The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tech-package-on-track experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattlqx

Mustangless
I'm at Chuckwalla with NASA with my Tech package GT350. Car is bone stock except for UPR catch cans. Ambient temperatures are around 80°F today.

Transmission temperature is the bottleneck. Once it hits 280°F, the car starts limiting throttle significantly to protect itself. No warnings or lights, just reduced power. It's pretty smooth, it doesn't stutter or jerk. I reach this point in about 5 laps of this 2.3 mile track. It's pretty technical; lots of on it, maintenance throttle, on it, brake zone type stuff. Average lap time (for non-race groups anyway) is low 2 minutes.

Engine oil temps hold fine at 250°F after a lap or two. While I can't get a direct reading on the diff fluid, using an infrared thermometer, the casing reads 180°F consistently after coming off track, so that seems fine as well.

This is my experience after 3 sessions. The last session I stuck in 4th for most of the time rather than shifting between 3 and 4. It yielded mostly the same temperatures.

Kinda disappointing but while the trans isn't overheated, it's very fun. Loads of grip, loads of stopping power. Beautiful noise.

The spendy option to add the cooler would be buying the transmission part number w/ cooler pump (FR3Z-7003-D) and just doing a swap. Looks like it'd run around $4500 w/ $1000 core. I think a competent transmission shop should be able to do it for a quarter of that, but it's something I'll have to investigate in the near future.

I don't believe the diff temperature would be a problem in 20 minute sessions if I was out there the whole time. Maybe if ambient was closer to 100°F. But everything I saw from the diff was very consistent temperature wise and no smell of fluid.

Thanks for posting. This is something that I've been very curious about. Hopefully, Ford Performance will come out with that add-on trans and diff cooler set sooner rather than later.

Matt, thanks for posting that. I read the hot trans pulled timing elsewhere and was very suspect of that. But you've confirmed it so I believe it now. ;) FP is already working on the trans cooler so hopefully they are reading this and make this a high priority. Although I haven't confirmed this I'm sure their kit will include a pump. What I have confirmed is the kit will include many of the same parts as the R/TP kit so expect OEM fitment and quality from the kit.

How are Drew and Derek doing?

mattlqx

Mustangless
VoodooBOSS said:
How are Drew and Derek doing?

The kit would be nice but I'm not sure we'd even see it this year.

Derek's Boss is misfiring a bit. Tried diagnosing with IDS, but :shrug:

Drew did third in race yesterday. Corvettes were dang quick. Today is another day

I know Ford Parts makes a bolt on scoop for the trans on some Mustangs, wonder if that would help for now ...if one fits a GT350?

voodoo child21 said:
I saw similar temps on my MT-82 2 years ago, That is why I put a cooler setup on it.
Steve
Wow. What were the results after the cooler install Steve? Is the cooler size in the Track Pack and R similar to yours? You have a pretty nice setup. No wonder we were grenading MT-82s so regularly.

SCGT500 said:
I know Ford Parts makes a bolt on scoop for the trans on some Mustangs, wonder if that would help for now ...if one fits a GT350?
We checked on that in one of the Ford Performance threads and it's not a direct bolt on. It can probably be made to fit but you might be cutting up some of the aero pieces under the car which I don't recommend.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Wow. What were the results after the cooler install Steve? Is the cooler size in the Track Pack and R similar to yours? You have a pretty nice setup. No wonder we were grenading MT-82s so regularly.

I see temps at the end of sessions around 200-205 with cooler pump running. I used the old FRRP FR 500C power steering cooler which mounts in the lower opening in front of the radiator, the fabricated AN lines + added a tilton pump where the battery used to be. Works pretty well, not as elegant as having a pump built into the trans, hopefully the Ford Performance kit for S550s gets made, tired of having to fabricate.
Steve

mattlqx

Mustangless
Heads up, I took my cats off and next weekend I'll run Saturday at Wild Horse Pass with NASA. We'll see if not having the collector right next to the transmission has any effect on running temperatures. I'm skeptical on the overall benefit. It seems like instead of heating up at one point next to the tranny, it's going to heat up the entire way down the line. I guess it might have more dissipating effect though. I also managed to burn my leg a little getting under it checking for leaks while it was on for no more than 30 seconds. Srs bsnss.

mattlqx

Mustangless
Cats off basically didn't do much. Roughly the same run times, still couldn't complete any of the 4 sessions.

I put together a video of the first session that includes few laps of "normal" and a few laps of "limp".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNwJboL79Bw

TMO Supporting Vendors