The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track S197 Build - Silver Bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all,
I am new to the form. Bought my 2011 GT in 2016 as a salvage title car with 1800KM (~1100miles). It sat for 6 years. It is an early 2010 build and was slavaged in Aug 2010 for hydro-locked engine that resulted in 3 holes in the block. Started building car in late 2017 and got it on the road in 2018. Built as a track car, but waiting for a track near me to finally open (next summer). Only has 3000 miles on it now.
I have raced for 20+ years. I have raced karts, sports cars, Formula 2000, stock cars both road race and oval. Some lower pro level stuff. So pretty experienced. Have my kids in karting now and have briggs for myself (can you say momentum!)

This is my build for the track

Front Suspension
MCS TT1 single adjustable coilovers
550#/in springs
Whiteline 33mm adjustable sway bar and endlinks
Vorshlag Camber Plates

Rear Suspension
MCS TT1 single adjustable coilovers
250#/in springs
Whiteline 27mm adjustable sway bar and end link
Whiteline Watts Link
Whiteline Rear adjustable LCA with C-Max Bushings
Whiteline rear LCA relocation brackets

Front Brakes
OEM Brembo 14" with G-LOC R12 pads
Vorshlag rotor baking plates w/ 3" duct (need to add ducting and intake)
Rear Brakes
OEM GT with G-LOC R10 pads

Engine
Forged Rods and Pistons (stock compression)
Bored 0.010” Over
Comp Cams Stage 3 Cams, Boss 302 Valves, upgraded springs
Phase limiters
Custom hand ported heads
Ford Racing 47lb fuel Injectors
Cobra Jet intake Manifold
Ford Performance Twin 65mm Cobra Jet Throttle Body
Ford Performance 5.0L Cobra Jet cold air kit
Stainless work 1-7/8in long tube headers with off road pipe. No Cats
3” exhaust
ARP head studs
Billet cam gears
Billet oil pump gears
Cooling mod
Mishimoto Rad
Poly engine mounts
Boss oil cooler
Dyno Tuned (on a very stingy Mustang Dyno - 412whp vs stock 2011 coyote of 334whp - Approx 510hp crank)
Redline set at 7800rpm

Transmission
Stock MT82
Whiteline Positive shift kit
Act Clutch and Macleod flywheel

Differential
OEM 3.73 Gears and LSD

Wheels and Tires
Street: Apex EC-7 18x9.5 w/ Indy 500 275/40R18
Track: TBD

Exterior:
Stock

Interior:
Stock

Future plans

Front Suspension
Poly lower control arm bushings
Steering Rack - Does a 2012+ GT rack work with poly bushings or do I need to Boss 302S rack?

Differential
Upgrade LSD?
Oil Cooler required?
Taller gears?

Wheels and Tires
Undecided - See post in Wheel and Tire section

Exterior
Driving light delete
Cooling vents in hood or aftermarket hood
Front Splitter
Rear Wing

Interior
Gut
Full Cage
5 point harnesses
Racing Seats
Steering Wheel

Thoughts on my build and future plans?

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome!

I'm sure you'll find as I have that you will need an air-oil cooler instead of the Boss 302 water-oil cooler. Temps on my Boss are WAY up there after just a few laps on track. I am in the process right now of gathering what I need for a new oil cooler setup.

As for the rear end of the car I'd probably go with a locking diff for maximum reliability on track. I'm using a Detroit Locker in my race car as I've managed to wear out all the others I've tried: Auburn Pro, Stock Traction-Lok, Torsen T2-R.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
FYI. I am also upgrading the air to oil cooler and removing the boss cooler.

One item I missed was the need for the oil filter insert (adapter), a small piece with threads on both ends. Part # AL3Z-6890-A A $5 part.

The boss cooler comes with a longer adapter which goes through the cooler to the block. The GT insert is the one you should need.

TMO Supporting Vendors