The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Racing and the DMV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Back in the day we didn't need mto register our race cars as long as we didn't drive them on the street.
Now, the DMV has notified me that I have to register my car, and if it is converted to an off highway vehicle I have to register it as such. What I am wondering is, what are you guys doing with your competition only cars....?
Filing a non op or paying the off road registration or just ignoring it all together?
I got another threatening letter from the DMV today and I'm not sure how to handle it.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I haven't personally been in this situation but... if you intend to ever drive it on the road again, you should pay the non-OP. Otherwise those fees will just keep compounding every year until you have a large bill when you re-register it for road-use. But I'd say for most race cars, this is highly unlikely. I think California may also get you for those fees if they're unpaid and you ever sell the vehicle with the title, but I'm not sure.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
mattlqx said:
I haven't personally been in this situation but... if you intend to ever drive it on the road again, you should pay the non-OP. Otherwise those fees will just keep compounding every year until you have a large bill when you re-register it for road-use. But I'd say for most race cars, this is highly unlikely. I think California may also get you for those fees if they're unpaid and you ever sell the vehicle with the title, but I'm not sure.
Kevin stole every road going devise there was....said that blinker knob was too heavy....this car will never see the street again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Tell them it's in another state and no longer used on the highway. The CA DMV is the worse place to go to in this country other than El Paso, TX aka Hell Paso.

Pay up, risk a fine or move away. I thought the communist state of Maryland was bad. I speculate that if they don't get enough revenue they will ban race cars like they are doing to guns and ammo in your state.
Good luck

Copied from the CA DMV website
Registering Your Off-Highway Vehicle

In California, you not only need to register your car, you must also register any off-highway motorized vehicles that you own. This includes:

Trail bikes.
Mini bikes.
Racing motorcycles.
Dune buggies.
All-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
Snowmobiles.

Although these vehicles do not require the standard on-highway registration, they must display an identification plate issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
Advertisement

This simple process requires you to:

Make an appointment at your neighborhood CA DMV office.
Submit a completed Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343).
Have the vehicle verification portion of the application completed by a CA DMV representative, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier.
Provide a bill of sale, out-of-state title, or the manufacturer's certificate of origin as evidence of ownership.
Hand over any on-highway plates registered to the vehicle.
Pay the original off-highway application fee of $52.
Pay the use tax.

For more information about fees, visit the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) website.

Bay Area
Just do a non-op. After the 1st year you never pay until you want to bring it back. Ask me how I know, cause I do it with all of my motorcycles. Hell, I'm still in a non op for a bike I sold to a buddy.

I did non-op on my last track car, sold to someone who wanted to put it back on the street and didn't have any issues. The new owner had to make it street legal again so it could pass smog but I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary with the sell.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
voodoo child21 said:
Cali is $129 billion in the red, they need your $52 Fabman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah, if it were only $52.00.....I own a business and the amount of taxes I pay here in the lovely bay area is positively obscene. Then there's where my tax dollars go...don't get me started!

Mine is PNOed, was PNOed when I bought it and it cost me $24 to transfer the title to my name. I could bring it back and just have to pay current reg, no back reg, but it would have to pass smog...

I wanted to be able to park it on the street so I threw on the street legal exhaust and brought it to a smog shop. It failed visual because the aftermarket dash does not have a CEL (OBD1). Well, it does, it utilizes the e-brake warning light as the CEL sicne it doesn't have an ebrake. It isn't labeled CEL and apparently that's a failure. I didn't feel like dealing with it so I just keep it in the garage. The smog guy told me if I had taped a label to the light before I came in he would've been OK with it, but since I didn't he couldn't pass me. California is JANK.

Bay Area
mprichar87 said:
Mine is PNOed, was PNOed when I bought it and it cost me $24 to transfer the title to my name. I could bring it back and just have to pay current reg, no back reg, but it would have to pass smog...

I wanted to be able to park it on the street so I threw on the street legal exhaust and brought it to a smog shop. It failed visual because the aftermarket dash does not have a CEL (OBD1). Well, it does, it utilizes the e-brake warning light as the CEL sicne it doesn't have an ebrake. It isn't labeled CEL and apparently that's a failure. I didn't feel like dealing with it so I just keep it in the garage. The smog guy told me if I had taped a label to the light before I came in he would've been OK with it, but since I didn't he couldn't pass me. California is JANK.

Paper plates my friend... I use them all the time. You and Sal can borrow mine anytime.

50Deep

Jockin' GT350's
Sacramento
I used to work for DMV. Place the vehicle on PNO and it lasts indefinitely. No penalties will accrue, and if ever registered for the road again you only pay the current years fees.

Dmv will still send you a yearly invitation to renew, but it is not a bill, only an invitation with proposed fees as they are statutorily required to send it to you.

If you leave the registration outstanding and do not place it on PNO then you are responsible for all the registration fees and penalties. If you let it go on long enough they will send your information to the franchise tax board and garnish you income taxes.

Bottom line: Pay the one time PNO fee and be done. I think it's only $17

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
50Deep said:
I used to work for DMV. Place the vehicle on PNO and it lasts indefinitely. No penalties will accrue, and if ever registered for the road again you only pay the current years fees.

Dmv will still send you a yearly invitation to renew, but it is not a bill, only an invitation with proposed fees as they are statutorily required to send it to you.

If you leave the registration outstanding and do not place it on PNO then you are responsible for all the registration fees and penalties. If you let it go on long enough they will send your information to the franchise tax board and garnish you income taxes.

Bottom line: Pay the one time PNO fee and be done. I think it's only $17
ding ding I think we have a winner here....thank you everyone for your advice.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Grant 302 said:
How much is yours? Just looked at the amount for my Boss and it would have been $46 to PNO.
I'll have to check.
The registration is about 300.00 plus *ahem* a special smog for 350.00 is a lot just to bed my pads in on the street.

mattlqx

Mustangless
byronj said:
I save the paper plates from every vehicle I have purchased. I even tell my buddies to give me their paper plates. Works great. You'd love the one I have on my Fusion right now.

Are you talking about a dealer logo plate that basically says "hey I just bought this"? Wouldn't it be a little obvious that's not true if you have it on a race car?

TMO Supporting Vendors