The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi All, I've been lurking around for the last couple days. I'm new to the track car scene.
I've tracked my car at BIR 3 times and my goal is to run every track in the USA that I ran on a bike. I have a history of Motorcycle Roadracing and have made the switch. My RR friends tease me that "with age comes a cage"
I own a 2016 GT PP with quite a few mods, A couple I made before I realized I was going to track the car. I.E. Roush hood scoop, side scoops. :eek:
I look forward to many years of my new found obsession. Be patient with my newbie questions if I can't find an answer with a 6 second search. ;D

TMSBOSS said:
Welcome.

Sounds like a great goal. How many tracks will you need to run before eclipsing your goal?
Daytona
Road America
Mid Ohio
New Hampshire
Topeka
BlackHawk Farms
Gimli Canada

Shouldn't be real tough as its not a long list.

mnmike59 said:
My RR friends tease me that "with age comes a cage
I love it! Better to have a cage and make another birthday. We don't heal so fast as we get older but we do get smarter. ;) I've owned about 30 motorcycles, the majority dirt bikes, and haven't done any road racing on a motorcycle. Regardless I like the safety of a closed wheel and closed cockpit car.

BTW those scoops come off as easily as they went on.

Welcome to TMO.

Hello TMO,

I've been an on/off lurker for well over a year. All of the information on this site helped me to finally purchase a Boss Mustang. Before I get to the car, I would like to compliment everybody on the intelligent conversation that seems to go on here. I gave up on the "general" Mustang websites some time ago (mostly due to not enough time). But, during my research into the Boss Mustangs, I kept coming back here because I almost always found an honest answer and things were well documented for sharing with all. Being an engineer, I like and respect that approach.

Now onto the good stuff. I recently bought a 2012 Boss 302 LS in silver and red. It is #291. It came with the floor mats and cover. The original window sticker (and environmental performance sticker) plus all owners manuals (including Boss supplement) were with the car. It has just over 17K miles. The only modifications that I know about are Eibach Sportline springs (originals came with the car), a Cool Tech bolt in cage (I believe that is the brand), and the sound tube has been removed from the intake. It is otherwise stock.

I am a newbie to Boss Mustangs and can't wait to get to the track for my first time. It looks like a lot of fun. I've always skewed towards the balanced car side of the equation when I build my cars instead of a max power effort. The Boss was my first choice for that reason.

I am a life long Ford fan and have owned a hand full of Mustangs in the past. I currently have a heavily modified 95 GT in addition to the Boss and my daily driver 2014 F150.

Here is the Boss when I bought it:
XqnDPQA.jpg

Here is the roll cage:
xK1axkm.jpg

Here is the Boss at home with its new "family":
pDFMiVb.jpg

I am looking forward to participating in the community and hopefully meeting some of you at the track. I am located in southeastern PA, northwest of Philadelphia.

Jim

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Jim:

Welcome to the TrackMustangsOnline, (TMO), Forum. I have to agree with you as this forum is a great resourse for our Mustang Boss 392's. You find the Members here are truly dedicated to helping others with all things Mustang.

Looks like you were able to find a real nice 2012 Boss 302 LS and she should provide you with many miles of enjoyable track and street driving.

All the best with your new ride and I look forward to reading about your Boss 302 Ownership experience.

Kind Regards,
302 Hi Pro

LS291 said:
Hello TMO,

I've been an on/off lurker for well over a year. All of the information on this site helped me to finally purchase a Boss Mustang. Before I get to the car, I would like to compliment everybody on the intelligent conversation that seems to go on here. I gave up on the "general" Mustang websites some time ago (mostly due to not enough time). But, during my research into the Boss Mustangs, I kept coming back here because I almost always found an honest answer and things were well documented for sharing with all. Being an engineer, I like and respect that approach.
Jim welcome to TMO. We purposely keep the BS off the forum and hope to continue to do that. It's a collaborative effort from the members and they make it easy to moderate the forum. The Boss is an awesome car and it looks like you picked a good one. Yes that's a Cooltech roll bar. You also chose wisely with your graphics package on your truck. ;D Enjoy your new to you Boss 302!

!
VoodooBOSS said:
You also chose wisely with your graphics package on your truck.!

Thanks. My personal preference is the 2012 model year but had I gone to a 2013, I would have had identical hockey sticks!

I appreciate the warm welcome.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
LS291 said:

Welcome-to-the-party.gif

That is one heck of a garage--I'm jealous!
Amen to your "balanced build" approach. The car has enough power already. What it needs are tires, brake pads/fluid, and driver seat time!

You will have a great time at the track with your LS. Enjoy!

Thanks, ArizonaBOSS!

That is the general game plan for my Boss.

1. Fix the factory weak links.
2. Get some driver training.
3. Have fun!

Hopefully, I do not turn it into Swiss Cheese ;)

I'm Jason in TN. I bought a used 2015 Mustang GT a few weeks ago. It's mostly going to be a beater and weekend fun car, but I was referred to this site to learn more about the drivetrains and suspension. You never know what you might get into in the future. I previously owned a couple 2005 STIs, miata, and 03 Cobra. Right now I take turns driving the mustang and a jeep wrangler rubicon. The opposite ends of the spectrum.

20160619_stang2_small.jpg

Poor mans Boss in MA here.
14 Track Pack GT
GT500 single tip axle backs
Bobs Catch Can
Cals caliper brackets with OEM rotors
MGW race spec compact version
Track Key
Now to find some time to put miles on it at PMP.

5cdd52c576432cb016a53e1b04a7ecea.jpg

Welcome aboard mate.
Be prepared to learn everything you wanted to know about your mustang and even some things you don't need to know.
You have a very nice looking Track Pack GT.
Your not that far behind a Boss. With some mods here and there you will be right there. That's if your looking to go that route.
From what I read your not off to a bad start.
Again WELCOME!!!

Greetings from sunny and hot Arizona.

I joined the forum this weekend and wanted to do a quick intro. First thing, I’m probably in the minority as I don’t own a Boss 302. I have a 2011 GT500. My main interest in joining this group was to get some more information and tips on road course/HPDE work since that has been my main focus for the last 4 years. I have always been much more interested in hitting an apex correctly than getting my ET times down. Almost all my mods are concentrated on better suspension, braking, sticking to the road and shifting. As my setup has gotten more complex, I’m starting to look more closing at safety upgrades and other fine tuning adjustment on my ride, along with improving my skills. Hoping to learn a few things and meet new people with similar interests. On a personal side, I’m a USAF vet and work in the IT industry.

THX, Barry

barspen said:
Greetings from sunny and hot Arizona.

I joined the forum this weekend and wanted to do a quick intro. First thing, I’m probably in the minority as I don’t own a Boss 302. I have a 2011 GT500. My main interest in joining this group was to get some more information and tips on road course/HPDE work since that has been my main focus for the last 4 years. I have always been much more interested in hitting an apex correctly than getting my ET times down. Almost all my mods are concentrated on better suspension, braking, sticking to the road and shifting. As my setup has gotten more complex, I’m starting to look more closing at safety upgrades and other fine tuning adjustment on my ride, along with improving my skills. Hoping to learn a few things and meet new people with similar interests. On a personal side, I’m a USAF vet and work in the IT industry.

THX, Barry
Welcome to TMO. There are lots of non Boss owners here including me! Sounds like you're following the path many of us have taken. Your speeds pick up and then the light goes on that it's time for more safety equipment. Roll Bar, Hans, fire suit etc. Be safe out there!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Barry

It's a Mustang.....your good!!!!!

There are several members who have had and currently have the GT500. I am sure they can assist, advise.

Be aware. We do know how to spend OPM!!

I small investment in safety gear, up front is wise. We have a member who recently wrecked his GT-350 and walked away with a bruised wallet and dented ego. He spent money on himself first (safety gear) and then the car. Smart man.

You likely have all the power you need right now. Safety, brakes, suspension etc are likely what you will want.

Don't forget driver mods. A good school or two with coached track time is likely to yield the best return performance wise.

Welcome!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel