The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Francisco
Nice. It would be great if you can add some kind of pics or video for your laps :)
Where u with Jani?
I tried to use a GoPro but no good mounting location + always running out of battery or memory.

I have been using the TrackAddict app recently but didn’t have a mount for my phone so the video was just of my center console. I just got a mount so the videos will come soon!

Next event is Sonoma on 5/5 with Corsa Club. I’d like to get down to a 1:50 on stock aero, if that’s not crazy.

C0C355D7-9966-4A39-92AE-78C89C2FD21E.jpeg

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Last edited:
gonna be up at Laguna Seca at the end of April, kind of curious how the Gt4 cars will stack up to Frankenstang.
It would be nice if some of you guys could get by

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
gonna be up at Laguna Seca at the end of April, kind of curious how the Gt4 cars will stack up to Frankenstang.
It would be nice if some of you guys could get by
When? What event?
Maiden voyage for Frankenstang isn't until may 14th.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Buttonwillow Backwards...makes more sense to me than frontwards....great run!
TYVM, and yes, it's an awful lot more fun -- I wish some people would just break from the CW13 elitism shiznit for once. That said, an HPDE track group generally consists of beginner/intermediate drivers, so the track backwards could spell disaster for a bunch of them, and hopefully not any strikes towards their insurance policy. I decided to full send up Phil Hill and while it was pretty damn cool, was rewarded with a now busted tire.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
TYVM, and yes, it's an awful lot more fun -- I wish some people would just break from the CW13 elitism shiznit for once. That said, an HPDE track group generally consists of beginner/intermediate drivers, so the track backwards could spell disaster for a bunch of them, and hopefully not any strikes towards their insurance policy. I decided to full send up Phil Hill and while it was pretty damn cool, was rewarded with a now busted tire.
How's that new track coming that they were working on?

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
How's that new track coming that they were working on?
I took a nice long good hard look at it the other night, and it doesn't look to have had any more progress. The levellers have levelled it, the dirt looks like the rest of the runoff areas, but I don't recall seeing any pavement there. I saw the skeletons of some structures far off in the distance, perhaps something to create some shade, but perhaps only a few day's worth of effort there. Perhaps the price of raw materials went up, or they're ordering it all from China, but I remember when our initial NASA SoCal 2022 schedule came out we had a date scheduled on the new track.

You gotta be real careful running tracks backwards. An HPDE instructor at the old Disney World track got killed that way, it was the end of the track. Tracks are designed to release emergency equipment in only 1 direction, so the walls are usually set that way. Run backwards, and you hit the end of the wall, not the flat side.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Reno, NV
You gotta be real careful running tracks backwards. An HPDE instructor at the old Disney World track got killed that way, it was the end of the track. Tracks are designed to release emergency equipment in only 1 direction, so the walls are usually set that way. Run backwards, and you hit the end of the wall, not the flat side.
No problem with buttonwillow, it can be run any direction. There are no walls other than one along straight.
I have run all configurations there and backwards. I don't know why people don't like running in opposite direction, treat it like another track.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Erlanger, KY
Course: NCM Motorsports Park Grand Full
Date: 4/24/2022
Time: 2:25.24
Tires: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 305/30/19 square on Apex SM10 wheels
Brakes: G-Loc R12 front and R10 rear
Recording: Track Addict with Garmin 10 Hz receiver

Disclaimer: This video is VERY SHAKEY. The camera mount was too rigid, but also possibly loose, and I thought the camera could compensate.
2.25.24 track speeds NCM 4-24-22.png

This is my second time at this track and 8th track day since being "bitten" by the bug last year. I spent all of day 1 and half of day 2 in the Novice group with an instructor. After completing my check-ride to drive Solo in the Novice group my instructor and I did a session with the Intermediate group to work on passing mid-turn and driving with faster traffic. Rather than run in the final session with the instructor in the Intermediate group I thought it would be better practice to drive solo in the Novice group for the last session of the day. As you can see, the track was completely empty (except for 2 cars), so I was able to hit 3 clean laps spread out across 7. Having a clear track was great because I was a little tired from the 2 days of driving. I was able to use the "traffic" laps to rest and clear my head for the next fast lap. After I hit the lap shown I decided it was best to call it a "win" and make the 3-hour drive home.

Some great lessons learned: - Mistakes happen; dwelling on them rather than making a note and moving on will only hold you back. My best lap of the weekend prior to this Solo session was in the 2:30.2 range with the intermediate group. All weekend, every time I made a mistake I would call it out to the instructor and spend the next 2 corners talking about what happened. I did this because I did not want to be seen as "dangerous" or "unaware". Reflection is good, but there is a time and place, but I was being distracted away from the immediate focus. While driving alone I made a number of mistakes (some very easily seen in turns 1 (turned in a little early and over-slowed into 1b), 2 (missed the turn completely), 5 (slow entry), 6 (over-slowed, and a little early on the turn-in), 10 (over-slowed and coasted into the turn rather than get back on throttle for 1 second and upset the car), 15 (over-slowed), and still many other mistakes not listed through 17-23). My point here is I knew I messed up when these things happened, but I just drove through and focused on the next straight/turn.

Lesson: BY ME FOCUSING ON WHAT WAS COMING INSTEAD OF DWELLING ON WAS JUST HAPPENED I CUT 5 SECONDS OFF MY BEST INSTRUCTOR LAP.
That is a great life lesson, too. Reflect and improve, but be careful to not negatively impact the immediate.

Lesson 2 - Do not make significant changes to your car 2 days before an event.
I changed my brake pads because the factory pads were pretty worn down and I feared they would not make it through the weekend. I also bled the brake system and added what is supposed to be a quality high-temperature brake fluid (Motul RBF 600). I ended up experiencing brake fade from the middle to end of each session, just as I was bringing my pace up. My problem was I could not identify the exact source because I had new pads, new fluid, and my bleed. I did a second quick bleed Sunday morning to check for air and pull new fluid into the system. This seemed to help a little, so now I can just evaluate the G-Loc pads. I was told by 3 different people to invest in Castrol SRF fluid, so I might go in that direction.

Anyway, NCM is a great track. 3.2 miles long with 23 turns and fun elevation changes. There is a lot to memorize and many cool combination sequences. It has a couple of places that can get you sideways or into a wall if you lose focus or drive in "hot". The facilities were damaged by a tornado in November, but the track is in great shape. I am looking forward to correcting a number of things and hitting that sub 2:20 mark.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Man, Steve another solid time and congrats on the two TT2 wins. Hoping to get on track with some R7s, but have to get studs installed and some other items to get the 18x11s on. I may do my first event on the Michelin Sport Cups that came with the car, but I am glad I will drop down to TT3, I would not want to compete against you with my 409 HP and over 3900 lbs in TT2, ha.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
consultjr - gotta be fun to be ahead of so many Porsches and Vettes! Love to hear about Mike Anderson in his Datsun Fairlady, as have to believe it was a 2000 as fast of times as he was turning. That was my first car, though mine was a 1969 instead of a 1968.

TMO Supporting Vendors