The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

pulled the trigger on a DSS driveshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I can't give you physics or justify the change with mathamatical equasions. But the aluminum shaft I put in my 2011 Procharged car made a noticeable difference. Not a huge difference but noticeable. I never got to the track so I can't tell if the ET was better. And the dyno tune we changed was with the aluminum shaft. I was skeptical when I read about lighter shafts making a difference but now I know first hand it does.

BTW Shaftmasters sent me a notice if I was interested in sending the shaft back for a refund or replacement. Stand up company IMO. I forwarded the information on to the new owner and they gave him the same offer. Weren't the failures specifically on the V6 with the duel mass flywheel only? I believe that design acompanied with the harmonics may have had something to do with the failures? Any body know the mathamatical equasion for that one? !!!

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
regalt87 said:
I can't give you physics or justify the change with mathamatical equasions. But the aluminum shaft I put in my 2011 Procharged car made a noticeable difference. Not a huge difference but noticeable. I never got to the track so I can't tell if the ET was better. And the dyno tune we changed was with the aluminum shaft. I was skeptical when I read about lighter shafts making a difference but now I know first hand it does.

BTW Shaftmasters sent me a notice if I was interested in sending the shaft back for a refund or replacement. Stand up company IMO. I forwarded the information on to the new owner and they gave him the same offer. Weren't the failures specifically on the V6 with the duel mass flywheel only? I believe that design acompanied with the harmonics may have had something to do with the failures? Any body know the mathamatical equasion for that one? !!!
I have seen some knuckle head on You Boob destroy his V6 drivetrain exceeding the Ford spec of 130 MPH for that car. I don't know about the drive shaft on this vehicle. Is it 2 piece like the Boss? Not being familiar with the design of this particular shaft it is difficult to speculate as to the failure mode of this particular drive shaft. Don't know if it failed somewhere in the shaft or at the joint. Each failure location would have a different mathematical representation and if you did not have an advanced engineering and math background the mathematical representations would mean nothing to you.

MMD

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:
I just ordered a DSS shaft from lethal. the price jumped from 699 to 719 since two days ago when I looked at it last. I used discount code ALLFORDS to get 6% or something off. Cant wait till it gets here. it will probably get here before the mythical MGW shifter arrives. I think they are done mining for alum ore now and are melting it down to make billet stock. then they have to build a CNC machine by hand. this is the process for each shifter they build they destroy the machine after they build one and start over. lol just kidding but man what takes so long to build a shifter?
Hey Boss2511 - Had you seen their You tube install videos for the shifter? If you did you would realize that maybe this shifter might be too good to go in the Boss. This shifter is so well thought out, well engineered, and built like a battleship. This thing looks like it belongs in a space shuttle or something! You might be frustrated now, but when you take delivery you will know it was worth the wait. Do you plan on installing both the drive shaft and MGW yourself? I would be very interested in knowing how this works out for you as I plan on doing the same thing eventually to my Boss when it comes in.

MMD
yeah I watched the videos. I know its worth the wait for one thats why I ordered it lol. had a MGW in the past for my T56 so I know they make top notch parts.

I do plan to install both myself in my driveway. the driveshaft is very easy I have done 5 of them on 05-09's and its the same ordeal on the 12's. the shifter I have done other years 84, 88, 89, 96, 04, 07's but not a 11-12 but I think it should pose to much of a problem as my friend did it in 2 hours and he is helpless when it comes to working on cars.

A friend of mine installed a CF shaft in his Boss and gained 6 hp. Personally I'm not sure there's much advantage of doing this in the Boss. I put one in my GT500 for safety since we boosted the horsepower 50% over stock and the factory shaft wouldn't hold that much power.

Justin

cloud9 said:
A friend of mine installed a CF shaft in his Boss and gained 6 hp. Personally I'm not sure there's much advantage of doing this in the Boss. I put one in my GT500 for safety since we boosted the horsepower 50% over stock and the factory shaft wouldn't hold that much power.
I am doing the swap mostly for safety cause I dont like the sound the stock one makes when I hit it with a 6600rpm launch. if it gains me some et and frees up some power great.

MakeMyDay said:
regalt87 said:

I have seen some knuckle head on You Boob destroy his V6 drivetrain exceeding the Ford spec of 130 MPH for that car. I don't know about the drive shaft on this vehicle. Is it 2 piece like the Boss? Not being familiar with the design of this particular shaft it is difficult to speculate as to the failure mode of this particular drive shaft. Don't know if it failed somewhere in the shaft or at the joint. Each failure location would have a different mathematical representation and if you did not have an advanced engineering and math background the mathematical representations would me nothing to you.

MMD
It was a 1 piece and I believe they failed at the front seam.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
boss2511 said:
[yeah I watched the videos. I know its worth the wait for one thats why I ordered it lol. had a MGW in the past for my T56 so I know they make top notch parts.

I do plan to install both myself in my driveway. the driveshaft is very easy I have done 5 of them on 05-09's and its the same ordeal on the 12's. the shifter I have done other years 84, 88, 89, 96, 04, 07's but not a 11-12 but I think it should pose to much of a problem as my friend did it in 2 hours and he is helpless when it comes to working on cars.
Justin - I know you got a lot on your plate being in the military and all but would it be asking too much from you to post up in the newly created "How To" forum a discussion on how you install the DSS drivetrain when you install it?

MMD

Justin

MakeMyDay said:
boss2511 said:
[yeah I watched the videos. I know its worth the wait for one thats why I ordered it lol. had a MGW in the past for my T56 so I know they make top notch parts.

Justin - I know you got a lot on your plate being in the military and all but would it be asking too much from you to post up in the newly created "How To" forum a discussion on how you install the DSS drivetrain when you install it?

MMD
I sure can already planned on it. ;)

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
They still smelting the bauxite ore for the aluminum? For the love of Pete, what is taking so long? ??? Hell, it's not even my DS and I'm getting impatient! I want one too, and please indicate what the total time was required for you to take delivery after placing your order. Will the MGW beat the DS? Only time will tell...

Justin

ace72ace said:
They still smelting the bauxite ore for the aluminum? For the love of Pete, what is taking so long? ??? Hell, it's not even my DS and I'm getting impatient! I want one too, and please indicate what the total time was required for you to take delivery after placing your order. Will the MGW beat the DS? Only time will tell...
+1 on that

Justin

Update on the shifter
I think my shifter may actually ship today got this back from Julie
WE ARE PUTTING THEM TOGETHER NOW AND SHIPPING AS MANY AS WE CAN TODAY YOUR
UP FRONT SO IT SHOULD GO.

JULIE

Justin

ace72ace said:
Good luck on the MGW. What date did you place your order from DSS?
I ordered the Driveshaft the 11th of April. So if should ship hopefully next week. they said 3-4 weeks and May 2nd is the 4 week mark. best believe I will be contacting lethal and DSS if I dont see a shpping status my the end of next week.

I ordered my MGW shifter on March 14th.

ace72ace

Thanks, if I'm lucky enough to get a July Q3 build, then I could expect my Boss early August. I think to be safe I'll put in my order towards the end of June. The plan is to have everything I need to get the MGW and DS installed the same weekend, providing the weather cooperates and my buddy with all the tools required is available.

Justin

ace72ace said:
Thanks, if I'm lucky enough to get a July Q3 build, then I could expect my Boss early August. I think to be safe I'll put in my order towards the end of June. The plan is to have everything I need to get the MGW and DS installed the same weekend, providing the weather cooperates and my buddy with all the tools required is available.
I am usually the buddy that everyone comes to to have work done on there car lol

ace72ace

Heh, I bet. I'm lucky to have an old school muscle car guy in my neighborhood. Original owner of a low miles 'grabber blue' (don't know the AMC color code/name) Javelin. I just need to provide the beers and steak tips and we will be good to go!

ace72ace

What is the ETA for the DS? Wouldn't it be a hoot if both the DS and the MGW arrived on the same day? Make sure you put that boat anchor stock DS on the scale once the swap is complete, heard it's around 43lbs? Also if you can pay attn. how your Boss behaves/feels dropping it into reverse and see if you lose much of the 'clunk', if any exists. I've only observed this on older land yachts with over 100k on them and auto trans, haven't noticed much 'clunk' out of the wife's GT.

I guess there's no real way to quantify the level smoothness you get once you upgrade, but it's worth a shot to ask.

TMO Supporting Vendors