The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sanity Check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I was installing a Mishimoto oil cooler kit over the weekend and I'm fairly certain their instructions are wrong.

This is how the sandwich plate flows, correct?
1697461848226.png

This is how they say to attach the two oil lines to the sandwich plate...
1697461952581.png1697462172787.png
Following their instructions would make oil flow in the cooler from top to bottom but you want the opposite, right? Should be from bottom to top so air doesn't get trapped, right?
Not a big deal, I can just swap the lines at the sandwich plate but I find it hard to believe a company as big as them would make this kind of mistake....hence the sanity check.

Thanks in advance!

I was installing a Mishimoto oil cooler kit over the weekend and I'm fairly certain their instructions are wrong.

View attachment 90688

View attachment 90689View attachment 90690
Following their instructions would make oil flow in the cooler from top to bottom but you want the opposite, right? Should be from bottom to top so air doesn't get trapped, right?
Not a big deal, I can just swap the lines at the sandwich plate but I find it hard to believe a company as big as them would make this kind of mistake....hence the sanity check.

Thanks in advance!
Bottom to top would be correct.

CA

View attachment 90688

View attachment 90689View attachment 90690

Thanks in advance!
I had the same issue, their stupid sandwhich plate came with no instructions and it isn't labeled so I reached out to them directly to confirm routing and they sent me this:

1697476169735.png

CA
Thank you sir. Matches my thoughts.
So their instructions are wrong. That's rather embarrassing on their part...
You bet!

yeah between poor directions and being unable to give any sort of performance value for their coolers (BTU/hr values, pressure differential values, etc.), I don’t have a ton of confidence in mishimoto but they make good entry level stuff.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Thats a really really small oil cooler. I imagine you will keep the original water/oil cooler as well?
Negative. Removed it.
I know this kit is not very popular and has been shown it cannot withstand 20 min sessions in high ambient heat but I don't do long sessions nor do I go to track days over 90°F. I *think* it should be fine for my use (definitely not the fastest guy out there). I also really liked that it came as a complete kit and took all the guess work out of the equation.
If this will end up being a waste of time/money, then it'll be a learning point for me.

Monaca Pa
Ewheels diagram and SMGDHG are the same flow just 1 viewed from engine and other to engine.
Like you said just switch lines.

I bought that kit and found no difference in oil temps. I ended up going the Setrab route.

I don’t think I would even sell my Mishimoto to anyone because it doesn’t work. I did think about adding another cooler to it but didn’t.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Ewheels diagram and SMGDHG are the same flow just 1 viewed from engine and other to engine.
Like you said just switch lines.

I bought that kit and found no difference in oil temps. I ended up going the Setrab route.

I don’t think I would even sell my Mishimoto to anyone because it doesn’t work. I did think about adding another cooler to it but didn’t.
Thanks for confirming flow direction, Jeff.

Yeah, I knew it might be a waste going into the purchase but we'll see what happens 🤷‍♂️

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Negative. Removed it.
I know this kit is not very popular and has been shown it cannot withstand 20 min sessions in high ambient heat but I don't do long sessions nor do I go to track days over 90°F. I *think* it should be fine for my use (definitely not the fastest guy out there). I also really liked that it came as a complete kit and took all the guess work out of the equation.
If this will end up being a waste of time/money, then it'll be a learning point for me.
Not to be to down.... But, after killing a bunch of motors because of oil temp/pressure, I would dump that cooler and put the original unit back on. Not sure if it would stand a hot day in traffic.

TMO Supporting Vendors