The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Staggered vs square wheels all around for your BOSS?

firefighter120

just an ordinary guy with an extra-ordinary car
Has anybody had any issues by going one size rim width all around?

My Boss has 19x9 in front and 19x9.5 in back and I'm thinking of either going 18x10 or 19X9 or 19x10 all around and was wondering if any of you have done this and encountered anything adverse with regards to handling, more under steer etc? Issues with track key? And if so what do I need to do to correct it or should I just leave it alone and keep it staggered.

I plan on keeping my original staggered rims only for winter where I won't drive much due to snow/salt etc and am getting a designated summer set which I can drive like hell on for both on and off the track so any help would be greatly appreciated! With the square set up I could easily swap/rotate etc but not at the risk of compromising the handling.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Front wheel specs:
19" x 9" wide
5-lug, 4.5" bolt circle
169.3mm backspacing
42mm offset
255/40R-19 Pirelli PZero max performance

Rear wheel specs:
19 x 9.5-in.
5-lug, 4.5" bolt circle
180.9mm backspacing
45mm offset
285/35R-19 Pirelli PZero max performance


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba6xMyAI2Y&feature=c4-overview&list=UU1QY5SxW_WpO2EbTmEZtaRA
 

firefighter120

just an ordinary guy with an extra-ordinary car
That was very helpful thank you! After weighing all options I think it best to stick with staggered. Also got a nice email from American muscle when I asked them about going either 9 or 10 all around.

>Thank you for contacting us. We recommend not using a 10in wheel up front because you may run into some rubbing issues especially when you turn the car, so that is why we list the 10in wheels as rear only. If you decided to go with a 19x9 wheel out back, and put a 245/45-19 tire on it as we list as the best tire fitment for that size wheel. The speedometer will be off a bit. For instance, if you are driving 60mph with your 19x9.5 and 285/35-19 on the rear, you would be actually going 62mph with the 245/45-19. Since there is a ½in difference between the wheels should not noticeable with handling especially if you are just going to use the tires and wheels for daily driving, but with the smaller wheel you will not have the same amount of rubber on the back of the car, like with a 285/35-19 tire.<
 

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
3,909
2,397
Santiago, Chile
I went with 275/35-19 all square and am very happy! rotating tires when you track the car saves you lots for Cash. The pain is with the 9 and 9.5 inch wheels you have to dismount to rotate, but since they are directional have to do it anyways!
 
367
1
Splatter said:
I went with 275/35-19 all square and am very happy! rotating tires when you track the car saves you lots for Cash. The pain is with the 9 and 9.5 inch wheels you have to dismount to rotate, but since they are directional have to do it anyways!

What tires are you running in that size? I presume Z2?
 
I run 18 x 10" wheels all around with 275-305s. Never had a rubbing issue. You can rn a 5mm spacer if it concerns the driver. I would be curious to know if anyone is running 19 x 10 wheels square, though.
 

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
3,909
2,397
Santiago, Chile
I run the stock rims with a square 275/35-19 tire. They work well on the track and was thinking of getting a set of SVE Drifts with 35mm offset 9.5 x 19 all the way around. Having tires like the Direzza ZII helps alot. But the car really likes the rotation and under-steer is near nil.

I would would love to have the same tire in 285/35-19 but its not out yet. With 35mm offset and -1.9 camber they should fit fine. Any one try that size up front?
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
firefighter120 said:
>Thank you for contacting us. We recommend not using a 10in wheel up front because you may run into some rubbing issues especially when you turn the car, so that is why we list the 10in wheels as rear only.

What a bunch of comedians over there. I wouldn't expect them to have a workable 10" front solution available since they are just a pass-through for other manufacturers' stuff, but 10" wheels fit just fine if you use the proper offsets.

However, if you want to use the stock swaybars this is a moot point since you will want the staggered setup to keep the handling neutral.
 
If the original poster's question was: "Can I run staggered tires on square wheels (as opposed to staggered tires on staggered wheels)?", it looks like Hermes is running square wheels (18x10 F14s) and staggered tires. See Hermes's posts in this thread. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5342.0, particularly post #12 and confirming in post #40.

For my stock-height 2013 LS, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of lightweight 18" wheels, and wondering whether to go 18x9/18x10, or just go 18x10 all the way around. F14s or SVE Drifts, most likely... just don't like the offset of the 18x10.5" PF01. The Black Friday deal at LMR for SVE Drifts is enticing.... just waiting to see what AM comes up with for F14s! ;D ;D
 
2,026
822
Bay Area
I run a square set up. 18x9.5 rims with 275/40/18. I do have a little rear wheel hop and know how to work around it. Steering is better than stock. IMO, just try it out and learn what you like. We are all different drivers and what works for me doesn't work for my friends and their bosses.
 
SBY LS330 said:
If the original poster's question was: "Can I run staggered tires on square wheels (as opposed to staggered tires on staggered wheels)?", it looks like Hermes is running square wheels (18x10 F14s) and staggered tires. See Hermes's posts in this thread. https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5342.0, particularly post #12 and confirming in post #40.

For my stock-height 2013 LS, I am about to pull the trigger on a set of lightweight 18" wheels, and wondering whether to go 18x9/18x10, or just go 18x10 all the way around. F14s or SVE Drifts, most likely... just don't like the offset of the 18x10.5" PF01. The Black Friday deal at LMR for SVE Drifts is enticing.... just waiting to see what AM comes up with for F14s! ;D ;D
You can now get 45 offset PF01's. Check the CorteX Racing website.
 
Thanks for the reminder about the Cortex PF01s with a more-tucked-in offset. I just ordered a staggered set in black.

Staggered, lighter, wider, black... my wheel research has ended! :D :D :D

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

via thumb power from my Pantech Discover
 

firefighter120

just an ordinary guy with an extra-ordinary car
SBY LS330 said:
Thanks for the reminder about the Cortex PF01s with a more-tucked-in offset. I just ordered a staggered set in black.

Staggered, lighter, wider, black... my wheel research has ended! :D :D :D

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

via thumb power from my Pantech Discover


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Firefighter120, the video is really neat. Ford could make a commercial using 1:25 through 1:50....has a late 1960's feel to it. I was in diapers then but from the magazine articles I have read/seen and from the proliferation of videos on the net it has that definite vibe. The Boss 302 decal shot is ultra COOL! Good job,nice car and thanks for sharing! You may have motivated me into making a similar video using my '12 race red Boss!
 

firefighter120

just an ordinary guy with an extra-ordinary car
Hey guys thanks a bunch on the advice/links as well as the comments on the video. It's snowing like hell in New York so I've decided to save up and first try the existing staggered set up with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 or Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and then pull the trigger on a square set up with the lighter Enkei PF01 18×10.5 wheels from Cortex R. (Especially since I'm still learning and am no where near your skill levels)

Will need to do a bit more reading/research on how 315s all around would hold up, might need to use the CR’s front and rear Suspension w/ Watts Link,...time and money will tell!

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays and happy New year!

Be safe.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top