The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Restraint Harness Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolTechLLC said:
http://www.saferacer.com/schroth-profi-ii-hans-6pt-camlock-harness.html?productid=2152

I looked at a set of these belts this weekend. VERY nice set-up!

It is by far the best belt system I have used, the thin hip belts are the key. They really get into your hips, and the pulls and releases are very good.

pufferfish said:
i have seen one harness manufacturer (can't remember which) that provides a mechanism to allow the inside shoulder strap of the harness to release or extend in a rollover, so your body can collapse and not have your spine crushed by your head.

until i work up the nerve to install a 4pt rollbar, i will stick with my CG lock, which is a fantastic little piece of gadgetry that has been used in 4 cars now.

The single side with the snap is to prevent submarining, I doubt it would help in a roll over. Fixed back seats in general should not be used without at least a rollbar, because in theory oem seats will snap and allow you to lean back in a rollover before your head is squashed. I'm not sure I really believe that oem seats will do that, as I have never seen it happen in a roll at the track. I use a CG Lock in non-caged cars and recommend it.

BossDuke said:
5 DOT 0 said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:
What do you guys think about this?

http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_retractable_harness_belts/

I had a roll bar in my 04 Cobra but don't want to put on in my BOSS. Not crazy about harness bars either.
This looks interesting but I don't quite understand how it works. Does it attach to your existing seat belt?

I don't get it either. Do the split belts go through the seat back rest slots or around the door side of the seat (like the factory three point does)?

If it goes through the seat back, the angle to the mounting point would be extreme and side load the seat back. If it goes around the seat back, I can't see how the belt is any significant improvement over the factory single shoulder belt as the same extreme force would be placed on the collar bone in frontal impact. The photos on the web site do not show them installed or in use. They show the belt with a bend at the Y junction that I don't think is how they would fit when tightened across the upper body. It would end up with a straight Y running diagonally across the upper body from the pillar mounting point to the connection points on the lap belt. Other than having two torso belts slightly separated below the chest, I don't see any benefit over the factory set up besides the locking feature and disconnect feature.

I may have this wrong, but their web site is no help. Anybody have these and can clearly explain how they function?

Mike

Yeah I noticed that the web site was not that informative about that product. I would like to see how it works though.

TMO Supporting Vendors