The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

New tunes from AED my thoughts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat Boss said:
ArizonaGT said:
Anyone still talking about tunes in here?

Hit an awesome place called the Baja Cantina in Carmel and then out to the coast with a couple dozen Team Shelby cars today. Two guys were sportin' their AED shirts. Both were insisting I need to get my car tuned!

A chillin 60* at the coast!

023.jpg
Yeah it was a little warmer here inland, like by 40 degrees! That GT500 looks familiar.

An AED tune looks like a future mod.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
hard to say:

Feels faster to me vs my last motor (which was a 400rwhp setup), but the AF is still a bit rich on the base tune (rightfully so). My butt dyno is very conservative, but hopefully I get the logs in and they're good today so I can get the final tunes in place and strap the car down on a dynojet and see. Though, lol, having 8300rpm on tap makes the 3.73's feel more like 3.31's. The throttle response is very snappy though, and power delivery is very smooth (as long as you brought earplugs)

I'm curious on two fronts: how much power does this thing make and how much power/headroom is there over 7500.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Actually since you're already in aftermarket tune territory, you might investigate the Cobra Jet intake and TB at some point down the line, it's supposed to be designed for the 8000+ RPM range.

ArizonaGT said:
Actually since you're already in aftermarket tune territory, you might investigate the Cobra Jet intake and TB at some point down the line, it's supposed to be designed for the 8000+ RPM range.
+1. Someone's got to test this for the rest of us so it might as well be the Capt. Unfortunately the availability has been delayed three more months.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/COBRA_JET_5_0L_4V_INTAKE_MANIFOLD_p/m-9424-m50cj.htm

Have you guys heard anything about a drag racing Boss? Some guy at the track convinced my gf that he has one showing up soon, and it is not a CJ. Talking about the intake reminded me, and if it is true then there might be some bits that will show up down the road.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
lol, you people find someone to pick up the tab, and I'll be happy to beat on whatever setup and provide data.

That intake is $$$

Yeah I know it's not going to happen anytime soon due to the cost involved. I figured it would be good to put it on your roadmap at least to think about since you're out of warranty and with a tuner that apparently knows their shiznit. Best chance for evaluation there :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
CaliMR said:
Have you guys heard anything about a drag racing Boss? Some guy at the track convinced my gf that he has one showing up soon, and it is not a CJ. Talking about the intake reminded me, and if it is true then there might be some bits that will show up down the road.

Nope. Could be a dealer package. Only ones I've heard of are the CJ and the SCJ.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I have been running the cam tune back and forth to work everyday now and its great. No stalling nearly as perfect as the Trackey in that regards only thing its missing is the engine decel.

Yesterday I swapped in ford racing 47# injectors and loaded the updated tune for data logging. Wasnt able to get the data logging done yesterday but the car is running great with the tune. The data logging is for the E85 conversion. I plan to get the data logs done after work today and then go drive till the gas tank is nearly empty so I can fill up with E85 :)

I don't know details on how it works, but many new cars have code that prevents engine braking ie the motor slowing you down when you lift off the throttle. I suspect it is in the cam phasing. I also suspect it is the reason we get the j-brake noise on deceleration as that is lessened somewhat proportionate to the increase in engine braking (which still feels like it is being prevented to a large degree) with the red key. I also suspect it has to do with emissions, my Evo was similar and also had throttle hang built into the code, once I had it tuned the hang went away and the braking went up.

I very much suspect he can work out a way to increase the braking if there is enough interest in it, but a lot of people actually don't like engine braking including some people in this forum who have commented on it. If not enough people would buy his tunes for the braking, then I don't think it is really reasonable to ask him to develop it unless it is relatively easy to do.

I personally rather have the engine braking over a lumpy idle, and if possible to work in quicker rev drops when the clutch is in since I don't power shift, but that is just me and there might not be enough interest to create a new tune. I also suspect he could work out an on the fly tune swapping system, if there was the demand, but it probably would not be justified by time cost since I doubt that many people would really pay extra for it. On the Evos, there was one guy who created almost all the new tuning tricks (map switching, cell flashing for knock, improvised anti-lag, automatic map switching when meth runs out, etc) basically because he liked doing it and people kept begging, then everyone else just tweaked it and put there own maps on it. The real issue is the time cost to develop it all and whether it would make sense to do it. Personally, I will not be tuning this car until the warranty is over so hopefully by then you guys will have convinced him to make some nasty tunes ;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
captdistraction said:
can someone explain the trackkey engine decel to me? Maybe that's something Shaun can work up?

My new o2 sensors came in today, so I'll hopefully be submitting good logs to shaun to get my revised tunes in.

"Street" tunes have some small amount of fuel applied to the cylinders on decel to prevent the rapid forward jerk caused by throttle lift off.
Cut all the fuel on throttle lift-off. I know my tuner here could achieve this on my '06 via SCT, so it's certainly possible to duplicate.

ArizonaGT said:
captdistraction said:
can someone explain the trackkey engine decel to me? Maybe that's something Shaun can work up?

My new o2 sensors came in today, so I'll hopefully be submitting good logs to shaun to get my revised tunes in.

"Street" tunes have some small amount of fuel applied to the cylinders on decel to prevent the rapid forward jerk caused by throttle lift off.
Cut all the fuel on throttle lift-off. I know my tuner here could achieve this on my '06 via SCT, so it's certainly possible to duplicate.
If I remember correctly when I met Shaun last Spring there were three things in the TK tune he was not able to replicate. The pit lane speed limiter, launch control and the engine decal. Not sure why the decel is so difficult to replicate but maybe he'll come along and comment.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
things I miss about the TK are the engine decel (dont know how much you like it till its not there) and the popping on decel or crackle rather (I called it the car chuckling at the lesser cars) but a lot of that went away when I swapped to the magnaflow cat back (less back pressure I think is the cause).

Justin said:
things I miss about the TK are the engine decel (dont know how much you like it till its not there) and the popping on decel or crackle rather (I called it the car chuckling at the lesser cars) but a lot of that went away when I swapped to the magnaflow cat back (less back pressure I think is the cause).

I can give you both..... :)

TMO Supporting Vendors