The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton said:
Have to agree with Gary, a 2:36 lap time the first time there is exceptional -- please commence patting yourself on the back!! That is really an accomplishment and you should be stoked!?!?
And rightfully he was :D He was grinning from ear to ear after that session :p

cloud9 said:
And rightfully he was :D He was grinning from ear to ear after that session :p

I am still smiling after running that, and the grin got even bigger when I was able to repeat to it. 8) Can't wait to feet back to RA and hopefully it is not a year away.

steveespo said:
Summit Point Main
1:27.02. Continental 285/305 scuffs, CJ intake. Lots of fun, ran 3 1/2 hours of track time with FD Sako and Trackdaze.
Steve
Wow that looks like almost a 6 second improvement? Congratulations!! Is that mostly the CJ intake or just more experience on that track?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Wow that looks like almost a 6 second improvement? Congratulations!! Is that mostly the CJ intake or just more experience on that track?

I would say 2 seconds from the tires, 3 seconds from experience, and 1 second from the intake, I gained 4 mph at the end of the main straight, but also had big gains in exit speeds all around the track.
One note about temperatures, I shockingly saw 305 degrees transmission oil temp during the last 45 minute session we ran. I really need to develop a trans cooler setup. I'm not the only one, all of you track rats are getting the same temps too, the MT-82 is stronger than we give it credit if it can survive those lube temps with that much power going through it. And no I had no shifting problems all day, with shift points ranging from 6800-7700 rpm.
Steve

steveespo said:
I would say 2 seconds from the tires, 3 seconds from experience, and 1 second from the intake, I gained 4 mph at the end of the main straight, but also had big gains in exit speeds all around the track.
One note about temperatures, I shockingly saw 305 degrees transmission oil temp during the last 45 minute session we ran. I really need to develop a trans cooler setup. I'm not the only one, all of you track rats are getting the same temps too, the MT-82 is stronger than we give it credit if it can survive those lube temps with that much power going through it. And no I had no shifting problems all day, with shift points ranging from 6800-7700 rpm.
Steve
I agree the MT-82 is stronger than it gets credit for now that we know the clutch was the real weak point. After installing the Exedy race clutch my shifting issues are gone. I couldn't believe how well it shifted at RA, especially 4 to 5. I think the Whiteline bushing helped as well, but the clutch and assist spring removal seem to be the key items.

In a 45 MINUTE session EVERYTHING'S going to get hot! :D

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Nice job Steve - hope I catch you at Watkins in August...

So what's that Boss intake doing now that you have the CJ? :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
DMichaels said:
Nice job Steve - hope I catch you at Watkins in August...

So what's that Boss intake doing now that you have the CJ? :)
Thanks Derek. I already sold the Boss intake and 85mm throttle body on SVTPerfomance. Didn't think it would sell well here, sorry I forgot there are a few GT Owners on the site. I have been fake so long even I forget I'm not a Boss Owner. ;D
Steve

steveespo said:
Thanks Derek. I already sold the Boss intake and 85mm throttle body on SVTPerfomance. Didn't think it would sell well here, sorry I forgot there are a few GT Owners on the site. I have been fake so long even I forget I'm not a Boss Owner. ;D
Steve
Hah fake Boss owner :D Is this a Boss site? I forget too. I think U2 pretty wells sums up your case Steve:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yrch66gdjjk

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
steveespo said:
Steve

Steve, I think you just wanted to make sure I don't get my car any faster ;D

I'm still jealous of your fake boss though! Looks like the CJ intake is awesome huh? When are you headed to LRP again?

DMichaels said:
Steve, I think you just wanted to make sure I don't get my car any faster ;D

I'm still jealous of your fake boss though! Looks like the CJ intake is awesome huh? When are you headed to LRP again?
Sorry to take this thread way offline, but I saw this semi-comlete kit is available for the CJ intake. I say semi-complete because it doesn't include a tune. I am wondering if anyone has developed a good email tune for the kit for those of us not near a tuner.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Ford-Racing-Cobra-Jet-Intake-Manifold-with-CFM-Twin-67mm-Throttle-Body-and-Cold-Air-Intake-for-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Boss-302-725p4977.htm#.U8BWx_ldUfg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Sorry to take this thread way offline, but I saw this semi-comlete kit is available for the CJ intake. I say semi-complete because it doesn't include a tune. I am wondering if anyone has developed a good email tune for the kit for those of us not near a tuner.

http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/Ford-Racing-Cobra-Jet-Intake-Manifold-with-CFM-Twin-67mm-Throttle-Body-and-Cold-Air-Intake-for-2011-2014-Mustang-GT-Boss-302-725p4977.htm#.U8BWx_ldUfg

I know Shaun at AED has experience with the CJ stuff, but he won't tune for anything other than the monoblade TB--so that kit is out if you want his tunes.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I know Shaun at AED has experience with the CJ stuff, but he won't tune for anything other than the monoblade TB--so that kit is out if you want his tunes.
Thanks. I'm not a fan of monoblade drivability based on prior experience.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel