The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Nice! How fast did you get on the back straight?
The esses kicked my ass
“Only” 150. I think I could go a little deeper but might be diminishing returns if overslowed.

Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2017 Ford Shelby GT350
Track/Course: NYST (New York Safety Track)
Best Lap Time: 1:34.595
Brakes: Stock with Raybestos ST43 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid
Wheels: 6GR R spec wheels
Tires : 305/50-19 front and 315 30-19 rear R spec Cup 2s
Suspension: BMR front bar on soft
Other Mods: FRPP air filter
Alignment: -1.8 front (1/16th inch toe out), -1.0 rear (1/8 inch toe in)
Weather: ~55 degrees, partly/mostly cloudy

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gawd, does that 350 sound sinister. Loved listening to you heel and toe and gonna have to change you to DocSmooth, as it appeared effortless and that is a busy track ( NY Safety Track ?). Tell us about this track, as though I am a long way from NY, never heard of this one and the name is odd -- State Patrol test track or something? Thanks, but have to go back and listen/look at this video again!! Caio!

As I understand it the track built in a loophole as a rider safety training center for motorcycle riders which is why it has the name it has. The jump on track is called "wheelie hill" because the motorcycle riders all launch off of it in a wheelie :) The track is a blast, but man it shreds the right front tire. I don't have nearly enough camber. The track is also really undulating and I was sitting on bompstops and scraping the splitter in places. Both rear tires have a small groove worn in the shoulder from the fender liner rubbing!

The track is in the middle of pretty mountainous/hilly terrain, the hills extend to the track!

I snapped this pic yesterday morning in paddock
mnM5fi9.jpg

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
We have run our shop test mule 2018 Mustang GT at 4 different tracks for a total of 11 days over the first 9 weeks of ownership. Most of these laps below are on the exact same setup: 19x11" wheels, 305/30R19 RE-71R street tires, G-LOC R16 pads, Whiteline single adjustable coilovers, 400#/in spring rates. At one point we went from the 14" to the 15" OEM brakes, but the 15" parts only added more lap capability, not so much additional stopping power. Otherwise the car is bone stock.

P7A_5277-L.jpg

We are running this street car nominally in NASA TT3 class but aren't even remotely prepped to the limit of this class. This class would normally entail giant Hoosiers, big aero, and a close eye on power-to-weight. We are running at 3948 pounds with driver and a full tank, putting us around 10.7:1 (class limit is 10:1 + better with modifiers).

76048894-978A1325-L.jpg

Here's the lap times worth sharing so far:

I know these aren't super fast lap times, just decent laps for street tires in a 2018 GT. I'm also just a hack autox driver. Build thread covered in the Vorshlag section.

Cheers,

Last edited:

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Make/Model/engine/trans/packages: 2017 Ford Shelby GT350
Track/Course: NYST (New York Safety Track)
Best Lap Time: 1:34.595
Brakes: Stock with Raybestos ST43 pads and Motul RBF600 fluid
Wheels: 6GR R spec wheels
Tires : 305/50-19 front and 315 30-19 rear R spec Cup 2s
Suspension: BMR front bar on soft
Other Mods: FRPP air filter
Alignment: -1.8 front (1/16th inch toe out), -1.0 rear (1/8 inch toe in)
Weather: ~55 degrees, partly/mostly cloudy

Nice work! That’s a tough but very fun track once you sort out the rythym. Amazing how fast that car is... 3 seconds better than my previous 2014 GT.

Nice work! That’s a tough but very fun track once you sort out the rythym. Amazing how fast that car is... 3 seconds better than my previous 2014 GT.

Thanks, I was shocked when I scrolled through the list and saw how much faster it was considering yours was so modded and on slicks (albeit fairly hard slicks). I guess I have a picture in my mind of Cup 2s being slow because they are for autocross... On track apparently not so much. When I pulled back into paddock and dropped my passenger off and cranked the wheel while stationary it left a big black circle on the pavement. Impressively soft & sticky!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Thanks, I was shocked when I scrolled through the list and saw how much faster it was considering yours was so modded and on slicks (albeit fairly hard slicks). I guess I have a picture in my mind of Cup 2s being slow because they are for autocross... On track apparently not so much. When I pulled back into paddock and dropped my passenger off and cranked the wheel while stationary it left a big black circle on the pavement. Impressively soft & sticky!

Ya those tires are probably equivalent to the hancooks I was in that day. Regardless, nicely done! Do you get there often? I’ve actially only been there twice due to the limited number of track days they’ve had. They dealt with some town politics I understand for a few years after opening... glad they’re running track days again

On a related note, have you watched the bikes run there? Some of those guys are ridiculous.

Ya those tires are probably equivalent to the hancooks I was in that day. Regardless, nicely done! Do you get there often? I’ve actially only been there twice due to the limited number of track days they’ve had. They dealt with some town politics I understand for a few years after opening... glad they’re running track days again

On a related note, have you watched the bikes run there? Some of those guys are ridiculous.

Nah, my first time there. Really enjoyable track and it does seem like they've sorted out the politics as there's a lot more on the schedule.

There's a bunch of pics of the bike guys around the track, like launching off of wheelie hill... I always thought bikes would be fun then I see that stuff and realize I don't have the guts to do that!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS is a quick study and he took advice like a sponge. Was easy to move him up a level during the HPDE and he was a surprise to the two quick C7 Vettes -- they could not shake him , but that might be due to the fact that he was easily as quick as they were , if not faster by the end of the weekend?!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
PS - Big thanks to TMS , as my set of spacers did not come in and I figured the 1/2 inch ones I had would probably work ---- wrongo!!! He not only had a set of 25mm ones , he offered to let me borrow them and then helped me install my Pirelli shod APEX rims. Helped is an understatement, as all I did was torque the wheels , ha,ha! The Pirellis wore great and the repaving at Topeka is phenomenal -- smooth track that does not eat rubber !!!

@Bill Pemberton you should start a new thread on your 302S so we can all follow along.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks Voodoo, but more fun to me to chat about events, folks on the Forum, and just hang around.....besides Tyme told me he was tired of my blathering about absolutely nothing , ha!

Heck, boneheaded Cornhead , here, I even forgot to take a picture of the car at the track, even in the paddock.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel