The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

So You Yearn for a 70s "Muscle" Car Huh?-Good News!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford offered a 302 V8 option putting out a whopping 210 HP back in 1971 for the Maverick. The Muscle car era was beginning to come to a screaching halt right around that time otherwise who knows what Ford may have done next? 428 Cobra Jet engine???

That muscle car era was classic! I think it peaked out in 1970. Everybody and their brother had a hi-pro car to sell! After that things started winding in a hurry. Glad I had my 1968 Olds 442 when I did. My last great car til my Boss!!

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
A shame they're laying that name on an SUV, though.

Never thought of the Maverick and muscle cars belonging on the same page...but who am I to judge???
Somewhere back in the 70's, my cousin swapped a 302/4-speed into one. Not brutally quick, but at least deceptively so.

Norm

Last edited:
I have a 70 Mach 1 with a 428CJ and a 2016 GT350. Both are fast and scary in different ways. The 70 is scary in that it has no real safety features and has horrible brakes. The 350 is as fast or faster and does does everything well.

TMO Supporting Vendors