The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Intake tube not seated properly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I was attempting to reinstall the large rubber block in the front of the engine and had to remove the TB for room. I discovered that last time I reinstalled the tube on the TB I folded the bottom of the gasket over toward the inside while pressing it onto the TB. Then it was clamped down tight. I did not see any dirt inside, but there was definitely oil from the PCV in there on the butterfly valve and it was clean. So the big question is: should I be worried? I plan on removing the entire manifold early this week to spray it out with denatured alcohol and see if any grit comes out in a jar I will drain into. Hopefully there is none. Anything else I should look at while I am in there? Should I be worried? The clamp was not wimpy-tight and the rubber seems to still be in good shape. It went back on OK, but I have been running half the summer like that... Maybe 3k miles.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I would investigate further like you are saying, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If you didn't get any DTC's during that time or experience any ping/knock, the leak couldn't have been that bad.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
If it was sucking enough air to damage your engine, you would have felt a performance difference. It probably sealed better than you think.

I'd be more concerned about the oil in the intake tract. If you do remove your IM, let us know what you find.

Good Luck,
302 Hi Pro
Dave

Yea there seemed to be quite a bit of oil on the butterfly valve. I also noticed they passenger side pcv was much more oily than the driver side tube. There was a tiny bit of dark sooty looking oil on the inside edge of the green TB gasket, too.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
WinterSucks said:
Yea there seemed to be quite a bit of oil on the butterfly valve. I also noticed they passenger side pcv was much more oily than the driver side tube. There was a tiny bit of dark sooty looking oil on the inside edge of the green TB gasket, too.

Yes, the difference you see between the driver (R/Side) and the passenger (L/Side) is normal.

When looking at the PVC hose connections, you'll notice the L/side tube attaches behind the TB plate and is on the vacuum side of the IM.

The PVC valve operates as a one way or check valve. So under high vacuum conditions, (idle and returning to idle), air is drawn out of the intake tube, through R/side cylinder head, thru the engine to the L/side head, thru the PVC Valve and into the IM.

This is why owners who install both Right and Left side catch cans don't find oil collecting in the R/side (Drivers side) can, and why you will only find one, (1), PVC valve on our engines.

Catch can systems help to limit the amount of oil consumed thru the PVC system, (some better than others), but most do not eliminate this condition.

The Peterson system, (not Emissions compliant), does eliminate oil consumption thru the PVC, but it is an open system or a non positive system.

Hope this information helps.
Dave
2HP

TMO Supporting Vendors