The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Keeping the Boss cool?

I personally have not had any hot issues in my car BUT I am considering a supercharger in the very near future. In the past I have always just put a larger radiator and stronger fans in my high hp cars. Is there a simple solution? Is there a larger radiator with better cooling for the Boss? How about a better fan setup? I live in Florida so I am figuring my crap will melt with a supercharger?
 
1,435
349
jeepinocala said:
I personally have not had any hot issues in my car BUT I am considering a supercharger in the very near future. In the past I have always just put a larger radiator and stronger fans in my high hp cars. Is there a simple solution? Is there a larger radiator with better cooling for the Boss? How about a better fan setup? I live in Florida so I am figuring my crap will melt with a supercharger?

Good question. I'm curios about the GT350 radiator. It's designed for a supercharged 5.0 track car. CoolTech has an oil cooler you may want to look at. mustang_girl has removed the AC condenser from her LS with good results.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have used fluidyne rads in the past. on my supercharged 96 cobra while living in florida it was running at 220-230 after the rad it stayed at 180 and would brush to 190 after a run through the gears.

there is a big sale on fluidyne rads coming up at brenspeed. they will be selling them for 249 bucks. like them on facebook to watch for this sale. thinking about buying one just cause its so cheap. they nomral go for twice that
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,745
1,202
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Justin said:
I have used fluidyne rads in the past. on my supercharged 96 cobra while living in florida it was running at 220-230 after the rad it stayed at 180 and would brush to 190 after a run through the gears.

there is a big sale on fluidyne rads coming up at brenspeed. they will be selling them for 249 bucks. like them on facebook to watch for this sale. thinking about buying one just cause its so cheap. they nomral go for twice that
Justin
Do you have the Fluidyne part number for our car?
Steve
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
steveespo said:
Justin said:
I have used fluidyne rads in the past. on my supercharged 96 cobra while living in florida it was running at 220-230 after the rad it stayed at 180 and would brush to 190 after a run through the gears.

there is a big sale on fluidyne rads coming up at brenspeed. they will be selling them for 249 bucks. like them on facebook to watch for this sale. thinking about buying one just cause its so cheap. they nomral go for twice that
Justin
Do you have the Fluidyne part number for our car?
Steve
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
FLUIDYNE® Radiator Part # FHP20-05MU

Description/Specs:
Ford Mustang Direct Fit Radiator
Core Size: 24.0W x 19.6H x 2.09D
Core Style: 2-row with 1 inch tubes
Overall Size: 28.25W x 20.75H x 2.4D
Applications: 05-11 Mustang
Special Notes: *Fits all 2005-2011 Mustangs

fits the 12's and 13's as well. and here is the link disregard them not updating the years it will fit. here is the link
http://www.brenspeed.com/06-2001-b11692a.html

and this is from brenspeeds facebook page
Heads up! We just purchased a HUGE inventory of Fluidyne radiator's from a company's over stock at a crazy low price. We will be selling them for around $249 next week!!! They will fit 05-13 Mustang GT. Typical retail is $500 and we had been selling them for $425. We will let you know when they arrive. There will NEVER be a better time to purchase one of these. We will lower our price on www.brenspeed.com as soon as we know when they are arriving. Fit auto and manual.
http://www.brenspeed.com/06-2001-b11692a.html

comment from brenspeed said look for price update on there website around or on tues
 
What are the spec on the stock radiator? How many row? how large rows? I did see a three row somewhere.
 

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
You live in FL so ditch the antifreeze and go with Distilled water and Pencool 2000. Water is a much better conductor of heat than a water/antifreeze mix and also safer on the track.

Peter
 

zzyzx

Steve
299
0
Peter - Pencool 2000 appears to be for diesel applications. I'm sure you have knowledge otherwise. Please share your experiences with it. Never heard of it before.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
for 250 bucks the fluidyne wins. I know they make great radiators had one in a notoriously under cooled 96 cobra and in the florida heat it keep it right at 180-195 with a 180 thermostat and I drove the hell out of that thing.
 

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
zzyzx said:
Peter - Pencool 2000 appears to be for diesel applications. I'm sure you have knowledge otherwise. Please share your experiences with it. Never heard of it before.

Pencool 2000, used to called Nalcool, was developed for heavy equipment, marine applications and trucks to prevent corrosion by raising the ph of the water and prevent cavitation pitting of the cyl walls. I used it for over 30 years in the Citrus business and carried it over to my dedicated track M3 and also the GT3. Water wetter is nothing more than a surfactant that reduces surface tension.

If it good enough for a CAT it's good enough for me.

Peter
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,539
2,368
Arizona, USA
OLOABoss said:
Pencool 2000, used to called Nalcool, was developed for heavy equipment, marine applications and trucks to prevent corrosion by raising the ph of the water and prevent cavitation pitting of the cyl walls. I used it for over 30 years in the Citrus business and carried it over to my dedicated track M3 and also the GT3. Water wetter is nothing more than a surfactant that reduces surface tension.

If it good enough for a CAT it's good enough for me.

Peter

How much is this stuff and where can you buy it?
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
OLOABoss said:
zzyzx said:
Peter - Pencool 2000 appears to be for diesel applications. I'm sure you have knowledge otherwise. Please share your experiences with it. Never heard of it before.

Pencool 2000, used to called Nalcool, was developed for heavy equipment, marine applications and trucks to prevent corrosion by raising the ph of the water and prevent cavitation pitting of the cyl walls. I used it for over 30 years in the Citrus business and carried it over to my dedicated track M3 and also the GT3. Water wetter is nothing more than a surfactant that reduces surface tension.

If it good enough for a CAT it's good enough for me.

Peter
I would worry about it not being enough for the seals and lubrication for the pump.
 
518
14
I assume you have removed the foglight covers? You can also dremel out the solid parts of the grill, or just buy a Ford Racing 302s grill that already has all the work done for you, and you can save your stock grill for originality.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/xt3955.html
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/xt4160.html

Ford Racing also has a "Super Duty" radiator that will fit the Boss, but it is $6-700.
 

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
coboss said:
I assume you have removed the foglight covers? You can also dremel out the solid parts of the grill, or just buy a Ford Racing 302s grill that already has all the work done for you, and you can save your stock grill for originality.

http://www.blueovalindustries.com/xt3955.html
http://www.blueovalindustries.com/xt4160.html

Ford Racing also has a "Super Duty" radiator that will fit the Boss, but it is $6-700.
Guess no one here likes a fluidyne radiator. 250 bucks is cheap for that rad. fully tig welded pressure tested. oh well.
 
Actually, I really like the fluidyne, especially at that price. My preferred radiator, at any price, is the C&R Racing radiator. However, I will most likely end up with the FRPP radiator as I really feel that my dealer service manager is much more likely to go to bat for me on any "arguable" warranty issues if we can keep any non-Ford "scapegoat" parts out of the discussion.
 

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Moderator
2,848
13
Connecticut
Some owners have installed the 302S radiator but I don't believe anyone has seen any conclusive evidence that it makes a difference. I'd go for the 302S oil cooler before the radiator. I'd also de-install the A/C condenser before a radiator swapout also (since I do not drive my LS on the street).
 

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Moderator
3,745
1,202
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NY Metro
Does anyone have the radiator coolant capacities for the Boss, Boss 302S, Fluidyne and any other radiators available. I am running standard Boss wit 60/40 distiller water/Ford Specialty Orange + 12 oz of MoCool additive. Also running stock oil cooler and the 302S cooler. Highest peak ECT has been 232 at Pocono on a 90 degree day, normally runs 200-215 on track and 185 during normal driving. Oddly I have run with the AC on track with no appreciably higher temps.
Steve
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top