The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Limited budget for 2022 - which route? 10" wheels/tires or suspension? '21 GT PP1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
My '18 came with 20x9.5 rims all the way around with 275/35-20 tires. I don't believe Roush did anything electronically to compensate for the larger-than-stock tire diameter on the front. One interesting thing is my 19x11 Apex EC-7 ET52 rims with 25mm spacers actually have slightly more strut clearance than the Roush rims. If you used the different offset rims that Apex makes for the 19x11 (ET52 rear, ET26 front) along with good camber plates, you could still get away with 305s all the way around, just not with the ability to rotate front to back. You could always mount/dismount to accomplish the rotation, though. I've had several 300+ mile trips with my 305s (RT660, -2.7 camber, 0 toe) and it's actually worked quite well. I did load up the 4 tires in the car for a trip from Kansas to Michigan, though. The 19x10 rims would be a simpler solution, but you'll always have smaller tires than the "serious people". I did a fair amount of information gathering before I got rims and decided that because I autocross, the taller rim/tire setup was necessary to keep me out of 3rd gear for autocrossing (top speed is still over 70 in 2nd with the 3.73 gears and the '18+ transmission).

As some others have said, I think tires will do more than suspension. My before/after going from 275 Continental Sports to 305 RT660s netted about a 5 second improvement (give or take - not done scientifically) on a 60 second autocross course. It can be debated how much of it was tire size and how much of it was going from a 340TW to 200TW, but whatever it is, the results are definitely much improved. I upgraded my front brake air deflectors to a version of the Vorshlag units. They helped keep temperatures in check on the road course for me (although I'm definitely not as hard on brakes as some people are). I'll probably switch to G-loc pads and retain the stock rotor blanks. For me, the few extra hundredths or tenths isn't worth the cost of going to 2-piece rotors at this point. I do HPDE for fun, and my autocrossing will improve way more with driver mods than with slightly lighter brakes.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
If you used the different offset rims that Apex makes for the 19x11 (ET52 rear, ET26 front) along with good camber plates, you could still get away with 305s all the way around
This was the option I go with as I don't want to run spacers for safety reasons. Still not mounted tires and didn't try the fitment but it should work fine. Also this ET26 wheels do look mean.

If your budget is limited then wheels and tires, plus the camber plates, the PP suspension is close enough, at least for now.
With regards to the imbecilic "spacer rule" from Canada, it reminds me of one of the tire rules in the EU has to do with noise from the tires, they actually have a limit on that. Government is like a cancer, constantly eating away at people's ability to control their own lives.
Time to plug SEMA, which all of you should be subscribed to

What safety reasons? Spacers are not dangerous.
The spacers that utilize extended studs, like those made by OP Mustang, are safe. However, I have witnessed failures from spacers that bolt to the original short lugs and have their own lugs for the wheel (see below). In my opinion, those should be avoided. While I know that everyone here colloquially mentioning spacers is talking about the extended studs method, I just wanted to offer some clarification since the two styles often get lumped together in casual conversation.

1640700720977.png
1640700431966.png
1640700441757.png

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Those things are called 'adapters' in Ontario and perversely enough they are legal on the road whereas spacers are not. They have twice the potential points of failure that a spacer has. I worked for the province and knew the people who came up with this stuff. Let's just say the best and brightest in the field are not working for government.

The spacers that utilize extended studs, like those made by OP Mustang, are safe. However, I have witnessed failures from spacers that bolt to the original short lugs and have their own lugs for the wheel (see below). In my opinion, those should be avoided. While I know that everyone here colloquially mentioning spacers is talking about the extended studs method, I just wanted to offer some clarification since the two styles often get lumped together in casual conversation.

View attachment 71306
View attachment 71304
View attachment 71305
Lucky that fuel cell was a "tech item" they are supposed to be high enough in the chassis so that if you lose a wheel, they won't contact the pavement

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Just one of the examples what happens when spacers fail on track.
Was that a from a proper spacer? or one of those crappy adapter things with bolts mounted in aluminum?? As BS1 said, a disc spacer will not fail with proper bolts.

Just to be clear...these fail all the time...

1640785627179.png

these do not...
1640785701259.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
And to make the point a little clearer.... Most, if not all of us that are racing, are running 20 to 25mm spacers with 315 hoosiers (or larger...) and making 1.5 g in the corners at high speeds. All kinds of things fail... but not the disc spacers

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Over the years of usage studs can fail, hence you can lose a wheel and then the spacer. The failure was not with the spacer it was with something we all have to remember a racecar needs, routine maintenance. Spacer ( item #2 shown by Madhatter ) don't fail, but #1 one does and it is because the studs break. If you are racing , even with ARP studs , this is something you should monitor with your maintenance and they may need replaced at some time in the future.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
IMG_9015.jpeg

Here is another photo of what happen when spacers / lug nuts fail. Sure you may think it's fine to run spacers but it only take one such accident to end up with an expensive repair or in the states maybe even with a totalled car. Let's not forget that regular insurance doesn't cover track days as well. So is it worth it is the real question ?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Spacers, at the tyme, may always seem like a good idea ....But they will always degrade the value of their intention......always..............................
I just don't know what to say to this...! Sounds like its from a fortune cookie label printing machine.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
View attachment 71330

Here is another photo of what happen when spacers / lug nuts fail. Sure you may think it's fine to run spacers but it only take one such accident to end up with an expensive repair or in the states maybe even with a totalled car. Let's not forget that regular insurance doesn't cover track days as well. So is it worth it is the real question ?
I do not understand where your going with this. Spacers are pretty much part of racing a Mustang. Much more worried about the state of the lugnuts, and any ways, you should treat them as a wear item.

TMO Supporting Vendors