The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

S550 The Albuquerque Stripper Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

PaddyPrix

TMO Advanced
San Diego
Back from 3 days at Buttonwillow, lots of track time, high temperatures, part failures, and escaped without any major incidents, which was nice.
IMG_20200724_081108.jpg
Went up Thursday night because it's a 5 or so hour drive with a fuel and food stop along the way, and tried to start things off fresh and rested. It was real nice having the track to mostly myself, allowing me to really feel the grip and try some various approaches but given the price tag, I wonder if I'd do it again. As they didn't have any timing running, I was having to rely on Track Addict, which in my pants, somehow was useless on half the time, either swept over to segment mode, or the GPS detection of the start/finish was off. The GoPro Hero 8 Black is in some sort of funk, as it says the GPS is on, but both Quik and Race Render are acting all silly, so nothing super helpful there. Yet. Had some real terrible time handling some sections, and a really strange near miss that had done more than throw me for a loop.

IMG_20200729_164110_441.jpg

Went over to 7's Only and hung out with Tom and of all the crazy sizes they have for jamb nuts, just my luck, they didn't have any of the 7/16 right handed ones that I've donated to the track. The heat certainly stays on the track, with most days being 103-105 past track close, hard to really get some good times, especially as the Nitto NT01's were getting down to the last 2/32" dimple.
IMG_20200728_103144.jpg
Saturday had me sitting somewhat consistent at 2 flat, and as the heat increased and day went on, I was slipping another half second or so, but started playing with the MCS 2-way compression and think I've got it where I want it. Most people felt like they were 3-5 seconds off their usual pace, which felt about right. TMO had a good showing out there, got to put some faces to names, and with most of us in the Red and Black groups, had some fun lead/follow sessions.
Red Group - Sweeper (Session 1) - BW3_4825_11_Jul2520_CaliPhoto.jpg
Not sure how much longer the cheap Chinese MP Concepts front bumper has in it. The lower grille has fallen off somewhere, the top grille barely connects, and now the side clips are wearing thin. I guess you get what you pay for, but shame that the GT350 and GT500 both have the 15-17 hood, fender, and fascia design. Since I'm going to start blocking things off and working on aero, I guess I might as well make the switch.

Hopefully San Bern doesn't get in the way of Auto Club in a few weeks, because it's been far too long for some of us, and on a power track like that, can't wait to see what this thing can hit. In the ol' 19, I'd hit 7/8 at 115-120 and 145 in the straight, I'll definitely put some more on the straight, but don't know if I have enough balls or pants to take 7/8 much too much faster than that.

Last edited:

gut

TMO Beginner
San Diego
HPDE
Under 3 Years
Catching up on quite a bit and WOW just WOW Paddy. I want to grow younger and be you when I de-age. Awesome stuff. Hopefully get my pile back up and running soon. Will definitely try to catch an event or two or three with you.

PaddyPrix

TMO Advanced
San Diego
😏 just saw all the "tags" you set for this thread @PaddyPrix ... 😆 Nice.
A long time ago, I made a good amount of moneys because I could always SEO higher than the people who made the product. I'd bet not touching it for a decade I'm still #1 in Google on plenty of Mustang parts.

1596128739785.png

It'd seem that you and I need to talk about the commission/revenue sharing structure here man.

PaddyPrix

TMO Advanced
San Diego
Catching up on quite a bit and WOW just WOW Paddy. I want to grow younger and be you when I de-age. Awesome stuff. Hopefully get my pile back up and running soon. Will definitely try to catch an event or two or three with you.
For sure man, I'll be out there, trying my hardest to make up for what seems to be a decade of track time that I've lost. Sold my beloved 98 Cobra a few weeks ago, so many memories both good and bad just thinking about it... and as much as I'd love to execute on the dreams I had for it, it just didn't make sense anymore; The Stripper is easily 10x the car and 85% there.

Speaking of that, made a few front-end SPL purchases through one of our site sponsors yesterday, with some front lower control arms and tension rods to lighten up some of the load, get my geometry spot on, and perhaps get a few more degrees of camber. In speaking with Jason, it'd seem that either I have a factory freak, and not in a good way. So as I sit, I'm about negative 2.7 camber in the front, 7.5 degrees caster, and a 1/8 toe out in the front. Looking at the Vorshlag plate for the driver side, the MCS strut hat is dead center, with the strut eyelets having that hub pushed out as far as they go, and a set of 25 and 7mm spacers to clear the 18x11's. Same setup on the passenger side (duh), except the strut nub is slammed to the inside edge. In fact, so far that it's made a slight groove in the metal, and popped the MCS adjustment knob off. We all know that Quality is Job #1 (duh) but it'd seem that on the s550 Mustangs, the subframes weren't always bolted up spot on. According to him, it was something that'd happen frequently, but not as badly, and as the run went on further, the likelihood of it decreased, but the severity increased. 🙄

Since I've got perhaps a trackday left in these, might as well make the switch to scrub slicks for cheaper fun, but boy howdy, those 305/680/18 slicks are wider than the 315's currently on it. SoCal track days right now are all triple digits, why would I spend 1200 on a set when I can run a set of scrub slicks for 500?

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Rocklin, CA
HPDE
5-10 Years
A long time ago, I made a good amount of moneys because I could always SEO higher than the people who made the product. I'd bet not touching it for a decade I'm still #1 in Google on plenty of Mustang parts.

View attachment 57022

It'd seem that you and I need to talk about the commission/revenue sharing structure here man.
Ahhh, the good old days of SEO hacking - I spent quite a bit of time working on that myself. I miss those times. Now if only there were a good way to monetize "great grandparent taxidermy" here on the site LOL!

PaddyPrix

TMO Advanced
San Diego
Awh man, the Autosport Labs Race Capture Pro is so dang cool.

http://instagr.am/p/CDSpiIxFJLj/
So far, just pulling the default OBD values and will have to go through some CAN resources to get the rest, but the data analytics and data science nerd in me ... awh man.

giphy.gif

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel