The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Nomex Honeycomb Radiator Protector

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cloud9 said:
Thanks John. You have the cooling issue licked now?

Runs fine if I pull the grill. Just ordered a "Faleen" (fake Saleen) style grill from Late Model Restoration to see if that works. $150 shipped right now.

Getting very tired of having to pull the grill!

JScheier said:
cloud9 said:
Thanks John. You have the cooling issue licked now?

Runs fine if I pull the grill. Just ordered a "Faleen" (fake Saleen) style grill from Late Model Restoration to see if that works. $150 shipped right now.

Getting very tired of having to pull the grill!
Agreed. At least I'm not the only one having to pull it.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
cloud9 said:
LOL, I'll make sure to wave nicely when I'm pointing them by. You think Michael will mind if I'm a Cheesehead? Of course he'll already be deep into Packerland already so he must not mind :D

Don't think Michael will mind after all he was at Atlanta before and still calls it home. He is a great car guy and right behind the top tier GT3RS drovers.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
cloud9 said:
LOL, I'll make sure to wave nicely when I'm pointing them by. You think Michael will mind if I'm a Cheesehead? Of course he'll already be deep into Packerland already so he must not mind :D

Don't think Michael will mind after all he was at Atlanta before and still calls it home. He is a great car guy and right behind the top tier GT3RS drovers.

Peter
In fact now that I think about it, he helped my Fantasy Football team make a run back in 2006 when he was a Falcon ;) That's a big frame to squeeze into a GT3RS.

I am going to get one, do they have other colors? I guess I could spray it black. Probably also going to cut out a couple of the ribs in my 302S grill. I didn't have issues with temps, but I think it will look good if I can do it well and will allow more flow.

drano38

Wayne
Trying to keep up with the Summer Mods game ;D, I just ordered mine.
Like Cloud9, I live in the boondocks, so it will be here Friday.
Will be good to catch the bugs/marbles/tire worms the lower screen, and upper grill, lets thru.

I put this on my 2013 today. Due to the Shelby front end on the 2013s I had to loosen the front bumper on the left/right sides. It's 3 bolts and a clip in each wheel well, then make sure to kinda push up and then pull out carefully as to not snap any clips that secure the front bumper in place. If anyone is curious I'll share pics. Cliff notes, installed in on a 2013 took more than 10 mins because of the front end differences.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
In for pix, I haven't installed on my '13 yet, planning on having a mod party next weekend.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
fduboss302 said:
I put this on my 2013 today. Due to the Shelby front end on the 2013s I had to loosen the front bumper on the left/right sides. It's 3 bolts and a clip in each wheel well, then make sure to kinda push up and then pull out carefully as to not snap any clips that secure the front bumper in place. If anyone is curious I'll share pics. Cliff notes, installed in on a 2013 took more than 10 mins because of the front end differences.

Interesting - on the 2012 all we need to do is remove the hood latch mechanism. What else in the '13's is in the way of installation ?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Capt. Altitude here... installed the nomex honeycomb before the Pueblo event with a Late Model Restoration 'Saleen' front grill (usually $174, on sale for $150). Had only one session where the dial started swinging towards the 'H'... but I was kinda abusing it.

This was at Pueblo (4800ft) with relatively cool (<90*) ambient temps. Caught a lot of rocks and bugs in the Nomex that would have normally hit the condenser. For $20 I think it is a key buy.

JScheier said:
Capt. Altitude here... installed the nomex honeycomb before the Pueblo event with a Late Model Restoration 'Saleen' front grill (usually $174, on sale for $150). Had only one session where the dial started swinging towards the 'H'... but I was kinda abusing it.

This was at Pueblo (4800ft) with relatively cool (<90*) ambient temps. Caught a lot of rocks and bugs in the Nomex that would have normally hit the condenser. For $20 I think it is a key buy.
Cool...literally. I need to install mine tomorrow. Did you have to buy a GT surround for the salesman grille? You happen to have a part #?

drano38

Wayne
I installed mine last weekend.
Tried to add another 1/2" to the width, thinking it would fit. Nope.
Lesson learned - Pete knows best, so just follow the pioneer.
Will get a good test next weekend with 3 days at BIR for it and the lower grill screen from 06mach1.

Sorry for the late reply wanted to get all the info/pictures for the 2013. So under the radiator shroud is another shroud which attaches to the bumper cover AND radiator in a sneaky way. The bumper will be need to be finagled a little bit to get the secondary shroud to slide out. To loosen the bumper a little bit you'll need to remove 3 bolts from the front wheel well and this tab in the middle of the wheel well at the front of the wheel.

Here are some pictures that should help you along, this is where the secondary shroud attaches to the radiator (take off the fog covers!)

shroud2bolt.png

Here is how I loosened the front bumper (symmetric on both sides) Remember to push the bumper cover up out of its tabs and then pull out do not yank out only as you'll run the risk of snapping the tabs that lock the bumper cover in place.

bumper.png

Once this is loosened and all the bolts (including the sneaky through the fog cover bolts) are removed you can slide the secondary shroud out. Be careful/gentle!

Final product

nomexprotector.png

Upon reassembly remember to push the wheel well lining so it's in line with the bumper cover. Note the hood latch stuff still applies. I made a marking on my hood latch so it's in the same place. On an aside is it just me or does the hood take a little more force than other cars to close tight? The hook that attaches to the hood latch is missing a little paint. I might cover it with a little painter's tape...

All in all I'd say this mod takes easily 2X as long on the 2013s. :(

JScheier said:

Of course, they're out of stock and won't ship until 9/1........any other options?

It will be interesting to see if there is any improvement in cooling for you.

JScheier said:
cloud9 said:
Of course, they're out of stock and won't ship until 9/1........any other options?

You want my Cap'n Chickenwire Grille?
I'd feel like a poser. You are the original Captain Chicken Wire ;D

Actually Wayne just emailed me that he has the Saleen in the box for sale and he's going to be at BIR next weekend so it's all good. I'm assuming I won't have trouble canceling the order with Stage 3....especially since they're likely out of stock.

drano38

Wayne
Hey, here's a first - Gary buying a mod from me! ;D
That ego boost will come in handy for a few seconds per lap this weekend at BIR. :D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel