The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 The Albuquerque Stripper - Mustang Nosegrind 720 Kickflip Champion Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
Really sorry to hear about the second trans. It’s just really hard to stomach $7-10k and add 75+lbs with a magnum xl.
At some point you have to ask yourself is it worth it to deal with the lame Getrag MT82 or switch to something proven. There is a reason why GT350 and Mach 1 run Tremac and to be fair it's cheaper to switch to TR-3160 than to Magnum XL. Hope Ford Performance will add a TR-3160 kit to the performance catalog. It's virtually not that big a deal than the Magnum XL and is lighter. For N/A power cars should be just as good as the Magnum and FI racing Mustangs run different trans anyway.
But yeah the MT82 is a cheap trans that is not suitable for that car and a source of constant greave for it's owners.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
There's some upgraded stuff for the MT82 that might help. Like Syncrotech's carbon syncros, better bearings, gears and such. I went that route. Going Tremec was going to be $9K hit in looney bucks. That's a tough sell for a track day car. Two grand in Cdn tiny bucks for a rebuild with Syncrotech parts every couple of years seems a lot more palatable, especially given the reality that a Tremec also is going to need rebuilds every now and then. Also a trans cooler was installed and I fully expect that to make a difference as well.

Makes the "there's no free lunch" thing true again.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Really sorry to hear about the second trans. It’s just really hard to stomach $7-10k and add 75+lbs with a magnum xl.
It is very hard, almost prohibitively hard.

At some point you have to ask yourself is it worth it to deal with the lame Getrag MT82 or switch to something proven.
Yeah, figure I'd give it a shot. Not saying that every road racer has to register here, but I don't believe there are too many 18+'s who are putting the MT82-D4 through the heavy duty, and I know there are some who are putting double my power through it, so I'm going to guess that it's the higher RPM. There is a chance that I just got a shiznit build, because the 2 TSB's were weak 2nd gear, 3-4 shift fork, and then 1-2 shift fork, and the remanufacturer claimed that they applied all TSB that were active at the time they rebuilt it, so there's a possibility that it was sitting on the shelf for a few years, after something blew up, but before the TSB was announced. Wish I had a bigger operation to figure this stuff out, but maybe next lifetime. Here's hoping somebody with big dreams and bigger wallets sees this and decides against the MT82-D4.

There's some upgraded stuff for the MT82 that might help. Like Syncrotech's carbon syncros, better bearings, gears and such. I went that route. Going Tremec was going to be $9K hit in looney bucks. That's a tough sell for a track day car. Two grand in Cdn tiny bucks for a rebuild with Syncrotech parts every couple of years seems a lot more palatable, especially given the reality that a Tremec also is going to need rebuilds every now and then. Also a trans cooler was installed and I fully expect that to make a difference as well.
There are a bunch of people selling treated gears in the Los Angeles area that I had in mind for the first one, so I'm going to be giving them a call over this week sometime. I'll definitely have to get a trans cooler, w2w over the summer months is going to blow things up, like, more than it already will.

Doing some research, I'm wondering how much Plasma I can sell for a Jerico. Perhaps I'm reading things wrong, but do they have close to zero driveline loss? I'll take a slight penalty with NASA, but if the driveline loss goes from say 10% to 1%, then my rwhp increases and I don't have to push the engine any further, plus clutchless fun and potential better road-racing friendly gear ratio choices.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
It is very hard, almost prohibitively hard.

Yeah, figure I'd give it a shot. Not saying that every road racer has to register here, but I don't believe there are too many 18+'s who are putting the MT82-D4 through the heavy duty, and I know there are some who are putting double my power through it, so I'm going to guess that it's the higher RPM. There is a chance that I just got a shiznit build, because the 2 TSB's were weak 2nd gear, 3-4 shift fork, and then 1-2 shift fork, and the remanufacturer claimed that they applied all TSB that were active at the time they rebuilt it, so there's a possibility that it was sitting on the shelf for a few years, after something blew up, but before the TSB was announced. Wish I had a bigger operation to figure this stuff out, but maybe next lifetime. Here's hoping somebody with big dreams and bigger wallets sees this and decides against the MT82-D4.

There are a bunch of people selling treated gears in the Los Angeles area that I had in mind for the first one, so I'm going to be giving them a call over this week sometime. I'll definitely have to get a trans cooler, w2w over the summer months is going to blow things up, like, more than it already will.

Doing some research, I'm wondering how much Plasma I can sell for a Jerico. Perhaps I'm reading things wrong, but do they have close to zero driveline loss? I'll take a slight penalty with NASA, but if the driveline loss goes from say 10% to 1%, then my rwhp increases and I don't have to push the engine any further, plus clutchless fun and potential better road-racing friendly gear ratio choices.
I wasn't looking for a new transmission at all but then I looked into Jerico like you mentioned......now I want one. Thanks Patrick

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
You think anything with the new shifter has to do with the trans issues? Did the fork break again? Are there stops on that shifter that maybe arent at the right spot causing to push past the stop hence causing the breakage? Just seems odd this is now what 2nd event in a row since getting new shifter this has happened?
Looking at a picture on page 17 of the thread where I've got the stock and the MGW, there don't appear to be any. They do go into great detail about setting the reverse lockout mechanism, but they don't appear to have those screws like they did with the T45 or T56 ones that I had. Didn't break the fork, now that I was thinking like that, first gear no problem that I'm aware of, 3rd and 4th just fine. I like to think of myself as some semi-intelligent guy, but yeah, I got no idea why, other than once again I got my shiznit luck. But I can't discount that shifter entirely either. Beat the piss out of the 1st transmission for what, 1.5 years, and caught just a bad reman?

I dunno, I've got 6 weeks until the next event, perhaps I'll bother some of you LA/OC/IE cats, bring my ol' tranny up there and get down n' dirty.

giphy.gif

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
giphy.gif

Talking about things that I don't like, but having to accept -- being stuck behind cars with 20% more power and 10% less weight. I didn't see many opportunities to stick my nose in, other than perhaps the T1, but he's either a dick, or painfully unaware of his surroundings, both of which would end up painting me as the bad guy and going on my race report.

So you may notice those cracks in the windshield, yeah, it's from these guys. I was stuck behind a same powered guy with 1000# less last year, and now it's this guy with 20% more power. With NASA TT Rules, first green lap is no passing, so I guess the trick is to get to the qualifying session first, and then make everybody else have to pass you up, no matter what. I've been getting shiznit grid spots of late, and spend my weekend working up the field, bit by bit. The annoying thing is those coasts and lifts had me 20-30mph down / 2-4 seconds behind my usual pace, and missing 2nd by less than 2 seconds kinda pissed me off. This guy in TT1 won his class by 10+ seconds so it's not like it'd cost him anything to let me by while my tires and brakes are still there. I dunno, perhaps it's time to toss on a Sneaky Pete.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
He was definitely killing your momentum through 8 and especially 9 where exit speed is important. Or you could just get more power🤭

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
He was definitely killing your momentum through 8 and especially 9 where exit speed is important. Or you could just get more power🤭
Yeah, it's crossing my mind, but with ST2 on the radar for this year, I'm going to have to cut some of it down along with the weight. 2800# Audis and 3000# Porsche Cups are going to be challenging on the smaller and tighter courses. I generally do pretty good with turn speeds, but similar to WSIR, Chuck and BW don't give me too many straightaways to roar.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Always have the ice hard pedal no brake so something with ABS...
Heard good things about cobalt :)
Alessandro
We should trade, mine always goes down to the floor, my overbraking is simply because I don't want to die -- having a super firm pedal has been exactly what I've wanted for 2+ years now. Run a forscan and see what comes back, for me, I recently changed my front wheel speed sensors which seemed to help somewhat. Now that they work, I was also looking and referencing them against my speedo which I had just calibrated to the 25.4" tires and 3.73 gears.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
I dunno, I've got 6 weeks until the next event, perhaps I'll bother some of you LA/OC/IE cats, bring my ol' tranny up there and get down n' dirty.
I have an alarming lack of smashed and bleeding appendages so I'm happy to help pay the blood tribute these cars need to run.

It was great watching you run out there. At any given point, we can hear your car over the rest of the field and there's just something awesome about that. Hopefully next time the Corvettes learn to get the hell out of the way.

Last edited:

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Hopefully next time the Corvette's learn to get the hell out of the way.
I think next time, I get to grid first, and then find some bearded cheerleader to let his air out so he starts from the back for once :D

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Los Angeles
I think next time, I get to grid first, and then find some bearded cheerleader to let his air out so he starts from the back for once :D
You TT guys are wayyyyy too nice to each other!!! I would have never got out of your way either, you need to get on his bumper and make it a point. Or stick it under him in the 8-9 chute, that's what I would have done.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
You TT guys are wayyyyy too nice to each other!!! I would have never got out of your way either, you need to get on his bumper and make it a point. Or stick it under him in the 8-9 chute, that's what I would have done.
Totally valid point, I'm definitely being too cautious, assuming that they're not comfortable with w2w car closeness -- I was certainly eyeing that clumsy line in 9 showing plenty of promise.

To his defense, he was wearing what looked to be a clean pair of New Balance to compliment his jorts. I'll get him next time at ACS though, as I've hopefully gained at least 1/4 sec since last year, and even if not, the torsen should help my exit speed on the long double apex turns.

1645206760639.png

I will be carrying a little bit more weight with the fire system, figure this'd be the place to break into ST. Going by last year's results, they were doing mid 1:45's, so a little tailgating might help show me where I've been missing out, although I don't believe I've seen them show up yet. I'm not doing any extreme TT setup stuff, and mindful of my power/weight, keeping it down so that I'm still good to run a race on something like an R7, just running an A052 because I can keep a halfway decent time and get close to double the life out of a set of A7's.

I had Instagram teased the Cartek XP, which is so, so much smaller than I had even fathomed it to be, this thing is friggin' tiny.

20220214_191958.jpg

Not sure how the safety crews are going to find these buttons when I flip this beast, but that sounds a whole lot like a them problem.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Ugh, I really need to stop assuming, or at least do deeper research. Intake swaps should be easy, right? Well, that depends.

I mean, it's not the end of the world, and as they have the GT350 intake on the Bullitt and Mach1, it's not like it's impossible, especially if it's being done by the factory.

20220305_154040.jpg
So here's the Bullitt/Mach1 intake with matching TB, which is digital. Yes, I'm keenly aware that it's the GT350 intake manifold, however its matching TB for 15-17 Coyotes was analog, you'll have fun tuning that if you're 18+/Gen3.

20220305_154045.jpg
Here's my stock 18+ intake manifold and TB. Interesting that they flipped the colors of the TB blades and where the TB screws into the intake.

20220305_154054.jpg
Side by side, only a couple of minor changes, you can see that the GT350 on the right is slightly shallower when it's bolted up to the heads, and the neck angle changes slightly, with the GT350 flatter.

20220307_120418.jpg20220307_120412.jpg20220307_120429.jpg
I knew the evap was going to be slightly different, no biggie, I'll have to grab a 15-17 to go right in here. The 18 is the far right one, fused on.

20220307_120515.jpg20220307_120453.jpg
... but dangit, this one made me feel like a big dumb, this is what happens when you assume. Gen1 11-14 don't have any IMRC/CMCV. I know the Gen2 guys can go straight into the GT350, and from a bang/buck go with the Gen3 18+, and remove the IMRC/CMCV, locking the plates open, and disabling it in their tune. Well, big f-up here, I assumed that since the Bullitt and Mach1 were 18+ they'd have the same config setup, but that does not appear to be the case. I'm trying to figure out if I should just play with the vacuum lines and have them going through just that one like how the 18+ is routed, because if I have to run another whole engine harness just for that extra plug, all this added expense starts looking like a big waste of time and money. My initial goal was to take advantage of the better breathing up top, extend my revs another 500-750, and perhaps 30-40hp with the bigger 87mm TB and a 115-120mm CAI sucking a bunch of air.

The 15-17 have a PP3 (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9452-M8) with pretty much this same kit, 18+ have a similar kit (https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M8B), except it's just the larger TB, an 87-80 adapter, and the GT350 CAI. I'm going to assume that the majority of the stated power is probably from the tune on a stock car, which I've pretty much already got. I dunno, NASA changing the whole tire game certainly puts some of us in a strange spot, I was just trying to squeeze some more and maximize the power/weight on something like A7/R7 at a 3600#, but with now that the Torsen added something like 40# to the rear, perhaps I add some more weight on with trans, diff, and additional engine cooling and fluids, and that higher weight means I get a slightly higher power ceiling to grab something like cams instead.

The tuner I've been working with being 1-2 week responses after I respond back to his nearly immediately also de-prioritizes my want to do this intake, since I'd be dependent upon him to eek that little extra out, thankfully money hasn't changed hands yet, as he has yet to respond to my e-mail asking him how he wants it. Perhaps an opportunity for another tuner who can respond ... y'know within a week. So far, I've had 3 tuners, and every single one of them was just godawful terrible at getting back, and that all of the ones held in high regard have their name immediately followed up with some mention of them being an asshole. I do data stuff for a living, perhaps it's time I give it a go.

I dunno, what'd you do if you were in my shoes, fuckface?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Did you consider e-tune from Palm Beach Dyno (Fla)?

I've heard only good things about them and their ability to tune that manifold.

PaddyPrix

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
Did you consider e-tune from Palm Beach Dyno (Fla)?

I've heard only good things about them and their ability to tune that manifold.
They refuse to work with California, despite me offering to sign something or show my race license. I understand the CARB stuff. They also refuse SCT on the 18+ over drivability concerns, but will do 15-17 no problem. If I wanted to switch to HP Tuners RTD, I'd have to ship the device out of state, and go through all these silly hoops, and regardless of how good they may be, that's to much of a hurdle for me, plus the time difference makes things like remote tuning and support more of a challenge. By no means am I trying to bad mouth them, I just perceive too much effort for too little reward, and they don't want legal threats if I turn out to be weenie who rats on people because I did some donuts at a cars and coffee.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
Gotcha....that's a nightmare.

Mine's a '16 and definitely not a Cali car.....

Contact Mike Kojima (MotoIQ) - he'll prolly have an idea.

TMO Supporting Vendors