The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Electric Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Some insight on the development of the new EV crossover and vehicle name.......

Ford Mustang Mach-E Was Almost A Boring, Front-Drive ‘Compliance Car’
https://www.motor1.com/news/382783/ford-mustang-mach-e-boring-front-drive-compliance-car/

"Enter new CEO Jim Hackett, who two years ago told designers to start over. The new goal was to pen a vehicle that stripped away the “greenness” of the original design and didn’t wear its electric powertrain on the proverbial sleeve. The design team was told to play to Ford’s strengths, and aside from maybe the F-150, there’s no stronger Ford product, nor is there one with such an acclaimed history, as the Mustang."

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wearing my Nomex Driving Suit , so ready to be flamed. I consider myself a student of History and I often marvel how we fail to see when it begins to repeat itself in various forms throughout our lives. To that end I also see how often I fail to recognize a trend or a calculated move that has it's rationale behind situations that few appreciated at one time, but that went forward with great success. Again I am referring to the move by Porsche to get into the SUV market and I was at the front of the protest stating what a stupid idea it was and it would tarnish and maybe even cause the collapse of the Porsche marquee. Whoops and not only was I wrong, I was severely wrong , as the various moves into new markets for Porsche ( SUV , Hybrids and now EV ) has just catapulted them into a broader realm of profitability.

With this in mind and knowing that many folks have a similar desire in their lives for a Mustang, but large families, living in a severe snow belt , or other reasons cloud their judgement enough that they can not find a way to enable that desire. Now they can step forward and state they have a Mustang ( we see it as our own personal Icon, but it is more than that to many, it is truly an object of desire) and meet practicality with their wants. The positives are it should enable the Mustang to live well into the future ( yes, like the 911 ) along with a stable of Mustang derived machines , and as noted already , likely to also carry over with performance variants. While many see the watering down of an automobile that has as storied a legacy as the VW Beetle, the Model T, the 911, I elect to see a positive way to continue a special machine that the consumer is trending away from, to a degree. I will repeat that I optimistically think if Ford would take it one more step they would form a completely new line in the coming years along side Ford and Lincoln with Mustang branded Dealerships. This would ensure Performance, Technical achievement and advancement, as well as keeping the Mustang we love viable and extending it's life well into the future. We have all heard the constant rumors that the Camaro is dead , and some fear that the Mustang could follow, yet that , at present has little common sense since the Mustang is the most popular 2 dr sports coupe in the World. Listening to my friends in other Countries , the Mustang is held with immense respect and is on many Gearheads ultimate wish list......the sales in Europe and Australia alone show its automotive pull.

So,in conclusion, I think this is a strong marketing ploy, and I hope it leads to more and helps the life of the Mustang for future generations. It worked for Porsche and since they are the most successful sports car company in the World , following that example doesn't seem so bad.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Wearing my Nomex Driving Suit , so ready to be flamed. I consider myself a student of History and I often marvel how we fail to see when it begins to repeat itself in various forms throughout our lives. To that end I also see how often I fail to recognize a trend or a calculated move that has it's rationale behind situations that few appreciated at one time, but that went forward with great success. Again I am referring to the move by Porsche to get into the SUV market and I was at the front of the protest stating what a stupid idea it was and it would tarnish and maybe even cause the collapse of the Porsche marquee. Whoops and not only was I wrong, I was severely wrong , as the various moves into new markets for Porsche ( SUV , Hybrids and now EV ) has just catapulted them into a broader realm of profitability.
There's a huge difference here. Porsche did not raid their iconic sports car names for any of those new vehicles for new markets. They stepped into brand-new waters with brand-new names. You'll never be faced with confusion or argument over what a 911 or a Boxster is. Images created by the name Cayman will never be diluted by utilitarianism. The only way Ford will be able to say the same will be if they do the same sort of about-face that they did for the Probe**.

I get that mfrs have to diversify these days, but "special machines" need to keep their "special-ness", and that includes their names.

** For the record, in 1995 we bought a car built on the Probe platform. Kept it over 19 years. As good as it was, it still wasn't a Mustang.

Norm

Last edited:
Interesting how they evolved.

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 2.57.52 PM.png

With this in mind and knowing that many folks have a similar desire in their lives for a Mustang, but large families, living in a severe snow belt , or other reasons cloud their judgement enough that they can not find a way to enable that desire. Now they can step forward and state they have a Mustang ( we see it as our own personal Icon, but it is more than that to many, it is truly an object of desire) and meet practicality with their wants. The positives are it should enable the Mustang to live well into the future ( yes, like the 911 ) along with a stable of Mustang derived machines , and as noted already , likely to also carry over with performance variants. While many see the watering down of an automobile that has as storied a legacy as the VW Beetle, the Model T, the 911, I elect to see a positive way to continue a special machine that the consumer is trending away from, to a degree. I will repeat that I optimistically think if Ford would take it one more step they would form a completely new line in the coming years along side Ford and Lincoln with Mustang branded Dealerships. This would ensure Performance, Technical achievement and advancement, as well as keeping the Mustang we love viable and extending it's life well into the future. We have all heard the constant rumors that the Camaro is dead , and some fear that the Mustang could follow, yet that , at present has little common sense since the Mustang is the most popular 2 dr sports coupe in the World. Listening to my friends in other Countries , the Mustang is held with immense respect and is on many Gearheads ultimate wish list......the sales in Europe and Australia alone show its automotive pull.

So,in conclusion, I think this is a strong marketing ploy, and I hope it leads to more and helps the life of the Mustang for future generations. It worked for Porsche and since they are the most successful sports car company in the World , following that example doesn't seem so bad.
Well stated, you're pretty sharp for an old guy. ;)

You can say that Porsche didn't dilute their 911 brand but at the time the Cayenne SUV came out the Porsche loyalist did have the same complaint, including me. Why? Basically everyone equated the name Porsche with the 911. They also said the same thing about the 914 and 924. Now I want a Cayenne Turbo in my garage, but I'll wait until either Porsche, Ford or some other brand makes an EV SUV that meets both my practicality and performance criteria. Here's to hoping the Mach-E meets that criteria.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Same here Tracy. This one would be my first EV. Yet I am trying to talk my lovely Wench into looking at one of these Mock Es.

I am hoping to see the electric 6 speed they took to SEMA. That would be cool to check out.

Most of us can see and recognize any Mustang a mile away. Regarding his Mock E, I'd have to be sitting in it and see the badging to know what it is.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I am hoping to see the electric 6 speed they took to SEMA. That would be cool to check out.
Have to say I've wondered why it seems EVs have gone out of their way to avoid using more than one forward gear. Porsche's Taycan may be the beginning of change at the production level here.

An electric 6 spd might not float your boat...too quiet, I would think....nothing like a V-8 going thru the gears!!!
This. Though I think the character of the sound is at least as important as its volume. Within the ICE world, there's plenty of variety here, with not all examples being met with universal appreciation. X-pipe vs H-pipe, sixxer vs V8, crossplane vs flat-plane, inline 4 vs horizontally opposed 4 . . .

Funny thing is, I'm fine with an electric motor's whine and no shifting on an indoor go-kart track (finally got out to one about a week ago). Might even be OK with it at autocross, where I've rarely needed to make more than the one upshift into 2nd (admittedly, gear spacing does have a lot to do with this).

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors