The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Kooks new headers. NO CEL!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
06mach1 said:
The "up to 14 HP" is with hi-flow cats. Here is LMR's statement....
" BBK has shown up to a 14 horsepower gain with these headers and a high flow catted mid-pipe alone!"
oh the old "up to" good catch. I am sure they are worth about the same as the kooks then.

First person to get the kooks needs to dyno their car before and after just to shut me up lol

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
Does that group buy include the Kooks H-pipe or is it just the longtubes and the connecting pipe? I already have the Kooks H-pipe so I'm hoping that'll save me some. Based on the price, I'd say it doesn't include the H-pipe.

Justin said:
oh the old "up to" good catch. I am sure they are worth about the same as the kooks then.

First person to get the kooks needs to dyno their car before and after just to shut me up lol
I agree with you - I'll do my very best to get a before and after dyno. I'm getting my install done @ JDM Performance here in Freehold NJ
1st parts will be kooks street perfs and jegs cat delete. About a month later the h pipe
High expectations are 12-14 before h pipe - even at that price point I think its worth it imo.

-Rob

LP Heaven said:
I agree with you - I'll do my very best to get a before and after dyno. I'm getting my install done @ JDM Performance here in Freehold NJ
1st parts will be kooks street perfs and jegs cat delete. About a month later the h pipe
High expectations are 12-14 before h pipe - even at that price point I think its worth it imo.

-Rob

What mods do you have already that will be on when you do your before dyno?

Sorry, if I am asking a dumb question as I am out of town a lot and catch up on the board when I am home. But can someone explain how these new short or mid length headers do not trigger a CEL and the long tubes do?

thanks

Ben

long tube headers eliminate the stock catalytic converters, thus triggering a cell.
the headers discussed in this thread bolt up to the stock flanges and retain the stock cats, so no cels.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
oldtimer50 said:
Sorry, if I am asking a dumb question as I am out of town a lot and catch up on the board when I am home. But can someone explain how these new short or mid length headers do not trigger a CEL and the long tubes do?

thanks

Ben
The shorty headers won't trigger CEL for a few reasons. The stock cats are used and the Oxygen sensors remain very near the stock locations. This keeps the temperatures and readings for catalyst efficiency within the parameters of the ECU. Secondly since you have the same cat efficiency readings a tune to shut off the rear O2 sensors is not needed, this action prevent the ECU from going into catalyst preservation mode, which would pull timing out of the ignition and flood the engine with fuel to try and cool off the catalytic converters. This causes a fail during emissions testing for cat readiness and cat temperature because the ECU has no feedback from the sensors with them off.

They probably pick up some power but don't believe that they pick up as much as full length headers with high flow cats and upsized x pipe. My car went from 405 to 432 RWHP when adding ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with 3". high flow cat x pipe.
I am currently working with a tuner to write a emissions tune with a modified anti fouler setup to pass NYS emissions with all sensors turned on.
Steve

LP Heaven said:

-Rob

Let us know if you are happy with the cat deletes. I have a pair sitting in my garage with two sets of anti fowlers, I plan to install some time this month.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
This "cat preservation" thing...never heard of it. Does it run all the time while a cel is on? I have been running with a cel for a year and I don't have reduced mileage (it actually improved with the header install)

Did your 28rwhp gain from adding the exhaust include a retune for the new exhaust? That number is on the high end of what I have seen.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
This "cat preservation" thing...never heard of it. Does it run all the time while a cel is on? I have been running with a cel for a year and I don't have reduced mileage (it actually improved with the header install)

Did your 28rwhp gain from adding the exhaust include a retune for the new exhaust? That number is on the high end of what I have seen.

Cat preservation mode happens when the rear O2 sensors read high temps down stream of the cats. This would happen under racing conditions only. My improvement came under this scenario; car was tuned by Brenspeed from a stock 368 rwhp to 405 rwhp with a Steeda GT CAI, Borla mufflers, Boss 302 intke, and BBK throttle body.

I added the American racing headers and catted x pipe and changed the CAI to Steedas Boss model which has a 104mm sample tube vs the 95mm GT tube. Steeda then wrote the tune for it, more conservative timing than the Brensped tune same 93 octane spec.
Reran the dyno 2 weeks ago and made 432 RWHP. Both numbers are SAE correction smoothing 2.

I am not down on the Kooks shorties because for the money they sound like the give you a good gain but they won't make the same power as long tubes.
Oddly the long tubes with larger primary tubes gained back a lot of the torque that I lost going from stock to the Boss intake, brought the torque curve up from 3-500 rpm where it dipped a little when I added the boss manifold. Old pushrods engines lost torque when you oversized the header primaries, Coyote/Road Runner engines heads must flow really well on both the exhaust and intake sides, seems that adding manifold flow on both sides give good gains even with stock cams.

Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
So, to be fair, your 28hp gain was with a bigger MAF and a different company tuning.

Still great gains all around. Gives me hope that I might be able to put my boss intake back on without felling like I lost power. I need to look into that big steeda MAF!

[Still great gains all around. Gives me hope that I might be able to put my boss intake back on without felling like I lost power. I need to look into that big steeda MAF!
[/quote]

You removed you Boss intake manifold? Which manifold are you using?

Ok, thanks for the info, but I also remember that someone (company) installed the Kooks long tubes with double cats and still could not get the CEL off. Isn't correct?

oldtimer50 said:
Ok, thanks for the info, but I also remember that someone (company) installed the Kooks long tubes with double cats and still could not get the CEL off. Isn't correct?
I think Cooltech, which sells the full Kooks system, could not eliminate the the CEL with the Kooks high flow cats but did eliminate the CEL with the double high flow cats. But that's a pretty expensive system.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
seca954 said:
[Still great gains all around. Gives me hope that I might be able to put my boss intake back on without felling like I lost power. I need to look into that big steeda MAF!

You removed you Boss intake manifold? Which manifold are you using?

My car is a GT, so I run the Stock GT intake. Oodles more low end power, but power fizzles out at 6500. I really do miss the "rev to the moon" attribute of the boss intake, but I spend more time in the low revs.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
So, to be fair, your 28hp gain was with a bigger MAF and a different company tuning.

Still great gains all around. Gives me hope that I might be able to put my boss intake back on without felling like I lost power. I need to look into that big steeda MAF!
Yes to both, Steeda tune is more conservative timing wise than the Brenspeed tune was. The bigger MAF tube was a $175 upgrade to get the elbow that fits the Boss intake correctly. These engines are very good air pumps, the bigger the inlet and exhaust the higher they rev and make more power.
Steve

Boss240 said:
What mods do you have already that will be on when you do your before dyno?

Only mod is Trackey currently. I'll be sure to post a full report about the Jegs cat deletes as well with the stock mufflers.
I am patiently waiting for parts !

-Rob

LP Heaven said:
I'll be sure to post a full report about the Jegs cat deletes as well with the stock mufflers.
I am patiently waiting for parts !

-Rob
from what I understand your wait will be over at the end of this month. Kooks scheduled release date for the headers.
Which cat deletes are you going to be using from Jegs?? Stainless or steel?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel