The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Tick built Magnum XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
I’m in the process of putting together a magnum xl swap for my gen 1 coyote and I’ve seen some threads recommending upgrading the stock magnum for high rpm shifts and track use. I came across the Tick built magnum xl and was looking into the stage 4 with billet forks.(recommended by the rep)

I saw someone in another thread mention swapping out the 3rd gear for a symmetrical gear opposed to the advanced gear that comes stock for better high rpm shifts. When I told the rep about it, he said they’ve seen them shifted at up to 8500rpm with their build and they haven’t ever swapped the 3rd gear.
My question is, are the billet forks and/or symmetrical gear that much of an improvement?
Does anyone have other recommended builders that I should be looking at?

I realize I might be fine with the stock unit but I’ve saved for awhile for this swap and I’d rather over build it and only have to do it once vs getting the stock unit and wishing I built it.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The synchros and the plastic shift pads are the lowest hanging fruit for high rpm shifting. I haven’t heard of shift forks failing in road race cars - maybe more of a quarter mile thing? But the shift pads should definitely be upgraded to bronze.

I’ve used the Tremec all-carbon synchros on 3 & 4, and have since switched to the Synchrotech all-carbon synchros on 1-6 & R. It’s never shifted better.

As far as the 3rd Gear swap; when my original box glazed the synchros and started gear clashing on 4-3 downshifts, the engagement teeth on 3rd were damaged and needed replacement anyway. So I made the switch to the symmetrical gear then. I do believe it’s an upgrade over advanced tooth, but I wouldn’t necessarily consider a “must change” for a new box. Had I upgraded the synchros from the start, the original gear would probably still be good.

Check out Liberty’s Gears in Michigan - they have some upgraded Magnums and they know their stuff.

https://libertysgears.com/our-products/tremec/

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I’ve used the Tremec all-carbon synchros on 3 & 4, and have since switched to the Synchrotech all-carbon synchros on 1-6 & R. It’s never shifted better.
I had the Syncrotech kit put in my MT82 in the '16 car and what a difference it made. Very worthwhile upgrade, made a huge difference in shifting, it should be a no-brainer if you're rebuilding an MT82. But still put a trans cooler on it for sure.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
CA
Thanks everyone for your feedback.
@67GTA looks like liberty is the better deal, more upgrades and about $500 less. I’ll have to call tomorrow to get the full details but thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel