The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

No-tune Airaid CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs magazine today....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
What are the differences? I read that the SythaMax filter flows slightly less than an oiled gauze filter, but no oil means a cleaner MAF sensor. Is the MXP version a larger volume?
No tune means the throat size at the MAF is same as stock so that is the overall flow restriction. Maybe they tuned the pipe to accelerate the air flow into the intake for more VE?
Input on this is valued.
Steve

You need the Boss specific one. It has a Parnelli Jones tag on it (the intake tube as seen in the pics in this thread) instead of the gold Airaid one. The fitting is different than the GT model. You can make the GT fit, but it's much much easier with the proper one (experience talking on this one.). In addition for "no tune" it comes with an insert to keep the tube intake internal size the same as OEM. It can be removed if you wish to add a tune and utilize the additional airflow.

RR#206 is correct.

As for the filter, the Synthamax is claimed to flow virtually the same as an oiled filter, according to Airaid. In any case, the Synthamax is huge and provides much more filter surface area than the stock piece. Even if it had a slightly diminished cfm capability, I personally can't see it being a restriction.

From my prior experience with MAF cars and oiled filters, I would take a dryflow version any day. Oil on the MAF element causes drivability issues and is one less thing I want to worry about. The Synthamax can also be cleaned with Simple Green and water. Let it air dry and re-install. No re-oiling kits to buy.

I believe the "MXP" designation is simply their entire line of CAI's. There isn't any design difference that I know of. The volume of the tube should be the same on all kits.

The no-tune version CAI pipe is identical to a tune-required version when the MVT (modular Venturi tube) is removed. It simply slides in or out of the opening. This is beneficial as you can run with no tune for as long as you like. If you decide to get a tune down the road, simply remove the MVT and you're set. No need to purchase a separate CAI.

Generic photo of the MVT

072E629C-C5CE-47FA-B026-BB8F97182E31_zpstqpnftc3.jpg

Didn't say out of stock yesterday. As I had anticipated, they sold out quick.

Maybe another vendor will match the price. I know stage 3 motorsports had a price match Black Friday deal.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
NFSBOSS said:
AFAIR Airaid stated up to 18 hp and the previous dyno chart showed that it fattened up the midrange but there were no peak gains. From previous TK dyno charts there were basically no gains, no surprise there since Ford Racing never claimed any, but the A/F mixture was on the lean side. Also removing the stock exhaust discs gains you about 3 hp. You found something different than that?

Thanks, too bad the fuse cover didn't come with five ribs to match the intake.

Here's a finned fuse box cover...not 5 but finned nonetheless.

2012Boss302353_zps5a62467b.png

Justin said:
thanks for the lead I ordered one

Early Christmas for you! :)

Although, admittedly I've been ordering quite a few parts myself lately. Plus, having the Boss and a Fox makes it twice as bad...

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Got one on order as well! Great price and it let me use the 10.00 off coupon too! ;D

Update, got it installed now and it looks awesome. Still haven't figured out how to post pictures here, duhh!

Good call on the SAVE10 coupon code. I used it in combination with the Black Friday price for an Accufab 84.5mm TB on Friday. $475 shipped, nice savings.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
fbbob96 said:
Do I understand that this will work with the Track key as well as the regular key? And so,it won't mess up the MAP when using the Track key?
correct. I just drove it into work this morning with the trackey and the AIRAID intake.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
fbbob96 said:
Do you see.....or feel any differance over the stock setup?
I am not your typical case as I have a full exhaust but the throttle response seems ever so slightly better and my lopey idle is smoother then it was before. I cant say for sure on power as the roads have been covered in snow and some ice since I put it on. That and the temps are teens to low 20's.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
RRBoss302 said:
Works perfectly with both keys.

And you're not imagining the better throttle response :)

That and if you listen carefully, the car breathes differently. I run my car with the Red Key 90% of the tyme and she purrs just fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors