The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Track Tire/Utility Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El_Tortuga said:
Tire trailer 2.0 for me. Added the wings so I can go 4 wide, added the big toolbox, and a mount for the air tank.

That looks great!
Did you weld the L brackets to make the wing?

I successfully towed the trailer to my first event of the season this past weekend. It was my first time towing anything, so I was a little nervous while going over bumps. I kept looking in the rear view mirror to make sure the trailer was still there... or sparks were not flying ::).

Overall, I think the trailer was worth it, since it makes packing/unpacking easier and faster. Also, the jugs alone saved me around $66 over the weekend.

Here are a few pictures of the trailer at the track.

IMAG1058%20Copy_zpsbyt2tcxf.jpg

IMAG1056%20Copy_zpsfanagdie.jpg

IMAG1043%20Copy_zps72wnpcvs.jpg

Yessir. Welded the wings up similar to a setup I liked. Bought a short section of 3/16 x 4" strip for the base flange, salvaged some 2x2 excess off of a boat trailer (2 4." long sections), and the 2" angles were from my first version. Yeah, I'm cheap. Gate clasps for the tank, and the big Pelican box was scooped up (used) for same/less money than a much flimsier truck box.

You hit on a key aspect, the easier load and unload and not packing the car so precisely.

I used a very similar setup with my old car. I ended up adding a 2-foot extension to the trailer, and relocating the axle to get a little more space.
189215_1003090913250_2611_n_zpsfuvnjrom.jpg

As you can see in this picture, I was able to fit two rows of tires (I would haul a friend's tires), and the tool box.
225112_1030075667852_32_n_zpsiimtafkg.jpg

I really don't use the trailer any more as the friend I was helping out now has a 24' enclosed trailer for his car, so he hauls out my race tires. ;D

I like the idea of using the fuel jug fixture on the trailer. I may have to add that for when I do have to haul my own stuff.

F.D. Sako said:
That's what friends are for, right? ;D

How'd you extend the trailer?
Seems like you bought long frame rails?

I bought some 2" x 1" U-channel (similar to the HF frame material) and created a 24" x 40" box, I then attached that to the rear of the HF frame. I then re-drilled holes for the axle springs to space them appropriately for the extended length. Now that I don't really use this for hauling track tires anymore, I'm considering transforming the trailer base into a small teardrop camper, with some provisions to store track tools and tires (if needed). We usually camp at our track events, and It would be a nice, elevated and enclosed sleeping space ILO a tent and air mattress. The HF frame is rated for up to 1200 lb, so it should handle the upgrade easily enough.

Good thread! I am new to the forums and while I do not own a Mustang I have been a track enthusiast for a long time so thought I would share my experiences. I recently sold my '04 C5 Z06 that I towed a trailer with for a few years.

If I can make a recommendation I would go back and put loctite on all the bolts and check them frequently so they don't come loose. There have been a few members on the Corvette forums where those trailers fell apart while driving down the road due to loose bolts so you can never be too careful. I also know members who have used them for years with no problems. Just want for everyone to have good experiences.

Also, for those looking for future trailers you don't have to go with something that small. I ran a 4x6 Tractor Supply trailer behind my C5 and it worked great. With this trailer you don't have to put anything together or worry about any bolts coming loose. There were other Vette guys that ran the same trailer.

2013-03-03_07-11-34_206.jpg
2013-01-27_13-12-19_341-1.jpg

When I wasn't using it I used to just stand it up on it's end in my garage.

2012-12-30_16-45-00_757_zps792c3e0b.jpg

It worked great and still got 22mpg towing it about 550 miles one way for a track event.

Jeremy

Jeremy, thanks for sharing your experience and pictures.

I llooked at a lot of trailer images from the corvette forums to come up with my trailer layout. It seemed majority of tire trailer users were corvette or miata owners. Pretty sure I ran across your images as well :p

I need to make sure all the bolts are tight before i get back out there again. I almost lost my trailer license plate, because the bolts loosened from all the vibration. Glad someone informed me while driving, ended up ziptieing the plates for the rest of the trip.

@JeremyGSU welcome to TMO. Are you considering replacing your Z06 with a Mustang?

VoodooBOSS said:
@JeremyGSU welcome to TMO. Are you considering replacing your Z06 with a Mustang?

I'd like to get a used GT350 in the next few years if possible. Its really got my eye and I think it's a great car. Ford really did an excellent job with it. I've done about 100 track days over the last 9 years with a few different cars, the last 4 in my Z and a few on a bike. It was a great car but I got to the point where if I wanted to go faster I was going to have to put quite a bit of money in it for a true BBK, coilovers, probably a motor rebuild and I just didn't want to put any more money in it. Plus, my wife and I are having our first child so it was a good time to sell it and re-focus for something else down the road.

If the kid wasn't about to come I probably would have already gotten one! :)

PS - your red Mustang looks amazing

Jeremy

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Old thread, new information (sort of). 2005 GT 4.6.

Here is the hitch: https://www.walmart.com/ip/05-09-Mu...eplacement-Auto-Part-Easy-to-Install/35536687

The only modification needed is to remove the passenger side rear most muffler hanger and cut off the vertical portion of the hanger that bolts to the frame rail. The hanger will then slide through the opening in the trailer hitch and re-install in the original mounting hole.

I used 6" bolts and washers rather than the carriage bolts provided with the hitch.

ef39f98a-b65a-44a6-946f-6370952b0651_1.73a961a9a90c0bb042a58b9c1e7b9b02.jpeg

Hitch clears bumper cover without any modifications.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Florida
Now that the wiring install is complete, here is what worked for me.

As most know, early s197s use a low voltage system for the brake/turn/parking lights.
I bought the Tekonsha ModuLite® HD Plus Protector w/Integrated Circuit & Overload Protection Trailer Light Power Module Part #119190kit. There are many other versions of this, plus knock offs, but they did not have the same specs. I know this unit works.

Wiring to a flat 4 pole for the trailer looks like this:

IMG_20230615_073143947~2.jpg

The module is secured on the lower fuel pump driver module stud. There is a ground bolt right above.
Trailer is wired on standard two wire system. Brown to parking lights. Yellow to left turn/brake. Green to right turn/brake. White is the ground.

The Tekonsha must have 12v. There is no 12v source in the trunk of my car (not the trunk light either). I tapped the 12v wire (Red/White) from the power seat connector since my stock seats are gone. Ignition must be on or car running for lights to work. The other option is to run the power wire straight to the battery, but that would have meant fishing through the entire interior and out of the firewall.

TMO Supporting Vendors