The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removed Fuel Rail Covers - Car sounds awesome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For those who haven't tried, consider removing your fuel rail covers :) The car sounds wonderful since I've done it.
I actually removed it because I thought it looked a bit cheap...it's not a true component of the motor, and just covers the intake runners and the rail/some coolant lines.

I had no idea that Ford installed this for NVH! It really silences the car. Ever since owning this car, I always wondered why the engine was so quiet. The exhaust is wonderful, but the motor was always muted. Well, these covers are why! They quieted down the motor a ton! Without them, you definitely hear the roar of the motor. It becomes evident 3k rpm and above. Big difference in sound character. I used to get sound only out the back. Now it's from the front as well (approx 50/50 with 3/4 baffles in). Real nice.

Pictured below is what I'm referencing. They're on both sides of the intake plenium, just over the fuel rail.

parts3_zps07e7ccb4.jpg

the front cover under the intake is not hard to remove, but the rear you will have to remove the intake. Its not hard to do but just just keep that in mind before you start.

Yup I took off the side ones too. Sounds great! Then I noticed two square ones between the fuel rails and a rubber hose running into the intake, are ther even more under neath the intake?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Swiesz said:
Yup I took off the side ones too. Sounds great! Then I noticed two square ones between the fuel rails and a rubber hose running into the intake, are ther even more under neath the intake?
yes as previously stated above.

Unrelated to the engine, but there are also two large black foam rubber/fiber sound dampers in the fenders. They get soaked every time the car gets wet and just sit inside the fender soaking wet. I have a feeling they will be a problem for anyone who drives a GT or Boss in the winter. You can remove them by opening the door and getting an arm in there, but it is really tight. They are not secured at all.

have you tried mounting up a filter on a stick (aftermarket air intake)? The engine almost trumpets louder up front than it does out back. Add a tiger racing hood into the picture and it's even louder.

Boro92: not to be stupid but what does NVH mean and how does change the sound of the motor? (Those "covers" are foam, right?)

No question is stupid.

NVH stands for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness.

The PLASTIC covers reduce noise the engine transmits from the top of the heads. Furthermore, under the intake there are foam blocks which may be for noise reduction, but I do think they serve a higher purpose and attempt to keep the intake cool. There was discussion regarding these in another thread and as of right now, I dont think I am going to remove anything. The last thing I want is to remove something that creates noise I dont want to hear.

The car right now is stupid loud with my ARH longtubes, ARH off-road X-Pipe which feeds into stock side pipes with plates removed, JPC over-axle pipes, and Borla 13' GT500 S-Type mufflers. Sounds like a late 60's muscle car on light throttle, a battalion of tanks firing at anything above 3K rpm, and the gates of hell opening at anything above 5k. On downshifts it sounds like an F1 car. I might try the covers on the heads but dont think I am going to remove those foam blocks unless I can get some heat reflective materials cleanly around that area.

sadil said:
No question is stupid.

NVH stands for Noise, Vibration, and Harshness.

The PLASTIC covers reduce noise the engine transmits from the top of the heads. Furthermore, under the intake there are foam blocks which may be for noise reduction, but I do think they serve a higher purpose and attempt to keep the intake cool. There was discussion regarding these in another thread and as of right now, I dont think I am going to remove anything. The last thing I want is to remove something that creates noise I dont want to hear.

The car right now is stupid loud with my ARH longtubes, ARH off-road X-Pipe which feeds into stock side pipes with plates removed, JPC over-axle pipes, and Borla 13' GT500 S-Type mufflers. Sounds like a late 60's muscle car on light throttle, a battalion of tanks firing at anything above 3K rpm, and the gates of hell opening at anything above 5k. On downshifts it sounds like an F1 car. I might try the covers on the heads but dont think I am going to remove those foam blocks unless I can get some heat reflective materials cleanly around that area.

You can't be that descriptive and not include some sort of video clip!

I had been considering this for awhile. 2 inch thick foam insulation on an engine that runs pretty darn hot can't be too good for it. So, you motivated me. I can't see any difference on my air intake or cylinder head temps via the Track App but it will say that NOW it sounds like it should have from the factory. Race Car!!! ;D

Now, if I can just figure out how the guy in this link made his custom covers...

http://www.mustangevolution.com/forum/f358/t305313/

Tulsa, OK
CPTMac689 said:
I had been considering this for awhile. 2 inch thick foam insulation on an engine that runs pretty darn hot can't be too good for it. So, you motivated me. I can't see any difference on my air intake or cylinder head temps via the Track App but it will say that NOW it sounds like it should have from the factory. Race Car!!! ;D

Now, if I can just figure out how the guy in this link made his custom covers...

Looks like he just cut up a stock 5.0 intake cover...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CPTMac689 said:

hmm I don't care for that look but have to see it in person to be sure

TMO Supporting Vendors