The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Let's Talk Aero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Nice. Just wish someone on this planet would make 11-14 things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AJ makes a wing for your car......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The tough bit about manufacturing splitters is they are easily damaged. Our wing kits sell pretty well because for the most part, you buy it once and you are set. A splitter though, you can potentially be replacing it after every off track excursion. So just from that alone, even if we developed the most badass splitter ever, a cost would come with it that most people wouldn't be able to justify. And since we are a business, we need to be able to sell products that work, not just make something that looks cool for fun. But yes, once we finalize our CFD, the parts will be available for anyone.

Last edited:
The tough bit about manufacturing splitters is they are easily damaged. Our wing kits sell pretty well cause for the most part, you buy it once and your set. A splitter tho, you can potentially be replacing it every off track excursion. So just from that alone, even if we developed the most badass splitter ever, a cost would come with it that most people wouldn't be able to justify. And since we are a business, we need to be able to sell products that work, not just make something that looks cool for fun. But yes, once we finalize our CFD, the parts will be available for anyone.
Kinda dumb question, but what about making the endplates/fences/etc out of composite and include the hardware and a template to cut the base splitter out of plywood?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Kinda dumb question, but what about making the endplates/fences/etc out of composite and include the hardware and a template to cut the base splitter out of plywood?
Or aluminum ;)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
What a great thread!

I had a little brain fart the other week and was wondering how one of our Miata mods would work and look on a Mustang.

This is an absolute low end mod and we usually use these on our SuperMiatas to reduce front lift. It's not a crazy improvement but it's cheap, holds up to w2w and gets the job done.
IMG_4002.JPG

The time trial class I run the Mustang in gets penalty points for splitters, while this solution is free of any penalty points. And that is what sparked this idea.

It actually looks better then I thought. Of course it would need some bracing and a decent undertray as well.
Now I'm wondering what the experts think of it.

Here is a quick mockup:
IMG_4413.JPGIMG_4414.JPGIMG_4415.JPG

Last edited:
Monaca Pa
What a great thread!

I had a little brain fart the other week and was wondering how one of our Miata mods would work and look on a Mustang.

This is an absolute low end mod and we usually use these on our SuperMiatas to reduce front lift. It's not a crazy improvement but it's cheap, holds up to w2w and gets the job done.
View attachment 3329

The time trial class I run the Mustang in gets penalty points for splitters, while this solution is free of any penalty points. And that is what sparked this idea.

It actually looks better then I thought. Of course it would need some bracing and a decent undertray as well.

Here is a quick mockup:
View attachment 3330View attachment 3331View attachment 3332

I did that to my rubber bumper MGB around 1980.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
What a great thread!

View attachment 3329

Here is a quick mockup:
View attachment 3330View attachment 3331View attachment 3332

If the OEM base/street '12 Boss splitter is allowed, I'd just run that. Or the OEM LS splitter if it fits in the rules for your time trial class. A lot of groups let you run any OEM parts available that are for the same body style.

That aside, I'd keep the air dam to about the height of the OEM GT air dam. Lower probably works for lower speed courses. I'd think it would be wasting HP on higher speed courses like WSIR or Fontana to go any lower.

You can see the GT air dam under the spitter on my car:

38625378026_ae3f8856bf_z.jpg

Regarding simple flat splitters made from plywood, aluminum, carbon fiber, or any other material, they will never perform as well as a splitter with tunnel elements, a properly designed leading edge, end plates and slots to deal with the vortices, and attention given to the canard interaction. We've learned that the underside of the splitter is the most important bit. To illustrate this, taking a leap ahead on Project Crusher, here are sweeps for 3 splitters, at a static ride height of 3". Sweeps with pitch and ride height sensitivity will be forthcoming. The AI7 splitter is the 7th iteration (and the chosen one) for Crusher in AI trim, and ST4 is the chosen iteration for the unlimited trim. The flat blade splitter was constructed by taking the bumper contour of the S550 and extruding it 5" (to the max allowed in AI, and cutting it off at 76.5" wide- also the max allowed in AI).

We believe when racers start to use real splitters to balance their expensive and pretty wings that run at nearly 0 AOA, a light bulb will go off in their head and they'll realize what downforce is all about. Yeah, it will be a pain loading on and off the trailer, and try not to drive off track, but you can't argue with the math.

splittergraphs-blog.png

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Regarding simple flat splitters made from plywood, aluminum, carbon fiber, or any other material, they will never perform as well as a designed splitter with tunnel elements, a properly designed leading edge, and plates and slots to deal with the vortices, and attention given to the canard interaction. We've learned that the underside of the splitter is the most important bit. To illustrate this, taking a leap ahead on Project Crusher, here are sweeps for 3 splitters, at a static ride height of 3". Sweeps with pitch and ride height sensitivity will be forthcoming. The AI7 splitter is the 7th iteration (and the chosen one) for Crusher in AI trim, and ST4 is the chosen iteration for the unlimited trim. The flat blade splitter was constructed by taking the bumper contour of the S550 and extruding it 5" (to the max allowed in AI, and cutting it off at 76.5" wide- also the max allowed in AI).

We believe when racers start to use real splitters to balance their expensive and pretty wings that run at nearly 0 AOA, a light bulb will go off in their head and they'll realize what downforce is all about. Yeah, it will be a pain loading on and off the trailer, and try not to drive off track, but you can't argue with the math.

splittergraphs-blog.png

I'm sure some of the S197 guys who *compete* would want *something* like these (if allowed or not too heavy a point tax) many of them are finding balance by taking rear wing out...which is just unfortunate.

This data is just too good...hard to ignore!

TMO Supporting Vendors