The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Houston
Howdy from HUEston, TX
This is my second mustang but my first HPDE car and it all started as a goal of mine at 50 to have a s550, 5.0 and 500rwp fun car. So it began as 2018 P1, magnaride and is becoming a very capable track car. I've completed 2 instructor based events at COTA 1 year ago and and several intermediate HDPE at the local track MSR-H. I really enjoy the road course and look to do some more around the the TX area and eventually branch out some some out state tracks.

Learning curve on components and setup and function has been a challenge at times and I'm at a point where I need to learn what others are doing with the platform and look forward to reading more topics here.

Here's a picture my wife took before Quarantine with 5.0s leading the pack....

ABB_0317.JPG

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Howdy from HUEston, TX
This is my second mustang but my first HPDE car and it all started as a goal of mine at 50 to have a s550, 5.0 and 500rwp fun car. So it began as 2018 P1, magnaride and is becoming a very capable track car. I've completed 2 instructor based events at COTA 1 year ago and and several intermediate HDPE at the local track MSR-H. I really enjoy the road course and look to do some more around the the TX area and eventually branch out some some out state tracks.

Learning curve on components and setup and function has been a challenge at times and I'm at a point where I need to learn what others are doing with the platform and look forward to reading more topics here.

Here's a picture my wife took before Quarantine with 5.0s leading the pack....

View attachment 15204
Welcome! Glad to have you here.

That's a scary looking turn. Wonder how many cars have gotten it wrong. 😬

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
a goal of mine at 50 to have a s550, 5.0 and 500rwp fun car.

Not sure if you timed your intro -- if not crazy coincidence that you are the first post on Page #50 of this thread!! Welcome to the site

Hi all, I’m considering joining the club and buying a 2018 or newer Mustang for track use and occasional street driving as a spare car. I currently drive a 2015 Ferrari California T as my daily and our (my wife and I) current spare car is a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4.

I don’t want to deal with the maintenance and depreciation of tracking the Ferrari and the Maserati is a really fun street car but not really much of a track car so I’m looking to replace it with something that can double as a third car for the family (my wife has a 2017 Audi Q7 Premium) and a track car for me. My wife has always wanted a Mustang so we’re looking forward to joining the community and currently researching our options.

A few years from now I’ll probably think this was an embarrassing comment for reasons I’m not yet aware of, but for the moment we’re looking at either a nicely optioned 2018+ GT Premium 10-speed with at least PP1, a basic GT that we mod aftermarket or maybe a Kenny Brown GT4 car (CS) if you guys have good things to say about those. Really what we’d like is a GT500 with a track pack and Tech package but I’m not willing to sell the Ferrari to make that happen so lowering my sights for now!

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Hi all, I’m considering joining the club and buying a 2018 or newer Mustang for track use and occasional street driving as a spare car. I currently drive a 2015 Ferrari California T as my daily and our (my wife and I) current spare car is a 2014 Maserati Ghibli SQ4.

I don’t want to deal with the maintenance and depreciation of tracking the Ferrari and the Maserati is a really fun street car but not really much of a track car so I’m looking to replace it with something that can double as a third car for the family (my wife has a 2017 Audi Q7 Premium) and a track car for me. My wife has always wanted a Mustang so we’re looking forward to joining the community and currently researching our options.

A few years from now I’ll probably think this was an embarrassing comment for reasons I’m not yet aware of, but for the moment we’re looking at either a nicely optioned 2018+ GT Premium 10-speed with at least PP1, a basic GT that we mod aftermarket or maybe a Kenny Brown GT4 car (CS) if you guys have good things to say about those. Really what we’d like is a GT500 with a track pack and Tech package but I’m not willing to sell the Ferrari to make that happen so lowering my sights for now!

I look forward to chatting with you all.

Cheers!
Welcome Andrew, thanks for joining. I'm curious to see where you end up on this, and what others chime in with. The 10-speed is not a common choice for most people here but I won't be the one to try and talk you out of it. I'll let others more experienced than I give you some input. :) Again, welcome!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome to the TMO Forum and we promise to guarantee you plenty of fun along with some of the best technical and fabricating knowledge you can find on any Website.

Welcome Andrew, thanks for joining. I'm curious to see where you end up on this, and what others chime in with. The 10-speed is not a common choice for most people here but I won't be the one to try and talk you out of it. I'll let others more experienced than I give you some input. :) Again, welcome!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I’ve not heard great things about the gear ratios on the 2018 and newer 6-speed, at least compared to the gearing on the earlier cars and the current gen of 10-speed. I’d assert there’s no debate that a 6-speed is more engaging in regard to driver involvement and the 10-speed is faster in regard to lap times. That and my wife doesn’t seem interested in learning to drive a stick and this is her dream car and my track toy so I have to at least consider her in the purchase. Otherwise I’d be asking who had a GT350R for sale!!

At this point though, my mind can be changed about anything Mustang related. I’m here to learn.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
GT 350 Heritage Edition allocation verified for build
GT 500 Green/Black Stripe
GT 500 Silver/Black Stripe

So can help you either way , now that momma has given you the okay. I always ask first two, and it has paid off over the years. Asking seems to work well for you considering your current garage mates!!??

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
GT 350 Heritage Edition allocation verified for build
GT 500 Green/Black Stripe
GT 500 Silver/Black Stripe

So can help you either way , now that momma has given you the okay. I always ask first two, and it has paid off over the years. Asking seems to work well for you considering your current garage mates!!??
Talked to him privately and it sounds like he’s looking at buying used. Anyone have tips for him they’d want to share on what to look for in that case? Maybe what to look out for?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Biggest tip is if he finds a 2016 to make sure it has the " Track Package," since we all know the "Tech Package " ones have a tendency to overheat the tranny, at times, on track.

Last edited:
Biggest tip is if he finds a 2016 to make sure it has the " Track Package," since we all know the "Tech Package " ones have a tendency to have the tranny overheat at times on track.

Indeed looking for something used. The (probably exaggerated) engine issues of the early models has me a little nervous and the R models have me a little jealous, but if the mrs is on board with learning to drive a stick and provides the thumbs up for a used non-R I’m not going to make the mistake of waiting around.

I’m both big and fat (6’2” 260lbs) so I think the convenience/tech pack will be the better choice even though my ego prefers the Recaro seats. I hear you guys loud and clear that the track pack is a must if buying pre-2017.

is there any merit to the logic that if I’m worried about engine flaws that something with “high” mileage (say 20k-ish) would put me in the clear because if it was going to fail due to manufacturing mechanical flaws, it would have happened by then? Or is that non-sense thinking? Of course I checked for unaddressed recalls by VIN each time I look at a car.

Now it just comes down to finding the right one at the right price

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
2017 on up ,no issues, since all the goodies ( tranny cooler, etc. ) from the 16 track package are standard and there are plenty out there without the Recaros. Sounds like you have an understanding wife and soon the only problem will be how to get her hands off the GT 350, haha.

Indeed looking for something used. The (probably exaggerated) engine issues of the early models has me a little nervous and the R models have me a little jealous, but if the mrs is on board with learning to drive a stick and provides the thumbs up for a used non-R I’m not going to make the mistake of waiting around.

I’m both big and fat (6’2” 260lbs) so I think the convenience/tech pack will be the better choice even though my ego prefers the Recaro seats. I hear you guys loud and clear that the track pack is a must if buying pre-2017.

is there any merit to the logic that if I’m worried about engine flaws that something with “high” mileage (say 20k-ish) would put me in the clear because if it was going to fail due to manufacturing mechanical flaws, it would have happened by then? Or is that non-sense thinking? Of course I checked for unaddressed recalls by VIN each time I look at a car.

Now it just comes down to finding the right one at the right price

i’m 6’5 and 230, love love the electronic pack seats.....except when using the cooling feature (even in my volvo) it feels like i wet my pants.

welcome, you have hit the motherload of knowledge in regards to track mustangs. i see you have a lil one.....i did not get an R because there isnt a back seat. If you guys are worried about the 6spd....what about the New gt500?

i’m 6’5 and 230, love love the electronic pack seats.....except when using the cooling feature (even in my volvo) it feels like i wet my pants.

welcome, you have hit the motherload of knowledge in regards to track mustangs. i see you have a lil one.....i did not get an R because there isnt a back seat. If you guys are worried about the 6spd....what about the New gt500?

well I would do GT500 all day if I could pick one up for $40k ... but this is real life so sadly that’s not possible. Maybe in 5-6 years. I think they put backseats in the R now don’t they?

In my profile pic with my kid in the back of the car. That was probably the highlight of my car life, my first time loading him up in the (tiny) back seat of my Ferrari when we picked it up from the shop after all the post purchase fixes were done.

ideally we can pick up a nice track Mustang and have more family highlights together.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel