The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Mod Route - Where to go from here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum and I am glad to see that such a place exists. I figured I would get input from you guys, as you've already done all of this, rather than try to sift through the non existent track info on other forums.

Currently as it sits, my car has the following below. Note: Some are irrelevant, its a copy paste from excel.

1 Lethal X pipe
2 Air Raid Intake
3 KW/Roush (v2) Coilovers
4 AM GT500PP Wheels 19x9.5
5 Michelin PSS - 275/35-19
6 Adj Panhard
7 Boss 302 Fascia
8 Borla S Type
9 Craven Antenna
10 WhiteLine Lower Control Arms
11 WhiteLine Upper Control Arm
12 WhiteLine Relocation Brackets
13 Blowfish Bracket & Tow Hook
14 Blowfish Brake Duct Kit
15 SCT Tuner & AED 93oct Tune
16 JLT Catch Can
17 AM GT/CS Grill
18 World Challenge Splitter
19 Shelby Trans Scoop
20 Panhard brace (uninstalled)
21 Status Ring GT CF Seats
22 Scroth 6pt Harnesses
23 Harness bar
24 Hawk HT-10 Front Pads
25 Hawk HP+ Rear Pads
26 WhiteLine Front Endlinks

With the winter down time, I have plenty of time to plan and mod as necessary. I am going to order SVE Drifts in 18x10, and am still deciding on tires. Other than that anything else is up in the air.

Photos for kicks:

10516612_10202778120478323_3945025150557902077_n.jpg

10624951_10202764278332278_3692138504818751480_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input.

I also forgot to mention some parts I have yet to install.

1 Ported Boss 302 Manifold
2 Accufab Throttle Body
3 JLT Intake to match TB
4 Blowfish Shifter Fix

Another note, I'd have an actual roll bar - but I am still exploring options, as I have a glass roof car and none of this was originally planned, and I don't want to start all over.

NFSBOSS said:
Welcome to BMO and you've come to the right place. We love to spend OPM around here. First a few questions. What are your goals with your car and do you drive it to the track? Are you looking to eek every tenth of a second out of your car or just looking to pass every Porsche you run across on track?

Thanks!

I want to improve overall grip/handling. The car feels great, but I know there is more there. I think the tires are definitely holding it back some. But I have a feeling I can do some more suspension improvements as well. I don't need to squeeze every tenth out, but I am not opposed either! I do drive it to the track, but I never drive it on the street otherwise.

The first thing you'll want to do is use wider/stickier tires. You can drive to the track on Hoosier R6's and Nitto NT01's but you'll cut their life short pretty quick. I'm driving to the track on NT01's and they are a huge improvement over street tires including PSS's. A favorite street tire here is the BFG Rival in a 295/35/18. Are you running a square setup now? If not consider it. A 305 or 315 square setup will give you a lot of grip. If you go that route consider wider wheels as well. A 10.5 or 11" width is going to work better with 305's or larger.

You've got most of it covered already. BMO member 06Mach1 sells a lower grille for your front fascia and can be found by searching in the For Sale section. It's a perfect fit and well worth the money.

Which track are the photos taken at?

NFSBOSS said:
The first thing you'll want to do is use wider/stickier tires. You can drive to the track on Hoosier R6's and Nitto NT01's but you'll cut their life short pretty quick. I'm driving to the track on NT01's and they are a huge improvement over street tires including PSS's. A favorite street tire here is the BFG Rival in a 295/35/18. Are you running a square setup now? If not consider it. A 305 or 315 square setup will give you a lot of grip. If you go that route consider wider wheels as well. A 10.5 or 11" width is going to work better with 305's or larger.

You've got most of it covered already. BMO member 06Mach1 sells a lower grille for your front fascia and can be found by searching in the For Sale section. It's a perfect fit and well worth the money.

Which track are the photos taken at?

I will check all of that out thank you. Right now I am square setup 19x9.5 with 275 PSS. Most of the 305 18" options are Rcomps that are close to our oem diameter, correct? I am trying to figure out whether or not to stick with street tires. On another note, I can drive up on my oem brembo wheels and swap at the track, too.

These photos are from Thompson in CT

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Wheels and tires look like the main area for big improvement. More aggressive pads might be next on my list.

Have you been getting the car corner balanced? Is a watts link on your list?

Grant 302 said:
Wheels and tires look like the main area for big improvement. More aggressive pads might be next on my list.

Have you been getting the car corner balanced? Is a watts link on your list?

I am seriously considering the white line watts link. Corner balance is on the list for this year, too.

What are you guys running for swaybars?

Tulsa, OK
Welcome Dan! Glad you found the page 8)

And I agree with Grant. Wheels/tires and brake pads will make a HUGE difference... I'd also dial in as much negative camber as you can.

Hey man, thanks! Glad you suggested this forum.

I have had pretty good luck with the Hawk HT-10.. I was thinking carbotech when they wear out. What are you running?

Currently running -2* camber

Tulsa, OK
I used Carbotech XP 24s in the front and XP10s in the rear this year. Very pleased with them.

I'm maxed out at -3 camber but my car hardly sees the street. If you could squeeze some more out of it I think it would help you but you also have to manage your tire wear since you're driving to the event. It's all a compromise for a dual purpose car.

Are there roll bar fitment issues with glass roof cars?

apex32 said:
Hey Guys,

I am new to this forum and I am glad to see that such a place exists. I figured I would get input from you guys, as you've already done all of this, rather than try to sift through the non existent track info on other forums.

Currently as it sits, my car has the following below. Note: Some are irrelevant, its a copy paste from excel.

1 Lethal X pipe
2 Air Raid Intake
3 KW/Roush (v2) Coilovers
4 AM GT500PP Wheels 19x9.5
5 Michelin PSS - 275/35-19
6 Adj Panhard
7 Boss 302 Fascia
8 Borla S Type
9 Craven Antenna
10 WhiteLine Lower Control Arms
11 WhiteLine Upper Control Arm
12 WhiteLine Relocation Brackets
13 Blowfish Bracket & Tow Hook
14 Blowfish Brake Duct Kit
15 SCT Tuner & AED 93oct Tune
16 JLT Catch Can
17 AM GT/CS Grill
18 World Challenge Splitter
19 Shelby Trans Scoop
20 Panhard brace (uninstalled)
21 Status Ring GT CF Seats
22 Scroth 6pt Harnesses
23 Harness bar
24 Hawk HT-10 Front Pads
25 Hawk HP+ Rear Pads
26 WhiteLine Front Endlinks

With the winter down time, I have plenty of time to plan and mod as necessary. I am going to order SVE Drifts in 18x10, and am still deciding on tires. Other than that anything else is up in the air.

Photos for kicks:

10516612_10202778120478323_3945025150557902077_n.jpg

10624951_10202764278332278_3692138504818751480_n.jpg

Thanks in advance for any input.

Love the BFG Rivals on 18x10s. Hoosiers would be sweet if you're towing.
Ditch the harness bar for a 4 pt roll bar.
Upgrade the Hawk pads to 60/60 or 70/60. Less is inadequate.
Front stiffer sway bar.
Install panhard brace
Tiger hood
Upgrade rear bushing on UCA
Urethane motor mounts.
MGW
WL trans insert
Watts link.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Yes - Glass roof cars the bolt in cages dont fit due to like a half inch less headroom.

Agree on the Tiger Racing Paul Brown hood that's my next mod.

you also didn't mention an oil cooler - since you don't have a Boss radiator a huge well thought out Setrab setup by Cooltech would be nice. Add the thermostat option if you live in a cold place.

For the final refinement opt for Boss 302 S control arms and related bushing kit, Ford racing or Kenny brown tall tie rod ends, and a wicked set of dampers / springs.

If you change the motor mount skip the urethane one. They will melt. Mine were melted after 3 track days and I kept the factory heat shield. Go with the Watson racing one
http://shop.watsonracing.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=WR-COYOTESLDMNT

Swiss Boss said:
If you change the motor mount skip the urethane one. They will melt. Mine were melted after 3 track days and I kept the factory heat shield. Go with the Watson racing one
http://shop.watsonracing.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=WR-COYOTESLDMNT

Oh crap I just put the steeda poly ones in! Heat shield wont help? /new thread needed on that.

TMO Supporting Vendors