The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Took The BOSS To Test & Tune Last Night

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS

seca954 said:
PTRocks said:
RoushF150 said:
I was at Cayuga in Ontario. I could launch the car with no wheel spin but it would just bog. Any kind of spin resulted in bad wheel hop. I had shocks set at 1 all around and 2 or 3 in the rear might have reduced the hop. Going to change LCA's and try again. Car is just at beak-in point and still has more power to come. This is my 2nd 13 BOSS and has not caught up in power to the other one yet.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I would think that setting the rears to 5 would give a better launch because the tires would be pushed harder into the pavement. Setting the fronts at 1 would allow the front to lift more, transferring weight to the back as well.

I theory, you should have all the shock set at 1. You want the rear shocks to be soft so the car will squat it's weight down. Ideally the front shock would allow the front of the car to rise quick and slowly come down.
Nope, you want the force of the lift from the front to plant the rear, soft setting will let the car use up the suspension and not get the tires the work they need. The best would be 5 on the RR and 4 on the LR and 1 on the fronts.

BLAZN BOSS said:
seca954 said:
PTRocks said:
RoushF150 said:
I was at Cayuga in Ontario. I could launch the car with no wheel spin but it would just bog. Any kind of spin resulted in bad wheel hop. I had shocks set at 1 all around and 2 or 3 in the rear might have reduced the hop. Going to change LCA's and try again. Car is just at beak-in point and still has more power to come. This is my 2nd 13 BOSS and has not caught up in power to the other one yet.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here. I would think that setting the rears to 5 would give a better launch because the tires would be pushed harder into the pavement. Setting the fronts at 1 would allow the front to lift more, transferring weight to the back as well.

I theory, you should have all the shock set at 1. You want the rear shocks to be soft so the car will squat it's weight down. Ideally the front shock would allow the front of the car to rise quick and slowly come down.
Nope, you want the force of the lift from the front to plant the rear, soft setting will let the car use up the suspension and not get the tires the work they need. The best would be 5 on the RR and 4 on the LR and 1 on the fronts.

Blazin Boss, I get yorur logic but disagree because of the stiif short side wall on our tires. I run all my shocks at 1 and get no wheel hop. Next Sept I will make it back to the track and try your 4,5 shock settings though just to see what happens. IMO 4,5 would work great with slicks.

BLAZN BOSS

seca954 said:
BLAZN BOSS said:
seca954 said:
PTRocks said:
RoushF150 said:

Blazin Boss, I get yorur logic but disagree because of the stiif short side wall on our tires. I run all my shocks at 1 and get no wheel hop. Next Sept I will make it back to the track and try your 4,5 shock settings though just to see what happens. IMO 4,5 would work great with slicks.
I can say I have never road raced.............but I have had many drag cars. The first purchase of a stree strip cars shocks are 90/10's for the front and 50/50s for the rearof course the 90/10's release easy and hold.........the 50/50 takes the force of the weight transfer and the 50/50's take that forces and the stiffer shock helps plant it to the tires. A soft rear shock will let all the suspension absorb the energy of the weight transfer and transfer very little. Now the stiffer shock on the right wheel and a little softer on the left rear will help equalize torque so both tires will have bite.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I ran 2 all the way around. forgot that the shocks were adjustable when I was at the track lol. I was cutting 1.8's 60 foots with 27x10.5 ET streets stock everything else. No wheel hop front rose pretty well. the rear didnt squat to much at all. Now fast fwd to now and on the street I get wheel hop bad in first and second on concrete roads. Fresh black top I dont.

TMO Supporting Vendors