The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Uneven pad wear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Has anyone noticed uneven pad wear (one side vs. other of the same pad) on the front brakes ? I saw this for the first time on the Boss at Watkins Glen this past Mon/Tues. When I went to checxk the pads before I went out the side I was looking at had enough pad left for at least 1 more run. Come to find that the other side (bottom) you can't see easily was down to the backing plate.

PS: This happened on both sides, left and right, inside pads. Big thumbs up for the Coleman cryo treated rotors, evem though I was on the backing plate the rotors showed absolutely no evidence of it at all. Obviously the rotor steel is much harder than the backing plate itself.

Getting ready for a NASA event at Miami Homestead and noticed the rear brakes were draging.

Took out the rear pads and found this.

001_zps594ef874.jpg

Outer pad has worn at twice the rate of the outer pad.

Swapped out the old pads for new ones.

I guess I'm going to inspect these after each event and swap inner to outer after each event so I get max life out of my pads

PeteInCT

Connecticut
To see this on the rears is a little odd since we have single piston rear calipers. I would check to get bsure that your pads are not binding in the calipers at either end. Maybe clean out the area with a wire brush before install. Watch not to hit the rubber boot on the piston itself.

Mine do that on my E30 track car, it has our rear brakes on the front and rear (basically). My inner wear faster on the front, my rears basically don't wear so I would have to check them to see if they are inner or outer more. Brembo style pads in my experience wear funny top to bottom and front to back on each pad, also my Evo (had Brembos front and back) did the same thing on all four but I don't remember which wore faster as far as inner and outer pad.

Swap them around regularly if you track them. Just be careful to inspect the inner ones as well as outer at track days.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Smitty - you need to put your foot in the CENTER of the brake pedal ! ;D

Happy New Year !

TMO Supporting Vendors