The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

NASA NATIONALS and italian_stang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What!! your not racing in sneekers right?? You just changed them for the aching feet right?

On the serious side, Congrats on the results! So you have cured your 10spd temp. problems?

We were smarter than they were..

a couple of take a ways

Allessandro is definitely a good "wheel man" When he needed to lay down a lap he did it. When he needed to get it done in 2 laps, he got it done, there are pro racers that have trouble doing that. Right after his best run (lap 3) he collected some debris and cut a tire, if he had not run "the profile" and wasted laps he would not have been the national champion. that was all driver right there.

Weather was sketchy, my greatest fear, since there were rain squalls in the area, is that a cold front would come through while the track was still hot, and the competition would capitalize on it, ( high HP, sticky track) where we might not be able to. it almost happened exactly that way, but the other guy had taken his best shot in the heat of the day. We bided our time for the best opportunity.

You really need good tires, I think Allesandro totally destroyed the myth that you can't run A7s on hot days, true we didn't run an entire race on them, but the first days tires lasted all day, and I wouldn't be afraid of running them some more if we needed to.

Don't listen to the "talking heads" on the PA trash talking Allesandro about "sitting in the air conditioning, while his competition ran the fastest time" Flyhalf needed the best shot, that session was not the best shot, as they later found out.

Everyone thought that his "automatic transmission" car was really cool.

It was really fun working with his crew guys, (TMO members) sometimes I get spoiled with all the pro level stuff, and it's really cool to get back to the racing roots and see the "little guy" do well. If I was a billionaire, I'd definitely consider Alesandro on my "short list" of driver prospects, although, I noticed that he doesn't relax very well when his competition is on track.. lol

Good job, and congrats, I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to be part of it.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Had no doubt that you would do well, I'm happy to have helped you along the way, you deserved it and you earned it. Doesn't get any better than that.

sfo
Rob,

At this event did you have minimal testing time such that it was difficult to determine target tire pressures or did you nail the pressures just based on your years of experience?

We were smarter than they were..

a couple of take a ways

Allessandro is definitely a good "wheel man" When he needed to lay down a lap he did it. When he needed to get it done in 2 laps, he got it done, there are pro racers that have trouble doing that. Right after his best run (lap 3) he collected some debris and cut a tire, if he had not run "the profile" and wasted laps he would not have been the national champion. that was all driver right there.

Weather was sketchy, my greatest fear, since there were rain squalls in the area, is that a cold front would come through while the track was still hot, and the competition would capitalize on it, ( high HP, sticky track) where we might not be able to. it almost happened exactly that way, but the other guy had taken his best shot in the heat of the day. We bided our time for the best opportunity.

You really need good tires, I think Allesandro totally destroyed the myth that you can't run A7s on hot days, true we didn't run an entire race on them, but the first days tires lasted all day, and I wouldn't be afraid of running them some more if we needed to.

Don't listen to the "talking heads" on the PA trash talking Allesandro about "sitting in the air conditioning, while his competition ran the fastest time" Flyhalf needed the best shot, that session was not the best shot, as they later found out.

Everyone thought that his "automatic transmission" car was really cool.

It was really fun working with his crew guys, (TMO members) sometimes I get spoiled with all the pro level stuff, and it's really cool to get back to the racing roots and see the "little guy" do well. If I was a billionaire, I'd definitely consider Alesandro on my "short list" of driver prospects, although, I noticed that he doesn't relax very well when his competition is on track.. lol

Good job, and congrats, I'm very glad to have had the opportunity to be part of it.
Thanks Rob fpr the kind words. One thing is for sure. Is nice to see that you can be a certain levels.
One day i would love to do w2w. And seeing that our laptimes were faster than prep racecar in St2 is definetely encouraging.
Amd yes of course i freak out when I cant run! 😆 but safety first amd that car was done.

Rob,

At this event did you have minimal testing time such that it was difficult to determine target tire pressures or did you nail the pressures just based on your years of experience?
Flyhalf ran the profiles in practice, so I had the data, we just needed to compensate for the weather, and track temp and send it. He's pretty consistent so it was easier than I expected. I told him to just run the car until it slowed down, the tires would tell him when to pull in, don't do it ahead of time., in case I missed. As it turned out, about 3 laps was the max the "filet" of the tire lasted, The guy that ran in the heat of the day, dropped 3 seconds on lap 2, then picked up about 2.5 on the very next lap. So he did some of the work for me, and some of that was considered for the following mornings "good" session, where Alesandro went back in front. Alesandro's lap times varied much less than that, prolly from the way the tires were prepped, and the way he drove.
I think Alesandro only beat the guy by something like .096 of a second, so details count. The other car, if I'm not mistaken, was a Gt350R, and I'm not bad mouthing that guy at all, when he dropped that 3 seconds, I about crapped my pants, but then, when I absorbed what actually happened, I realized that we would probably be OK.
Convincing Flyhalf of that, at the time, was a bit more difficult,. .lol
I knew it put pressure on him, but he responded perfectly.

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Huge congrats Alessandro! Proud to have you representin' TMO out there - and seeing that TMO'ers were in your pit helping out is pretty damned cool too. Wish I was there to witness it first hand.

Thank you for taking the time to share it all here too... the journey and the results. We all appreciate it.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
sfo
Flyhalf ran the profiles in practice, so I had the data, we just needed to compensate for the weather, and track temp and send it. He's pretty consistent so it was easier than I expected. I told him to just run the car until it slowed down, the tires would tell him when to pull in, don't do it ahead of time., in case I missed. As it turned out, about 3 laps was the max the "filet" of the tire lasted, The guy that ran in the heat of the day, dropped 3 seconds on lap 2, then picked up about 2.5 on the very next lap. So he did some of the work for me, and some of that was considered for the following mornings "good" session, where Alesandro went back in front. Alesandro's lap times varied much less than that, prolly from the way the tires were prepped, and the way he drove.
I think Alesandro only beat the guy by something like .096 of a second, so details count. The other car, if I'm not mistaken, was a Gt350R, and I'm not bad mouthing that guy at all, when he dropped that 3 seconds, I about crapped my pants, but then, when I absorbed what actually happened, I realized that we would probably be OK.
Convincing Flyhalf of that, at the time, was a bit more difficult,. .lol
I knew it put pressure on him, but he responded perfectly.

That's cool. If you trounce the guy he just assumes he is not fast enough but when you just barely beat them it is very demoralizing. That guy is still licking his wounds right now. I think that is what killed Bottas. Hamilton would just pip him by a 1/10 no matter what time Bottas would put down. He has been beating him like that for years now and now Bottas is good for nothing.

TMO Supporting Vendors