The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Scan Tool Recommendations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GB218

TMO Addict
Greetings all,

I'm looking to buy a scan tool and need some advice. What make/models are you using? Any pros & or cons? Should I consider getting a data logger too?

I don't track the car but I try to do my own maintenance as much as possible.

As always, thank you for your time and your input.

GB218

Do you want generic or do you want enhanced (bi-directional)? Do you want to be able to look at Ford products only or other makes? Money is really the key factor here. How much do you want to spend? Really good scan tools are over 10 grand, which I assume you are not looking for. And for $100-$200 you can get a really good generic tool. If just looking for Ford data only, I have heard of a few guys having pretty good luck with the Chinese copy of the IDS. Just can't program with it from what I understand.

I bought this from amazon last Christmas when it was on sale. I think I got it for around $150.

It has worked well with all my cars. It recognizes most new cars once plugged in, so you dont have to manually select the car. Also, I believe it has the ability to check individual sensors, but I've never tried that feature, so don't quote me on that.

Propilot

Support your local MS Society Chapter
As an ASE Automotive Master Certified Technician for over 31 years, I have come to love and trust my OTC Encore scan tool. Here is a link to their site. Expect to pay about $2,000.00

https://www.otctools.com/products/otc-encore

Is there an affordable scan tool that will allow the crankshaft relearn needed after clutch replacement?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
steveespo said:
SCT X4 works as an excellent scan tool, does the relearn and of course can load tunes into the PCM.

Good information, I just purchased an X4 Tuner.

302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel