The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Input please - tire shops’ responsibilities re wheel damage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I purchased new Apex EC7 wheels (18x10) for my S550 and, separately, purchased new tires (275/40 18) and tpms. I don’t have equipment to install tires myself so, I use local tire shops. (Usually, I go to smaller shops, rather than national chains.)

I avoided the shop I had used for many years, because they scratched up my black oem performance package wheels last time I had them install new tires. Even worse, they didn’t tell me about it and didn’t want to take any responsibility for their actions. I’ll call this place “shop 1”.

So, I went to another shop where I’ve had good experience. I’ll call them “shop 2”. They did the installation and didn’t damage my wheels. So, why am I writing this?

When I called shop 2 and told the guy, who happened to be the shop manager, what I needed, he immediately said they would not take responsibility for damaging my wheels. He said that before I gave my name or any other information. That struck me as a little odd.

Now, I understand that large wheels and low profile tires can be challenging to install. But, my wheels weren’t large and my tires aren’t low profile.

Today, my son took new 17” Toyota 4Runner wheels and new 245/75 17 tires to shop 2. The guy said the same thing to him - they wouldn’t take responsibility for damaging the wheels. (My son went to shop 1 first. The shop owner refused to do the install because I had complained about them scratching my mustang wheels.)

At this point, I’m tempted to buy the equipment to mount my own tires.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Unfortunately this is pretty common in the Industry, and many shops , Dealerships , etc. even have customers sign off on this. With some rims costing 2-3K a piece, shops do not want the risk of a small scratch costing them 2-3K for a small profit item. Of course many places will not observe this criteria when the rims are purchased through them. Tough situation, but many high quality shops seldom have issues , yet they do discuss this with customers due to the high exposure. Some shops do not worry about it as they realize the rims can be refinished in almost all cases , but they often charge a higher price to cover the liability.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have two shops I use and new wheels always get the disclaimers for damage.

I usually say something along the lines of, "well, you haven't damaged any of mine yet...let's not start now. I trust you guys."

A little vote of confidence goes a long way when you can talk to the tech directly.

@Bill Pemberton, I can understand that to some extent. But, the guy that actually does the tire installation at shop 1 showed told my son their tire install equipment and, specifically showed my son the plastic parts that contact the wheels. The installer pointed out that the plastic parts were scuffed and had rough edges. He then said that’s what scratches the wheels. My son asked if they could replace the plastic. The guy told him they didn’t do that because the plastic cost $40.

So, they know their equipment is messed up; they know their equipment scratches wheels; and they have decided not to do anything about it. That just seems negligent.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Years ago I was in the tire industry with a national chain (more well known now, than then) for over 14 years, many of those years as a manager. Any wheels that were damaged due to installation were replaced. They even replaced wheels for unhappy customers who came back weeks later after curb damage, claiming that it was damage done by the tire mounting. Those were hard to swallow.

National chains typically have much better equipment and won't feel the pinch as much as a small shop if they have to replace a wheel. They also want to keep customers happy due to the stiff competition. Discuss with them your concerns and what their policy is for damaging wheels. You most likely will find that their policies are better than the small guys.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wotfun, you never mentioned that shop 1 would not replace worn items and no one would disagree that their attitude is negligent. I was not defending anyone, just explaining why many shops don't want to do rims and nothing more. Just an explanation and suggesting folks ask before getting tires mounted. We do quite a few rim changes since alot of others places do not want the exposure. Be prepared to pay more , usually , at places that do high end or large rims.

Last edited:
@Bill Pemberton, Apologies if my response seemed somehow negative in regards to your input. I didn’t mean it that way.

I added the extra info re shop 1 because my son had just gotten home and told me about it.

I appreciate your input and understand your point.

Based on responses to my post, it seems like the shop responses must be common. I just hadn’t experienced it before. But, even though I understand what everyone is saying, I still think it’s strange to be in business to perform a specific task and not be willing to take responsibility for damage caused. I haven’t experienced that with any other trade.

As an example, if my plumber or heat/ac guy breaks something while working on my pipes or hvac, they just fix it. I can’t imagine calling my plumber to get a leak fixed and him telling me he’ll come, but he’s not responsible if he breaks things while he’s here.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I agree, yet I think it is based on cost. Your plumber or a/c guy likely has maybe 100-200 fix for his error, one can have very high costs for some rims if damaged.

Just find a shop that is willing, and has alot of updated equipment for large and custom rims and you should be fine in the future....good luck my friend.

Sorry to hear about this happening to you. I had a friend in a similar situation, the shop ended up paying to have the rim refinished. Next time document the condition of the rims before any work starts and layout your expectations (them not damaging your rims). How is any decent tire shop today not using touchless equipment? I had my shop mount a 285/30/18 RE71R on a 9" wheel last year. While they struggled a bit to get it done, no issues whatsoever. The same shop even recently mounted the same tire on a 8.5" rim.

@KRyn, just based on my limited observations in the shops I’ve used recently, it seems like they have state of the art digital alignment equipment and high end road force balancing machines but they haven’t invested in current tire mounting equipment. Economics makes me think the tire mounting portion of their business isn’t a high priority. I’m in central Virginia. It’s probably different in large metropolitan areas where high end cars with super expensive wheels are more prominent.

@KRyn, just based on my limited observations in the shops I’ve used recently, it seems like they have state of the art digital alignment equipment and high end road force balancing machines but they haven’t invested in current tire mounting equipment. Economics makes me think the tire mounting portion of their business isn’t a high priority. I’m in central Virginia. It’s probably different in large metropolitan areas where high end cars with super expensive wheels are more prominent.

It might be worth your time to pick up the phone and call all the shops close to you and ask if they are using touchless equipment. Hopefully one is and you can start building a relationship with them. That way when you need something done last minute they are likely to help you out or if you auto-x and need someone to cram a stupid wide wheel on a much to small rim they will not just laugh at you.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I ran into similar problems, probably checked with a dozen tire shops before I found one that would mount tires on 18x11 rims. Other intersting item, we have a TireRack warehouse in Minneapolis which is great but don't go near any of the local shops, the prices to mount and balance the tires is crazy. I had Discount tire mount and balance the tires, installed the TPM sensors, installed metal stems in place of the rubber stems, out the door for 104.00 dollars and zero complaints or BS that I supplied all the parts. Even offered to price match next time I need tires.

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
I work for Discount/America's Tire and they have very good equipment and stress the importance of not scratching ANY customer wheels. If we do scratch them we use a third party vendor to repair them and take responsibility and cover the cost. IMO I would stick to the national chains for the comfort of knowing your wheels will be taken care of and if not they'll be repaired at no cost.

Do you have any race/specialty shops in your area? They won't be $4/tire like Walmart, but i bet they won't mess up your wheels.

The national chain will (probably) repair the damage they do, but the lowest paid, newest guy in the shop probably changes the tires, so they really aren't going to mitigate damage, only repair it.

Unless you are going to get a decent machine and are going to learn how to use it, I wouldn't recommend your own equipment. The table top Chinese machines are going to be 10000x harder to use without damage than an equivalent Hunter or Corghi. Even with a decent machine, it takes a decent amount of skill/practice to do low profile stuff without a hassle. @Bill Pemberton has seen me mount tons of low profile stuff without hassle or damage.

DaveW

Thanks guys! I really appreciate all the input. It’s really helpful.

I don’t know if any race or track car oriented shops in my area. But, I’ll definitely ask around.

As an aside, I’ve never bought tires from Walmart and never had them do any sort of work on my car. I understand that quality work usually warrants a higher price. As Dave W alluded to, Walmart sells on price more than quality.

I like to do my own work as much as possible and practical. When I do pay someone to do work for me, I expect them to treat my property respectfully and carefully. And, I expect to pay them a reasonable amount.

Last edited:

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My experience is that if you didn't buy the wheels through their tire shop, they always issues that disclaimer. I just had new tires mounted on my new Apex SM-10s and they warned me right up front. This was at Les Schwab and the manager came over and said he'd do the mounting for me. He did a great job. So I think the general rule is if you supply your own tires and wheels, you're going to hear this type of thing from the tire shop. BTW, the did my alignment and got me -2.6 camber (Maxed out with my set-up) and it ran me a total of $300.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Speaking of tire changes , DaveW, are you going to be in Hastings in just less than two weeks for the NASA event? If you are let me know , as I have two sets of tires I need dismounted/mounted (may have a third set if they get here in time) ?

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors