The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

MT -82 transmission cooler setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finally got my transmission cooler setup completed. took most of the day making hoses, mounting the pump and wiring up a relay. Used the same toggle switch that the diff cooler is on. Maybe will add separate swiches if I do a radio blank off switch panel down the line.

Used the FR 500 power steering cooler as the matrix, -8 AN lines and fittings for fluid transfer and Tilton lube pump.
photo115_zps04cfa168.jpg
photo114_zpsb18bd8be.jpg
photo215_zps7d954b57.jpg
photo39_zpse6feb00e.jpg
photo113_zpsf390304e.jpg
photo214_zps280b4f7a.jpg

Also added my Speedway Motorsports Nomex radiator protector. That stuff is awesome, definitely bulletproof protection.
photo216_zpsa40cca2d.jpg

I am on track Friday and Saturday at Lime Rock so I will see how temperatures at the trans are.

Steve

Nice work Steve. I've moved this to the How To Forum and made it a sticky. 8)

Looks great Steve!
Looks like you finally got around to installing it.

Do you think putting an in-line fill port somewhere would be a good idea - to account for the additional capacity?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Black Boss said:
Nice Job, Steve. I've been contemplating this.

Looks like you teed the temperature sensor into the drain port?

Did you use the fill port for the return (it's pretty tight up there!) ?

Yes put temp on the hot drain side to see what temp is in the trans, I did use the fill port and had to remove the crossmember bolts and lower the trans to install -8 90 fitting. I am getting a 90 degree -8 female to female union which is about 3/8" shallower than the hose fitting. Means having to add a male to male but need the clearance to remove for refill.

The tap at the drain is actually higher than the trans scoop, I has a brass adapter and the gauge sender pointing down installedthere for a while that was lower with no issue so I think it's good.
Steve

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
F.D. Sako said:
Looks great Steve!
Looks like you finally got around to installing it.

Do you think putting an in-line fill port somewhere would be a good idea - to account for the additional capacity?

I filled the cooler matrix through the suction hose on the pump. Added about 9 ounces.
Steve

Hi Steve
Cool! cooler installation!
Could you please tell me the size of the drain and filler plug for transmission? Is it standard mm, inch or npt thread? I'd like to know which fitting I should buy. I can know them if I drain oil though.

I will be installing engine oil, differential and transmission cooler in this summer as I couldn't ride the entire loop in Suzuka circuit.

Thank you so much Steve! I will be going to America next week for business trip so I can receive them in my accommodation so that I can reduce shipment cost to Japan. I've already sent setrab 925 as engine cooler and needed hardware.

As for the transmission cooler, I've ordered VDO pump as it is very small and light weight. One of Japanese tuning manufacturer; trust sells it.

I purchased my auto tras cooler from transmissioncoolers.us. I haven't checked if they have any coolers for manual transmissions (thicker oil), but it might be worth checking them out. Back then they some great dealers on coolers.

Some of the coolers had larger passageways up top, so when the fluid is cold and thick it would mostly flow through the first couple of fins. Once the fluid warmed up, it'd flow through the whole cooler. Somewhat like a built-in thermostat.

transmissioncoolers.us

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Hey Steve--what's the update on the functionality of your kit?

Would you be willing to put together a bill of materials and a basic wiring diagram for those of us that wish to replicate it?

VooDooBOSS said:
I think Black Boss did something very similar.

@Black Boss

I only did the Diff cooler: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7429.msg110922#msg110922

Contemplated the Trans cooler, but never got to it....

If I have another Tranny failure, I'm going to bite the bullet and go with the Tremec TR3160 -- looks like they're shipping now: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1090476-GT350-Tremec-TR3160-transmission-and-company-have-arrived!

TMO Supporting Vendors