The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

To mod or not to mod?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS

Modding is truly up to the car owner. Some guys rant that the car was made to race, others rant the car is too collectable to do anything but appriciate in the garage. I feel t's not up for anyone to judge if someone should mod thier car or not. If these cars become collectable or not, I think those who have saved their money or can afford the loan to purchse their car is entitled to do what they want to their cars. Myself, no modding at all.........I just drive it on nice days and plan on keeping it like I bought it. If I track it, it's going to at a drag strip. Just once or twice at most. For those who have modded, more power to you!.....Enjoy your car!......You've earned the right!............Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Sesshomurai

@regalt87, @CaliMR
Thanks for the detailed posts. Truly enlightening!

Same for the others. I'm learning a lot.

Waiting game for my '13 LS hurts though. Is there a therapy group for this period?

BLAZN BOSS

Sesshomurai said:
@regalt87, @CaliMR
Thanks for the detailed posts. Truly enlightening!

Same for the others. I'm learning a lot.

Waiting game for my '13 LS hurts though. Is there a therapy group for this period?
My therapy was going to another dealership that had a Boss on the showroom floor the same color I ordered till mine showed up. except that one had a 5K markup.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
boss1 said:
cloud9 said:
JScheier said:
Wait until you get your first rock chip... or the windshield is so pitted you can't see out of it... you may have ruined it for down the road, but I guarantee you'll be having a blast doing it ;)
Just got my Ford Racing windshield banner......but I need a new windshield first. Putting it on this one would be a waste. $30 sticker going to cost me $300. Heck I got a full year out of it so I shouldn't complain ;D

Thats a tough one if windsheilds are only 300 thats good. Tear offs are 250....... Ive always had the tear offs but I may run and just throw a new windsheild in......

Clear bra will be my next mod before the track again.

<><><><><><><><><>

Not real big on the bras. Even clear. In tyme, they have a tendancy to age the paint color differently that the rest of the car. That's just my 2 cents.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
To answer whether to mods or not, it is completely up to what you want out of the car. If you plan on racing it, go ahead and spice her up. I only plan on running her on a few track days a year and have done several mods to my KB Boss but they're all cosmetic so far. One thing to keep in mind especially if you want to keep the original integrity of the car is to keep all the parts you take off. I've done this to mine so that it can be restored to factory condition with original parts.

TymeSlayer said:
Not real big on the bras. Even clear. In tyme, they have a tendancy to age the paint color differently that the rest of the car. That's just my 2 cents.
For a car that sees a lot of track time, the tradeoff is a sandblasted hood and repaint after roughly 3 years. I put a clear bra on the front 12" of hood and fenders for the first time ever on a car with the Boss. I chose not to do the front clip since it was another $300 and my body shop told me $400 to paint it. Based on the first track season I'll probably repaint after this year or for sure after next, but it still made more sense than doing the clear bra on that part IMO. I'll be putting clear bra on the front edge of my Tiger Hood once the curing process is complete in March. The 2013 hood design may not pick up chips as bad as the '12s. My '07 GT500 with the same basic hood design as my Boss has a hailed front edge. I should have put it on that one but live and learn.

Also depends where you are tracking it, I did not get any chips in the paint on my Evo after about 15 track days and they are known for thin paint. The E30 I don't think I have any, but the paint is bad enough it is hard to tell. Our tracks are pretty clean, unless someone drops a wheel and chucks arrow heads at you (lots of flint in the dirt). Another option, if you don't do a lot of track days, is to wrap the front in painter's tape. That is what a lot of the nicer cars do here. Also, if you do clear bra, you can do the whole panels instead of just the front of them and then it is harder to see that it has a clear bra. Costs quite a bit more but imo looks better, especially if it is mainly a street car. I know people who have their whole cars wrapped, but I asked the local guy about it and he won't wrap the vinyl. He said it will ruin it. But there is not really a consensus on that.

Sesshomurai

Hehe. Yeah, I was gonna add, that it would be hard to get chipped if you're out in front!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I have the perfect therapy for you to hold you off till you get your Boss.

One weekend go to a BMW dealer, appear to be very interested and test drive an M3. Next weekend go to a Porshe dealer and test drive a lower end 911. Then go home and laugh all the while you're waiting... ;D

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:

One weekend go to a BMW dealer, appear to be very interested and test drive an M3. Next weekend go to a Porshe dealer and test drive a lower end 911. Then go home and laugh all the while you're waiting... ;D

I like that idea. Haha.

Off topic, but one thing that is amazing about this vehicle, is that its proof-positive that there is a diminishing return on adding horsepower, blowers, etc. for performance. I'm a track noob, but Ford really found a sweet spot of power/torque/weight and handling whereas other manufacturers (and even shelby) just keep adding horsepower to sell cars. For this car to trounce all but the highest-end European cars (where handling is more important than HP) is still a shocker to me.

Truth be told, I was one phone call away from buying a Camaro ZL1, but with the gas guzzle tax ($2300), dealer markup ($2-$5k) and another $6k on the sticker for more for horsepower I didn't need, getting my '13 302 LS at sticker was a "no brainer". Long time chevy/pontiac owner, first time Ford owner!

Sesshomurai said:
Off topic, but one thing that is amazing about this vehicle, is that its proof-positive that there is a diminishing return on adding horsepower, blowers, etc. for performance. I'm a track noob, but Ford really found a sweet spot of power/torque/weight and handling whereas other manufacturers (and even shelby) just keep adding horsepower to sell cars. For this car to trounce all but the highest-end European cars (where handling is more important than HP) is still a shocker to me.

Truth be told, I was one phone call away from buying a Camaro ZL1, but with the gas guzzle tax ($2300), dealer markup ($2-$5k) and another $6k on the sticker for more for horsepower I didn't need, getting my '13 302 LS at sticker was a "no brainer". Long time chevy/pontiac owner, first time Ford owner!
I agree with you and I'm also new to tracking a full sized car. My main purpose for tracking my car is to have fun legally and not worry about setting any lap records. The Boss feels very fast on the two tracks I've driven on but with that said it's amazing how quickly you get use to 444 HP. ;D

PeteInCT said:

You don't do this already? I'm trying to figure out a strategy for the local McLaren dealer, their opening was invite only so I am assuming my usual cargo pants and hoody won't cut it.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Give it a shot! I couldn't even get a test drive in an LS before I bought it. I actually know someone who is seriously considering the MP4-12C. There may be a ride shotgun in my future, that would be cool.

I have a friend with more money than he knows what to do with, so I get to ride in and occasionally drive some exotic cars. We went shopping for private planes a couple months ago and that was fun. One of my scenarios I have planned out involves talking him into going to test drive one and I tag along since it is right by my house :D

I almost bought his GT3RS off him before I found the Boss, he has 3 of them: one for the track, one as DD and a 4.0 I was working on a deal for the DD as he is using the 4.0 now.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
That 4.0 is some mean machine based on what I've read. I havn't seen one yet at the track but I assume I'll see one this season. The fastest thing I've been on a track with at the same tiime was a GT3 with twin turbos installed. I believe we was pulling almost 700 HP at the crank. It was stripped down like a Cup car and weighed 2800 lbs. He was on the track with me at LimeRock, so fast it just was ridiculous.

I've seen everything up through Veyrons at the track, but the Veyron and most of the high end stuff is just parked in the lot ::)

There are a couple Ferrari challenge cars and some Z06s out here but most of them are in TT or the race groups so I don't get to run with them. I have had a few Z06s in my group and Vipers and some highly modded imports and Mustangs but with 150 HP I basically was just hoping they don't throw me off the track with a sonic boom on the straights ;D The guy with the GT3RSs comes when we rent out the track for private days, but he brings too much noise for my E30. Hopefully next time I can give him a run for his money in the Boss, as my skills are better than his though his car is probably still a fair bit faster.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
From what I've personally seen, if he's in a stock GT3RS (an excellent track car BTW) and you are the better driver in a Boss you will give him fits. ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel