The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Ford Maverick will soon be a Compact Pickup Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Once again their choice of names is a bit strange, but is anyone else excited about the idea of compact trucks making a comeback? Of course, the industry's idea of "compact" these days isn't what it used to be, hell, the midsize trucks out there today look like full size trucks of the past. Regardless, seeing Ford put out a small pickup truck is cool. I hope it does well.

Update: Looks like the base Ford Maverick will be a FWD 4-cylinder hybrid built on the Bronco Sport unibody that will get 40 MPG city and go 500 miles on a single tank, for a starting price of $20k. There will also be a more powerful non-hybrid Ecoboost 4-cylinder version with an optional towing package that ups the towing capacity from 2k to 4k lbs for a bit more coin. AWD is said to be an option only on the Ecoboost model. A fully loaded Maverick will run up in the mid $30k range. It will compete directly with the Honda Ridgeline and Hyundai Santa Cruz.

2022 Ford Maverick Pickup Truck

Judging by this video, it doesn't appear to be very "compact":

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Interesting choice.

Has ford gone and ruined the name Maverick for us now also??? (Sarcasm):banghead:

If asked, I would have suggested F-1. Nostalgic and smaller than the F-150 so fitting.

So, why didn't Ford simply ask me?? Their loss. :cool:

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Interesting choice.

Has ford gone and ruined the name Maverick for us now also??? (Sarcasm):banghead:

If asked, I would have suggested F-1. Nostalgic and smaller than the F-150 so fitting.

So, why didn't Ford simply ask me?? Their loss. :cool:
Hell, why not revive the Courier name for the US? They had been using it in Europe for a while but not here. Just another head scratcher move on their part.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Revive the Ford Durango name, especially with the unibody construction, or does Dodge have exclusive use of that name now? Don't know about the Maverick name - does it feel the need for speed? Does it like to buzz the tower?

Seriously, not sure there's enough differentiation between this and the Ranger to really matter. Unless the unibody construction gives a completely different driving feel, then maybe you'll attract the crossover crowd instead of pickup shoppers.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
So it will be a 4 cylinder built on the Bronco Sport unibody, will have a base hybrid version that will get 40 MPG city and go 500 miles on a single tank, for a starting price of $20k. There will also be a non-hybrid Ecoboost 4 cylinder version with an optional towing package that ups the towing capacity from 2k to 4k lbs for a bit more coin. AWD is also an option. Fully loaded it will push the price tag to the mid $30k range.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I like it. It's cute but not for me. IMHO people who'll want one of these orders a half samitch. Who the hell eats a half samitch?

And if I recall, the Maverick name for their 70-77 car was not quite a crowd pleaser.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I like it. It's cute but not for me. IMHO people who'll want one of these orders a half samitch. Who the hell eats a half samitch?

And if I recall, the Maverick name for their 70-77 car was not quite a crowd pleaser.
It will probably appeal to those considering the Honda Ridgeline and Hyundai Santa Cruz. Some basic truck capabilities that feels mostly like a car.

I talked to some folks years ago when it became apparent that my wife's Ranger was on it's last legs. One of the reasons Ford had issues killing off the original Ranger was that it was still selling so well. They gave it CPR for years to meet the federal safety standards until it could go no more. In the meantime we put the wife's Ranger on life support because she just loved a "small" truck. finally , we had no choice, she's used to the new Ranger but she still misses the small version from time to time, especially bed height.
In any case, we had heard about this truck years ago, Ford needs a small truck the old Ranger size.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I talked to some folks years ago when it became apparent that my wife's Ranger was on it's last legs. One of the reasons Ford had issues killing off the original Ranger was that it was still selling so well. They gave it CPR for years to meet the federal safety standards until it could go no more. In the meantime we put the wife's Ranger on life support because she just loved a "small" truck. finally , we had no choice, she's used to the new Ranger but she still misses the small version from time to time, especially bed height.
In any case, we had heard about this truck years ago, Ford needs a small truck the old Ranger size.
Something similar to a 2-door Subaru Baja would be a great size.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The issue is also related to younger buyers , in my estimation, because many want or need a truck but with the average price of a new standard size around 60K , it is way beyond their budget. The Ranger is not inexpensive and the Maverick could meet the demand by the younger buyer to get into a truck. One has to only look at the dynamics or the growing small SUV/Crossover market and one has all the marketing ammo needed that a mini truck is likely poised for plenty of buyers.After all, the American buyer wants a truck in their driveway more than any other vehicle.

The issue is also related to younger buyers , in my estimation, because many want or need a truck but with the average price of a new standard size around 60K , it is way beyond their budget. The Ranger is not inexpensive and the Maverick could meet the demand by the younger buyer to get into a truck. One has to only look at the dynamics or the growing small SUV/Crossover market and one has all the marketing ammo needed that a mini truck is likely poised for plenty of buyers.After all, the American buyer wants a truck in their driveway more than any other vehicle.

I agree completely, my nephew is completing college, he coaches soccer in several leagues. He had a (I don't know, some foreign turdhopper) vehicle. He drove my F150. When his dad needed a car, he gave his dad the turdhopper and bought an ecoboost F150, which he loves. Kids love small trucks, but no one make them any more.
Part of the issue, and why I hate the government, is that small trucks were inexpensive because they snuck under a lot of emissions and crash tests, once they became popular, the feds dropped the other shoe requiring them to meet more stringent regulations, driving up the prices substantially. There's pretty much no way to build a small truck anymore. when I was in Jamaica (some day I'll tell you that story) they had tons of these little Toyota, Nissan 4 door diesel trucks with little 4-1/2 foot beds that work crews ran around in, they were great, but again, can't be sold in the US. A lot of people would eat those things up, especially kids .
I kind of see another US auto industry purge coming like in the mid 70s where the US manufacturers could barely keep up and were forced out of the market (thanks Clean Air Act).
Right now there are plenty of little Daihatsus, and other little turdhoppers over in Japan that meet their restrictive emissions standards, right now, they don't meet US crash standards, when they do, we can kiss that market goodbye as well

1623180567016.png .

1623180598277.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel