The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

I reached out to NASA about our Lap Times system, and got this head scratching reply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm reaching out to various groups to see if we can get some support for the new Lap Times system, as I think it's pretty damned cool, and everyone seems to really like it so far. SCCA has been receptive and so have others. But when I reached out to NASA, this is the response I got from them:
Thank you for bringing this to our attention, but it doesn't appear to align with the mission and purpose of our web properties, NASA and its membership. Thanks again.
:wtf:

I don't understand why a group like NASA would be against the idea of showing support for an online community like ours, mentioning us in a news article, etc, when our site is full of people who participate at their events. It stands to reason we would all benefit from helping each other out. I would happily do more to help bring some more exposure to their events on our site, like take the time to add them all to our Events calendar - I've even offered to do just that. I've actually reached out to them to see if there's a spreadsheet for the events, and other ideas on how we could help each other out. They have shown no interest.

Here we are with a cool new Lap Times system that is pretty unique, fun, and could end up being pretty useful for Mustang track rats. And they don't see any value in helping us bring more exposure to it. Helping us doesn't align with their mission and their membership - or maybe the idea of recognizing a system that allows Mustang owners to submit and store lap times is problematic? I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me.

Someone should suggest to their leadership that they be a little less rigid with their unwillingness to show support for other groups who are more than happy to show support for them. For as welcoming and helpful as the racing community is for participants, you'd think it would be easy to get that same type of support for TMO from the organizations that put on the events.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Sounds like a canned response from their legal team. I don't have experience with NASA, but I've seen in other areas where it's a case of not wanting to have the appearance of "endorsing" or favoring one or more web sites / groups / spirit animals over others, and run the chance of having some members feel disenfranchised because their favorite site/group /spirit animal doesn't have favored status. So they have a blanket non-endorsement policy and reply with a response like that to everyone.

Just guessing here but it might also be pushback from the HPDE side of their operation that doesn't want to be seen as endorsing the recording of lap times outside of TT-style events?

Edit - which I personally think is kind of silly btw, but the attitude is out there among some groups.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Sounds like a canned response from their legal team. I don't have experience with NASA, but I've seen in other areas where it's a case of not wanting to have the appearance of "endorsing" or favoring one or more web sites / groups / spirit animals over others, and run the chance of having some members feel disenfranchised because their favorite site/group /spirit animal doesn't have favored status. So they have a blanket non-endorsement policy and reply with a response like that to everyone.
I get that, but how many other family owned and operated websites, groups, or spirit animals are out there working towards a similar goal and building cool things for track enthusiasts? It's not like there are a lot of other online communities left out there not named FecesBook or Instagrime. And I don't think those networks are going to give a damn about NASA showing TMO some recognition. I suppose someone in another vehicle platform might complain, but you know what? Maybe they should go out and build something worthy of being recognized in the track enthusiast community, instead of complaining. I don't see any other communities, groups, websites doing cool stuff like this.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Just guessing here but it might also be pushback from the HPDE side of their operation that doesn't want to be seen as endorsing the recording of lap times outside of TT-style events?
I suppose, but that would seem pretty short sighted in my opinion. All we're doing is giving Mustang owners a cool place to share and store their lap times. It gets people engaged and generates a little excitement. There are bragging rights involved, sure, but that isn't really the main draw of the system.

In any event, it would be nice to have a group like NASA take notice and offer some support. If they reached out to me, I know I'd be willing to help them, and wouldn't be worried about endorsing their events or their organization. I'm happy to work with multiple organizations, especially if they show an interest in helping us with what we're doing.

I suppose, but that would seem pretty short sighted in my opinion. All we're doing is giving Mustang owners a cool place to share and store their lap times. It gets people engaged and generates a little excitement. There are bragging rights involved, sure, but that isn't really the main draw of the system.

In any event, it would be nice to have a group like NASA take notice and offer some support. If they reached out to me, I know I'd be willing to help them, and wouldn't be worried about endorsing their events or their organization. I'm happy to work with multiple organizations, especially if they show an interest in helping us with what we're doing.
Make no mistake I totally agree with you @Ludachris, I'm just guessing at why you got such a weird reply

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
I'm reaching out to various groups to see if we can get some support for the new Lap Times system, as I think it's pretty damned cool, and everyone seems to really like it so far. SCCA has been receptive and so have others. But when I reached out to NASA, this is the response I got from them:

:wtf:

I don't understand why a group like NASA would be against the idea of showing support for an online community like ours, mentioning us in a news article, etc, when our site is full of people who participate at their events. It stands to reason we would all benefit from helping each other out. I would happily do more to help bring some more exposure to their events on our site, like take the time to add them all to our Events calendar - I've even offered to do just that. I've actually reached out to them to see if there's a spreadsheet for the events, and other ideas on how we could help each other out. They have shown no interest.

Here we are with a cool new Lap Times system that is pretty unique, fun, and could end up being pretty useful for Mustang track rats. And they don't see any value in helping us bring more exposure to it. Helping us doesn't align with their mission and their membership - or maybe the idea of recognizing a system that allows Mustang owners to submit and store lap times is problematic? I don't know. It doesn't make sense to me.

Someone should suggest to their leadership that they be a little less rigid with their unwillingness to show support for other groups who are more than happy to show support for them. For as welcoming and helpful as the racing community is for participants, you'd think it would be easy to get that same type of support for TMO from the organizations that put on the events.
Well, I just looked at their TT side on their website & it’s my guess but it seems like they want any lap times all to themselves using their proprietary system. I’d post a screenshot of the page but don’t want to poop in any ones oatmeal.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Well, I just looked at their TT side on their website & it’s my guess but it seems like they want any lap times all to themselves using their proprietary system. I’d post a screenshot of the page but don’t want to poop in any ones oatmeal.
Maybe. Though, giving us recognition wouldn't prevent them from continuing to be the main hub for TT lap times. We wouldn't be competing with them on that, seeing as how we're only focused on Mustangs. But I suppose that could factor into someone's thought process. It's a valid guess for sure.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Never meant to imply that NASA's response made any sense in this case. Just trying to spitball a possible reason.

Actually, it does make sense from a legal and insurance standpoint. No clubs that I am aware of keep timing for HPDE, it typically is a violation of how they are insured. Some clubs go so far as to specifically state no timing is allowed at their events.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Actually, it does make sense from a legal and insurance standpoint. No clubs that I am aware of keep timing for HPDE, it typically is a violation of how they are insured. Some clubs go so far as to specifically state no timing is allowed at their events.
If they were ONLY an HPDE organization, I could see that. Granted, I know a big portion of their business revolves around HPDE, but they do have a lot of Mustangs participating in TT and W2W competition too. But good point about legal and insurance. I wouldn't be too surprised if that was behind the response. Whatever it is, it's just too bad.

Understood. Some of the NASA regions do have records of live timing and scoring for each event, but I don't think you will find direct links to the sites from the NASA pages. You kind of have to know where and what you are looking for.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Soem Regions have lists of track records on their sites, so not sure what the big issue is. The Central Region, now the MidAmerica Region has listed results and track times for years and there have been track records for TT and W2W races so not really sure why there is any issue at all, since it is already there.

It's ludacrous that NASA passed up a great opportunity. We have 2 AIX NASA Championship winners here that have been active on the Lap Times System. Not to mention a Pitt Race lap record during a championship event that has been posted. Keep it going! Give it a little time and word of mouth. Hopefully we'll see more NASA racers show up here and contribute. They do not need NASAs permission to hang out with us....

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
When you scroll down through the list of “Member Benefits”, there’s a wide range of companies and services. I would guess these are paid spots and they’re most interested in generating revenue in exchange for access to their membership group.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
When you scroll down through the list of “Member Benefits”, there’s a wide range of companies and services. I would guess these are paid spots and they’re most interested in generating revenue in exchange for access to their membership group.

I suppose I could try to pay them to be on that page, but I was hoping for a friendly mention in their online News section:

I'd be happy to reciprocate, if they have something they'd like me to write about here on the site. But it doesn't seem to be something they'd consider.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One other possibility, if true, is a rumor that the main Owner wants to sell NASA ( likely since it is so popular now ) and he may not want to add any items to the group that may be changed or viewed by any potential buyers as a last minute inclusion. I know if was selling something this large I would want it to be static until the time of a Sale for buyers to have continuity. Now if there is no truth to the rumor it does seem silly when so many Regions post track records already in their current data and archives.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors