The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The Ford Maverick will soon be a Compact Pickup Truck

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No argument on the benefits of Diesels, I had three in the past and they make pulling easy , but I have really enjoyed my Ram W1500 CrewCab as I get 8-11mpg pulling my 26 footer and regular is so much cheaper than diesel. The diesel advantage with a 28 ft enclosed trailer or above is probably the only way to go. I was just letting some folks know that many of the current gas models are stronger pullers than those 4-7 years ago. I think doing one's homework on trailer towing capabilities is key, but a Ranger pulling a Mustang on an open trailer is a likely compromise for many trying to keep costs down?

Going from friend's experiences ,you are very correct on the earlier Ecoboosts , but both the it and the 5.0 have seen significant improvements in the past years. The 5.0 is proving, year after year, to be a Blue Oval Star, running 400 HP and over 400 foot lbs of torque, basically equal to it's competitors with bigger V8s.

With the distances you yank your trailer around I would agree your Diesel is the way to go, just trying to give folks some options and suggest they look up the new capabilities.

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
IMHO......I will always pick a 2500 first. I could live with a 1500 ( if there was no 2500's left on planet earth ) , but no way would I choose anything lighter than that for towing a car hauler.

bossontrailer.jpg

I'm not a fan. I understand they have to play to the available market so it is what it is. Honda Ridgeline has transmission overheating issues so if Ford can overcome that they have a chance to take some of that market.

I'm not a fan of the new electric F-150 either. Mach E is cool, although I put a circuit in a guys house the other day (240v) so he could charge faster, its still only 20 MPH on 240v circuit. Couldn't imagine taking it on a long trip.

As much as I love my 99 F250 CC 4x4 Powerstroke with the six speed manual, I'd get a gas engine if I bought a new one. The cost difference with the diesels buys a LOT of gas. But, I've had her since new and recently rolled over 300,000 miles and she still runs great.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
I would recommend you rent a F250 gas burner and tow with it prior to making that purchase. I have and it completely sucked. I spent almost twice as much money on gas as I had previous diesel rentals. The slightest change in grade caused the gas burner to drop 2 to 3, and sometimes 4 gears (10 speed) to traverse the hill...small hills. My 2015 F250 6.7L (6 speed) rarely drops gears unless on a steep incline. I fully understand staying in the optimal rpm/powerband, but the 7.3L gas burner was continually chasing gears and just doesn't have the torque like the 6.7L diesel.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I pull a RV trailer with my F150. Trailer ways approx 8500 lbs loaded. 2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost 10spd 6.5' box Max Tow XLT. When I bought the truck my only intention was to trailer the Mustang. Then we bought the trailer. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this truck pulls the trailer. Trailer is 30ft long hitch to bumper, the body is 25ft. I have pulled in mountains and stiff winds and the truck pulls fine. The only thing I miss is not having an exhaust brake for coming down the mountain passes. Mileage is all over the place, 6-10 mpg. The thing that surprised me the most was how well the truck pulls the trailer. I picked up the trailer in St George Utah and took the back roads over the mountains to Flagstaff AZ. The first pass I did was getting around a semi. I waited for a long straight stretch of clear road and then I pulled out and floored it. I surprised how quickly I got around the truck. The performance at altitude was one of the reasons I went with the turbo's over the 5.0. The mileage is good for the daily use and I knew it would suck the fuel when towing.

Hair down to my neck is starting to bother me...I haven't had hair this long since the 70's...that's another story all together!!!....Hon gave me my last cut in Sept 20, so I'm long overdo.....Woodstock's not coming back...I was too young for the first one..LOL.............

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel