The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MGW installed, excessive noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First off, I love the way this car now shifts with the MGW Shifter, its way better than stock. What I dont like is how much noise is coming from and out of the shifter area.
Is that normal? I had a shop that has installed many others do the work, so I assume and hope that all the sound deading was used. The heat shield was also installed.
What do you think?

I have not heard of this problem before. Best thing is to contact MGW and talk with George. From what I know about him, he stands behind his product and is willing to spend time with you on the phone or whatever it takes to make sure everything is correct.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Did you purchase the shielding and insulation with the shifter?

If the MGW provided rubber boot was not installed correctly, there will be excessive noise coming into the car. To check, remove the center council and have a look. The boot should be firmly seated to the floor pan. As well as correctly fit to the shifter it self. This portion of the install was a pain in the ***. If the boot is not installed correctly all road, shifter tranny, and other noises will be allowed into the car.

The only noiticeable difference for my car was the slight increase in vibration I feel through the shifter ball. With my hand off the shifter there is no difference from stock.

Good luck tracking down the noise. :)

Trace

I talked to George at MGW and he made similar suggestions that TMSBOSS mentioned. So I will check it out and let you know.
I am also going to check with the people that did the install to see if they used all of the sound deading that was supplied.

MA
Every aftermarket shifter (including the awesome MGW in my GT500) I've ever had always produced more NVH over that of the stock shifter. Kind of the trade off for more positive shifts I always thought.

I find the stock shifter among the best I've ever experienced in any car!

I don't like the stock shifter at all, though I really like the shift ball. I'm not 100% sure it is the shifter and not the tranny though so I am not ordering a new shifter yet. I'm sure at some point I'll run into one of you guys with one and I can see how much a difference it made.

hotrodnut said:
SVT1 said:

Me too, so far!

But I haven't power shifted yet, that will tell the real story.
What are you waiting for? ;)

Ordered mine 3 weeks ago and it just came in.I hope to get it installed next weekend along with my LCA's I ordered.Stock shifter is decent but doesen't work as good as I like when powershifting the car.Hope the mgw is as good as everybody say's it is.

hotrodnut said:
5 DOT 0 said:
hotrodnut said:
SVT1 said:

Me too, so far!

But I haven't power shifted yet, that will tell the real story.
What are you waiting for? ;)

1000 miles, then, BAM! ;D
That's for tracking your Boss not driving it hard on the street. :D

You guys flat foot shift? Or does the term mean something different in 'merican cars? That might explain some of the issues people have been having if that is common practice.

CaliMR said:
You guys flat foot shift? Or does the term mean something different in 'merican cars? That might explain some of the issues people have been having if that is common practice.

Yes.

In my old school knowledge:
Powershift is leaving the gas pedal to the floor while shifting and using the clutch.
Speedshift is shifting as fast as you can while letting off the gas pedal an instant and using the clutch.

Not something I plan to do with this car, even with a NLS code in the ecu and modern syncros it is still really hard on pretty much every part of the car. Guys did it a lot in the Evo community, and I think it was part of the reason they were known for eating clutches and trannies and TCs. I know an E30 guy who does it too, and he goes through a couple trannies a year.

CaliMR said:
Not something I plan to do with this car, even with a NLS code in the ecu and modern syncros it is still really hard on pretty much every part of the car. Guys did it a lot in the Evo community, and I think it was part of the reason they were known for eating clutches and trannies and TCs. I know an E30 guy who does it too, and he goes through a couple trannies a year.

I unsderstand your concern, but I'm sure this car can take it.

My Brother-in-law taught me to drive stickshift Corvair when I was 12 yrs old by flooring it, pop the clutch and never let up going thru all the gears.

When I turned 16, he put me in his '67 442 and I was scared shi%$#**, he said, "just act like it's the Corvair"!

It "was" just as easy, just a whole lot faster and never stopped spinning the tires through all 4 gears.

Since, I have never went without a stickshift car in my life and I powershifted everyone of them.

I have never tore anything up in the transmission or clutch either.

Pretty much everytime I drive my Mach1 it gets powershifted and that's a car that has a weaker transmission, and smaller axles too.

I will need to come visit you so you can teach me the proper way to do it then ;D

The only manual I had that I really abused was my 69 Charger. I didn't even use the clutch, I shifted it like a motorcycle.

TMO Supporting Vendors