The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TMO At The First GT350 Track Attack!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It was a pleasure putting this together and it was nice to see some new faces in the group. While we've done a few other track events this was the best one so far. 8)

As Gary mentioned we've got the Mustang Roundup in September and the Cruzin the Carousel at Sonoma in August. We hope to see plenty of Bosses, GT350's and other Mustangs at these events.

Well done Rick and thanks again for setting it up. It was a bit of a risk being the first group through and gambling on early April weather but it all worked out perfectly. 8)

perfect trip...the people, the facility, the cars, the weather...all of it.
thanks to Rick for orchestrating.
also, thanks to the guys who provided a 'draft' for me on day two...not physically, of course, but since I hadn't driven anything like that 302FRS before, it was invaluable to be able to follow fast drivers with lots of seat time in them which allowed me to enjoy the car at a much quicker pace than I would have gotten to by myself. One thing I've learned about my psyche on track is that I like to chase. ;-)

(and for those folks who haven't driven with some of these guys...they are, indeed, some very capable drivers...fast and predictable)

Last note to the folks that were there: thanks for welcoming / accommodating my son (for those that weren't there, he's 18 and it was his first time on track...he drove day 1 but not day 2). I've got to admit, the parent in me was pretty nervous...but he did great and the impressions you made on him - on and off the track - got him off on a really good foot.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
Well done Rick and thanks again for setting it up. It was a bit of a risk being the first group through and gambling on early April weather but it all worked out perfectly. 8)

+1 Thanks Rick.

Fantastic weather, and a great group at a wonderful facility -- my third time there and I'm eager to go back.

Yes. Thank you Rick. It was spectacular to meet everyone and the school really stepped up to providing us great cars and driving time on a first rate track!

I'm not surprised everyone had a great time, I did the Boss Track Attack in 2012. I will be there this weekend and can't wait. I wont be on the track this time because I decided to let my 37 year old son take my seat and my 35 year old son will be a driving guest. I'm going as a non driving guest and think it's going to be a great time. Neither son has ever been on a track.

mvic1518 said:
I'm not surprised everyone had a great time, I did the Boss Track Attack in 2012. I will be there this weekend and can't wait. I wont be on the track this time because I decided to let my 37 year old son take my seat and my 35 year old son will be a driving guest. I'm going as a non driving guest and think it's going to be a great time. Neither son has ever been on a track.

you're the man for giving up your seat(s). I wouldn't be worried, given their maturity, but I can tell you that they'll be in very good hands. they're still your kids...I get that. they made my 18 yr old feel right at home!

mvic1518 said:
I think your sons are really going to thank you. Sounds like it will be a great time for your family.

fuhrius said:
you're the man for giving up your seat(s). I wouldn't be worried, given their maturity, but I can tell you that they'll be in very good hands. they're still your kids...I get that. they made my 18 yr old feel right at home!

I not worried at all. I think this is the perfect place for their first track experience. It is going to be a great time. They both have driven my Boss 302 many times and are capable drivers.

Mad302 said:
Okay need a full detail account of the Boss FRS cars. Those look amazing to drive.
They were amazing to drive. A totally raw visceral experience. They had seriously lightened the cars, but I'm not sure what they weighed. I would guess they were in the 3200-3300 lb range without driver. They had the big 6 pot Brembo brakes and the big wing so you could brake late and run through the sweepers fast with a lot of confidence (too much on one occasion ;D) I could have been braking even later if we would have had more track time. They felt a little underpowered compared to my Boss, but I'm guessing it was the altitude (thin air), but they still pulled hard. It could have also been the comparison to the GT350 the day before. Visibility was a little challenging with the full cage, window nets and driver side interior net, but manageable. The main restriction on visibility was more the mirrors compared to the street cars. It was also somewhat challenging to pick up peripheral marks when looking a turn and a half ahead, but you just adapt to finding other visual cues, and or "estimating". They shifted much better than the stock Boss and had the Tremec gear boxes. Overall, just awesome cars and like @Black Boss I'm eager to get back in them again.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
cloud9 said:
They were amazing to drive. A totally raw visceral experience. They had seriously lightened the cars, but I'm not sure what they weighed. I would guess they were in the 3200-3300 lb range without driver. They had the big 6 pot Brembo brakes and the big wing so you could brake late and run through the sweepers fast with a lot of confidence (too much on one occasion ;D) I could have been braking even later if we would have had more track time. They felt a little underpowered compared to my Boss, but I'm guessing it was the altitude (thin air), but they still pulled hard. It could have also been the comparison to the GT350 the day before. Visibility was a little challenging with the full cage, window nets and driver side interior net, but manageable. The main restriction on visibility was more the mirrors compared to the street cars. It was also somewhat challenging to pick up peripheral marks when looking a turn and a half ahead, but you just adapt to finding other visual cues, and or "estimating". They shifted much better than the stock Boss and had the Tremec gear boxes. Overall, just awesome cars and like @Black Boss I'm eager to get back in them again.

+1

This was the second time I'd driven these cars -- I rented one to race last summer. It's amazing what weight and Aero does. These cars actually have a lower power to weight ratio than both Gary's and my Boss track cars -- we are both close to the limit for TT3, and these cars are spec'd for ST3 which has the same power:weight, but they take a penalty for Aero and have been designed to pass weight checks with drivers weighing less.....

This experience has me thinking about a race car, again :eek:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Waco, TX
Are they using Watson cages in them? I have a glass roof car and i would like or prefer a full cage in there. Not too many cage places here in Omaha.

Black Boss said:
+1

This was the second time I'd driven these cars -- I rented one to race last summer. It's amazing what weight and Aero does. These cars actually have a lower power to weight ratio than both Gary's and my Boss track cars -- we are both close to the limit for TT3, and these cars are spec'd for ST3 which has the same power:weight, but they take a penalty for Aero and have been designed to pass weight checks with drivers weighing less.....

This experience has me thinking about a race car, again :eek:
Ive been thinking a lot about buying a 302S since Tuesday. But my wife pretty much killed that idea over dinner last night. ::)

Glad you guys had fun and it's super awesome they're doing a GT350 track attack. I did the Boss track attack and it was a blast.

If anyone is going to a GT350 TA in the future and wants to let someone use their guest spot I'm 100% in ;)

--
Mathew Richardson

TMO Supporting Vendors