The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just to give everyone who watches this thread a heads up - I'm finally making some big progress on a new project for TMO. It's a Tracks/Lap Times database. It will be a directory full of road courses (US tracks to start with) in which members will be able to submit lap times to, and have those lap times tied to their vehicle profiles. Each track will have lap times lists for each track layout configuration. It's going to be pretty slick. I just wanted to share, as I'm pretty excited about it and I think many of you are going to really enjoy it once it's launched.
A Database would be very cool.

But loosing all the history of this thread would be tragic.

10-11 years ago, the Boss established a solid following for a very competitive track day/race car from Ford. The GT350 built on that foundation, yet still the modified OE Boss cars and 302S's are super competitive.

Lap times aren't just about vehicle profiles.

Ozarks International Raceway. GT350R ST2 Race car on Hoos R7's 2:43. Lots of mistakes.

This track is going to take multiple days to learn. Elevation changes are way more than the Video shows.

Racing will be even more challenging. Most of the overtaking lines are off camber and there are a lot of blind spots. FUN!!!

I'm not sure if I can import what people have already posted, but we can certainly try and manually input them for people. The only caveat is that each lap time will be tied to a "vehicle profile", so if the user doesn't have a vehicle profile created, we won't be able to add it. The thread will always live on though, and I can even link to it from the Tracks main index page for legacy reasons.
How are you going to deal with multiple vehicle profiles from a single user?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Year/Make/Model/Trim: 2011 GT 5.0
Track/Course: Road America
Best Lap Time: 2:48.53
Tire: 305/680/R19 - Conti Slicks
Suspension: Tons of cortex bits, JRi coils
Brakes: 4pto Brembos, St47 front St43 rear

Ran into traffic. 3rd time out in this car. Next time out I want to be in the mid 230's

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Black Boss , impressive run on the " American Nurburgring " and considering all my friends who have run there I have not heard of anyone who has not run the track with multiple mistakes and in my opinion yours were on the minor side. One of the faster times I have seen on this course and I will watch this video numerous times as I hope to finally run the track in June. The one piece of advice you noted to everyone is that the track will take many times, many days, and lots of seat time to perfect , but then that is part of the mystique of Nurburgring and it seems Ozark will the US track to bring out the same intrigue for track rats. Thanks for the posting!!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Great weekend at Mid Ohio with @Black Boss @2012-Boss and @Leo Capaldi . New Personal best on the Pro Course(No Chicane)
2018 Mustang GT PP2 NASA ST2 Racecar. Cortex JRi shocks Michelin S8M 30/68-18 slicks AP Racing brakes, Pagid RST3/RSL29 pads. 1:36.76
Enjoy the session, ran 3 PBs

Thats what I was going to ask. Do you have any aero vs non aero time comparisons?

unfortunately not any valuable ones because of how my build has progressed. But even with my simple flat splitter the front is planted much better (eg Sonoma turn 2, which can be hard to find front grip), and necessitated a wing to balance it out. It is effective enough that I would def recommend a wing first. The car was loose with the splitter and no wing, it was a handful to drive. This is with ~4.5” height and no tunnels. Would be 2-3x more effective at 3” with tunnels, but can’t get in/out my garage any lower than this.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Raytown, MO
Just got back from Ozarks International Raceway running the SCCA MiDiv Time Trials series (Majors was also going on). Managed a 2:46.75 on Saturday late afternoon. 2011 GT w/ 391 WHP, World Challenge Splitter, 9 Lives Big Wang at 0 attack angle, 3700 lb w/ driver, used Michelin Pilot Sport Cup slicks (305 wide, IIRC). Garmin says there is more time to be had. Fun track when things are going right, not so much when they are not. Luckily things went right for me.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for posting Al, had a recall with my truck and I was unable to the make the event, but glad you were able to test at the American " Nurburgring!" From the times I had heard folks run there it sounds like you made a solid run , so congrats. Do post a video of the roller coaster of a road course if you can. Hope to see you guys at Brainerd or Hastings.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
And now video.

I cut the session short because of a mistake coming into turn 3 and the tires were going off.
Based upon your camera mounting point, I take it those turns are as blind (or worse) than they appear to be. That looks like an incredibly fun track. I have run VIR Grand, and when completed to the 14.5 mile planned layout, this track will firmly hold the American Nurburgring moniker.

Nice run, btw.

TMO Supporting Vendors