The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

track key warranty concern

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am so confused with this warranty issue. The sales manager at my dealer has been checking for a couple of days but has not determined exact interpretation. I was told at purchase that the factory warranty would NOT be compromised by TK installation. Also I bought an extended warranty. The dealer is having problems with this. Has anyone seen a clear statement about this? I saw the posting but it is not clear to any of us here as to how a dealer would determine an engine failure as caused by TK. Ford - help!

devonboss said:
I am so confused with this warranty issue. The sales manager at my dealer has been checking for a couple of days but has not determined exact interpretation. I was told at purchase that the factory warranty would NOT be compromised by TK installation. Also I bought an extended warranty. The dealer is having problems with this. Has anyone seen a clear statement about this? I saw the posting but it is not clear to any of us here as to how a dealer would determine an engine failure as caused by TK. Ford - help!

Yea that changed. You have the remaining time left on you 3 year/36,000 warranty, so if you have the car for seven months and 10,000 miles now you are left with 29 months and 26,000 miles. The 5/60 is still there but if you have a problem it will be determined by Ford if they will cover any problem since you have Trackey.

I do not see Trackey hurting the car, it was put together but the same people that built the engine. However this is a get out of warranty free card for them if they choose to use it. I would hope not and doubt they would do things like this, it is just not good for business. Then again telling us it will not effect warranty and changing that can't be good for business.

Personally if I bought a extended warranty I would get my money back or not get the program.

As per my dealer "trackey changes everything". If you have an extended warranty and get the trackey your ext. warranty is now useless.

Especially for the extended warranties, it is wise to check individually with the dealer or warranty company that sold you yours. And get the interpretation IN WRITING. Talk is cheap and can't be proven if issues arise.

After a few days research, my dealer answered that after TK is installed, the Ext Warranty still applies for the full vehicle. Only if the TK fails itself (software) does the 3 / 36000 apply. The factory warranty is not compromised. I called Ford Cust relations and they were helpful but could not confirm so was transferred to ESP sales who could not confirm so I was transferred to ESP Prior Approvals. All of those people were as helpful as they could be. The Prior App person did some research and confirmed what the dealer said. The full factory warranty and ESP still apply. The TK itself has a 3yr / 36000 warranty. If a mechanical failure happens WITH THE TK AND IN COMPETITIVE DRIVING the factory and ESP no longer apply. So it appears that the original Ford press release still applies.

If they are saying that when a problem arises due to trackey your esp is voided then why should anyone choose to have trackey installed if they have an esp?

orng302 said:
If they are saying that when a problem arises due to trackey your esp is voided then why should anyone choose to have trackey installed if they have an esp?
I'm comfortable with the warranty and don't think it's going to be a problem. Aftermarket tunes don't come with any warranty.

orng302 said:
The ESP is only voided if the failure occurs under competitive track use.

BLAZN BOSS

Another way to look at is if you didnt even have the ability to have trackey and something happens during competition use your warranty doesn't cover damage......

I chose the wrong wording. The situation I was trying to bring up was, if you have the trackey and there is an issue that they have determined was caused by the trackey then you are only covered for 3yrs/36mos and not the 7yrs/100k mi. under the esp on engine, driveline, and suspension.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel