The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 MrBD1348's MT82 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Sounds like you may be running with some of the guys at Autobahn already? Thanks for posting your machine and there are a solid group of TMO Tracksters in your area of the US of A.
Done autobahn a few times and Road America yesterday. I’m still new so my lap times absolutely have a lot of room for improvement. Met some of the TMO guys yesterday! Awesome people and amazing cars too

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Plans for off-season/winter:

-Shed weight - current weight is 3720 with full interior
-Oil cooler, diff cooler, trans cooler
-New Clutch
-Better Tires and Brake Pads
-Box radiator
-Vertical Links, CC Plates, Toe Links, Rear Camber Arms, Sway Bar Links - all adjustable
-Sort out a better video/timing setup (i'm not sure why this is giving me so much trouble)
-Refined alignment
-Heat extraction on the hood or just new hood

-(Possible) ESS G3 kit with the biggest intercooler possible. Plans to run 8-10psi of boost on 93 and keep the car temps under control

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Then next spring I want to get as much seat time as my budget will allow. I am well and truly addicted to this now. Ultimate goal would be to do some SCCA Time Trials but i'm not going to force that until I'm ready

-New Clutch
-Box radiator
-Vertical Links, CC Plates, Toe Links, Rear Camber Arms, Sway Bar Links - all adjustable
-Sort out a better video/timing setup (i'm not sure why this is giving me so much trouble)
-Refined alignment

-(Possible) ESS G3 kit with the biggest intercooler possible. Plans to run 8-10psi of boost on 93 and keep the car temps under control
Start with spl, then move to opmustang for items.

-New Clutch
-Box radiator
-Refined alignment

get a good race seat with harness and roll bar, then vorshlag camber platers,

after vorshlag camber plates, cutting the strut mounts to get -3.5 camber, honestly, i think you should do 18x11’s and pirrelli dh’s with cobalt xr1/xr2 brakes. That will be the biggest bang for buck.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
Did you do all the suspension parts at once? If no, what made the most difference?
I did sway bars first and the rest the following weekend. So it was more of an overall change and I didn’t notice impacts of individual items more so the whole change. Which I really love the way it drives in its current state. No complaints at all - although I’m sure there’s much better setups out there!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
I did sway bars first and the rest the following weekend. So it was more of an overall change and I didn’t notice impacts of individual items more so the whole change. Which I really love the way it drives in its current state. No complaints at all - although I’m sure there’s much better setups out there!
I’ve got a stock 15 performance pack. I ordered a set of ford track handling shocks and struts, and want to do BMR sp083 springs, along with rear camber arms, toe arms, lockouts, and diff inserts. But I’ll also need a good set of camber plates for the 18x11 apex wheels I bought.
i have almost no confidence in this car’s rear end under power even getting on the throttle for an on-ramp. Hoping those will help. It’s so different from my s197

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
get a good race seat with harness and roll bar, then vorshlag camber platers,

after vorshlag camber plates, cutting the strut mounts to get -3.5 camber, honestly, i think you should do 18x11’s and pirrelli dh’s with cobalt xr1/xr2 brakes. That will be the biggest bang for buck.
Seat and harness bar I had mentally included in weight reduction 😂 I need to find a local shop to go test fit a seat to see which one I like the most.
For the plates - are the vorshlag ones superior to other brands?
I will look into that wheel and tire size. I’m assuming I would need to change Hub/Studs to fit the 11” up front. And will 18’s clear the front brakes? These 19’s get fairly close

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Chicago
I’ve got a stock 15 performance pack. I ordered a set of ford track handling shocks and struts, and want to do BMR sp083 springs, along with rear camber arms, toe arms, lockouts, and diff inserts. But I’ll also need a good set of camber plates for the 18x11 apex wheels I bought.
i have almost no confidence in this car’s rear end under power even getting on the throttle for an on-ramp. Hoping those will help. It’s so different from my s197
I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference from 15 to 22 in terms of the rear end set up. I don’t have the 3.73 or Torsen like you do but I feel pretty comfortable rolling on the throttle out of a corner with this set up (even with the shitty Nitto tires). From what I understand it should be easier with the torsen to get the power down. I should probably add that to my list

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Logan, UT
I don’t think there’s a whole lot of difference from 15 to 22 in terms of the rear end set up. I don’t have the 3.73 or Torsen like you do but I feel pretty comfortable rolling on the throttle out of a corner with this set up (even with the shitty Nitto tires). From what I understand it should be easier with the torsen to get the power down. I should probably add that to my list
The car has 96k miles and I just picked it up. I think the rear bushings and shocks are just really tired.

Seat and harness bar I had mentally included in weight reduction 😂 I need to find a local shop to go test fit a seat to see which one I like the most.
For the plates - are the vorshlag ones superior to other brands?
I will look into that wheel and tire size. I’m assuming I would need to change Hub/Studs to fit the 11” up front. And will 18’s clear the front brakes? These 19’s get fairly close
The only place i know with seats is northstar in battington. Thats where i get my seats suits, helmet etc etc

TMO Supporting Vendors