The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road Race automatic transmissions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@Ludachris
I am trying to accumulate as many auto trans threads as I can.
I've put together a group of links, and e mailed them to Paul Forte at Turbo Action transmission in Jax.
Paul was instrumental in developing Chrysler's Torqueflight and GM 700R4 transmissions for drag racing, he has also used them in circle track applications.
He is now in his 80s, and is covered up in trans work, but he would be the guy I would recommend to try and get these things to work.
I'm really trying to get him to get involved to help solve this crap.
So.. let's start here..

Last edited:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
What info are you trying to get him to see in these threads? The complaints about the current transmissions and the need for a remedy in this market?

We can find more threads to share by using the Advanced Search page and trying different keyword combos, isolating specific sub-forums like the Drivetrain sub-forums under the S550 and S197 parent forums, and also clicking the search threads tab on that advanced search page to get even more granular search filter options. It will likely get you more results than just typing keywords into the top search bar and hitting Enter.

We can also use Google for these searches to get some more threads by searching "keyword trackmustangsonline.com" - replacing "keyword" with automatic transmission or something else of course.

What info are you trying to get him to see in these threads? The complaints about the current transmissions and the need for a remedy in this market?

We can find more threads to share by using the Advanced Search page and trying different keyword combos, isolating specific sub-forums like the Drivetrain sub-forums under the S550 and S197 parent forums, and also clicking the search threads tab on that advanced search page to get even more granular search filter options. It will likely get you more results than just typing keywords into the top search bar and hitting Enter.

We can also use Google for these searches to get some more threads by searching "keyword trackmustangsonline.com" - replacing "keyword" with automatic transmission or something else of course.
I'm really pushing him to get into this road race stuff, @flyhalf is writing the book on it, and he could benefit as well, as maybe the RnD guy. because these guys have huge fabrication resources. I just happen to know this guy personally, and If I can pile all the stuff in one area, it makes it easier to find/sell to sell the project. You have to remember you are dealing with a bunch of us old guys.

Plus they are about as "merican" as you can get.. lol

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'm really pushing him to get into this road race stuff, @flyhalf is writing the book on it, and he could benefit as well, as maybe the RnD guy. because these guys have huge fabrication resources. I just happen to know this guy personally, and If I can pile all the stuff in one area, it makes it easier to find/sell to sell the project. You have to remember you are dealing with a bunch of us old guys.

Plus they are about as "merican" as you can get.. lol
You weren't kidding. 😁

As much of a manual guy as I am, I think we're destined to see more automatics at the track going forward. There's no getting around that, especially since fewer manuals are produced every year. It's just going to be a reality. And that means more people will be looking for solutions to make them perform as expected on a road course. I agree with you that we need more pros to be involved.

So I spent over an hour with Paul on the phone this afternoon discussing some of this. To paraphrase most of that,
He's now very aware of this thread and how to access it.
He's going to look it over
He's neck deep in Hellcat stuff.
A couple of quick, general suggestions though,
1. try using Amsoil ATF, as they saw a marked improvement in the drag cars running back, to back, round robin style drag racing
2. For a street/track car, someone needs to hack into the software and cut out any unused "gears" in the trans, basically, make it a 5 or 6 speed, this should kill some of the heat.
3. for a dedicated track car, hack into the software, cut out the undesired gears, and then actually remove them from the case itself. This should stop some of the heat buildup, friction and rotating mass.
This would of course go along with what you are already doing, which is improving the cooling and cooling capacity of the trans.
That's it for now, but it's a start.

I kind of emphasized the fact that all the makes using this trans were having issues, and the problem was trying to get street/track cars to maintain temps, without giving up the streetability of the trans (all 10 speeds). The racers tend to be a bit more scorched earth in their methodology.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
So I spent over an hour with Paul on the phone with afternoon discussing some of this. To paraphrase most of that,
He's now very aware of this thread and how to access it.
He's going to look it over
He's neck deep in Hellcat stuff.
A couple of quick, general suggestions though,
1. try using Amsoil ATF, as they saw a marked improvement in the drag cars running back, to back, round robin style drag racing
2. For a street/track car, someone needs to hack into the software and cut out any unused "gears" in the trans, basically, make it a 5 or 6 speed, this should kill some of the heat.
3. for a dedicated track car, hack into the software, cut out the undesired gears, and then actually remove them from the case itself. This should stop some of the heat buildup, friction and rotating mass.
This would of course go along with what you are already doing, which is improving the cooling and cooling capacity of the trans.
That's it for now, but it's a start.
Interesting. Can the average TMO'er hack into the software or would we need to get a tuning software company involved to do this and offer a custom tune for that? (We meaning auto-trans Mustang owners as a collective). Forgive my ignorance on the tuning side, I haven't dabbled with that at all on my GT.

Interesting. Can the average TMO'er hack into the software or would we need to get a tuning software company involved to do this and offer a custom tune for that? (We meaning auto-trans Mustang owners as a collective). Forgive my ignorance on the tuning side, I haven't dabbled with that at all on my GT.
He knows a guy, however, wouldn't it be nice if Ford sort of gave us their blessing (by blessing, I mean assistance) There are literally thousands of mustang owners out there who would probably like to track their cars, but have heard, read, or will shortly experience trans problems if they do. I think there is some benefit to them as well.

sfo
On the use of different atf here is my datapoint.
I run motor oil choice based on viscosity at race temperature. That approximately means a street car spec 10-30 I might run 15-50 on track.

That line of thinking got me to try upping atf viscosity at race temp. So I mixed 50%ULV with LV. There was no noticeable difference at temperature but upon 1st cold start-up I had to idle the car for 5mins to get some heat into the A10 would engage any gear. I went back to ULV as spec'ed.

I guess the LV cold viscosity it more than the A10 wants?

Ymmv

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel