The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Shelby Nationals - Hallet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So Hallet is on my to-do list but I don't know if I should just jump in on a COMMA DE event or try to partake as part of the Shelby Nats:
http://www.midamericafordmeet.com/index.htm

Has anybody done this event, or can offer an opinion? Would be fun to see a bunch of Mustangs, but concerned that it might be amateur season. Albeit, I'm a relative noob, figure 10-12 days on track by the time this rolls around (and I've got a 2-3 dozen autocrosses in the memory bank).

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Hallett is a fantastic track! Went back last summer (first time back in 10 years) and loved it. Hot as balls and humid to boot, but the track and facility are first-class and the staff is simply amazing!

I have not done the Shelby Nationals as it almost always coincides with a NASA event. Maybe some of the others can chime in on that.

I will say that after the repaving that Hallett had last year, the surface was slicker than snot. I think I went off track 6 times on Friday and 2-3 on Saturday. No damage, but damn. I hadn't been off-track that much in my last 10 seasons :)

Oh yeah... and I OWNED the biznitch! (it was the rest of the track that owned me :) ).

Tulsa, OK
Like John said, Hallett is a great track! I have been going to the Shelby event for a few years now as I live in Tulsa.

You are right to be concerned about the Shelby event being a free-for-all. The race group isn't too bad but there seems to be a lot of guys in the less experienced groups that don't know what they're doing on track. Couple that with too much horsepower and big egos and it's a recipe for disaster. If I were you I would check out an HST (High Speed Touring) event that Hallett puts on every month starting in March. The do COMMA and HST during the same weekend, COMMA being the race series and HST being the DE series. You'll get better track time at an HST event and it will allow you to get more comfortable with the track before the Shelby event. But the Shelby event is still a ton of fun if it's not too hot.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions about Hallett of the Shelby event. I'm usually at Hallett at least once a month when the weather is nice :)

I have done Hallet Shelby in my Boss and a rental Taurus. The group 2 guys think they are racing, so be carful. I have not done the most experienced group or the no-passing group. Fun time, just let the guys who think they are running Daytona pass in the passing areas. Rick

TMO Supporting Vendors