New engine parts from FP - cam solenoids and oil pump

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by JAJ, Jun 29, 2018.

1. JAJ

JAJ TMO Addict

I was wandering around the internet this morning and saw two new items on the FP website:

M-6297-M50A - 5.0L COYOTE HIGH STRENGTH VCT SOLENOIDS
    With a stronger mounting provision, these Variable Cam Timing (VCT) solenoids are more robust for racing applications, and offer increased strength over OEM solenoids for the following applications:
    Fits:
    • 2011-2017 5.0L Mustang engines
    • 2011-2017 5.0L F-150 engines
    • 2015-2018 5.2L Mustang GT350 engines
    M-6600-50 - 5.0L/5.2L COYOTE LOW VOLUME OIL PUMP
    This low volume oil pump is designed for race applications. This pump reduces engine oil pressure, to decrease engine load. When used in competitive applications, a difference in oil pressure can promote engine efficiency, and can increase the overall performance of a vehicle.
    Includes:
    • Oil pump
    • Attachment hardware
    Fits:
    • 2011-2018 5.0L Mustang engines
    • 2011-2018 5.0L F-150 engines
    • 2015-2018 Mustang GT350 5.2L
    • Note-to use with 5.2L engines, use 5.0L pickup tube

VoodooBoss likes this.
  2. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

Ford certainly has more information than us, but I have never heard of an issue with VCT solenoid mounting that would require additional strength or rigidity, unless they are referring to the pigtail connection points that were on the 2011-2012 engines, which was resolved by the (interchangeable) MY2013 solenoid update.

Regarding the LOW Volume oil pump--My guess is that this could be targeted at drag racers wanting to squeeze another hp or two out of their engines for 8-9 seconds where they are actually running full-tilt, and getting rebuilt on a regular basis. This is the absolute opposite of what we know for road race applications--where we are at continuous high-RPM ranges for 20+ minutes at a time. You do not want LOWER oil pressure for this.

RES_22 likes this.
  3. captdistraction

captdistraction I am the breaker of things

The solenoids have traditionally had a weak attachment to their bracket (its some sort of pinch weld or solder point). Sometimes when removing the valvecovers on motors I had run hot, one would snap off of its base.

I saw some pictures of the new ones and appears there's more "beef" to the brackets, but otherwise look like (and are priced like) every other newer style VCT solenoid.

I'd buy a set if I didn't have 4 spares sitting here new in bags.

ArizonaBOSS and VoodooBoss like this.
  4. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

5. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Original Coyote solenoids were very well constructed but the connector pins were fragile. The updated parts were made with cheap stampings. I haven’t heard of failures but Ford must be seeing them on the race cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. the5

the5 TMO Race

If I had to guess...
    These were some of the solutions to the issues Ford was having with the 5.2 XS and FP350s Cars

VoodooBoss likes this.