The Mustang Forum for Track Enthusiasts

Track Mustangs Online was built specifically for those who track their Mustangs!

Vorshlag 2018 Mustang GT + S550 Development Thread

boardkat

CAMtard
Lake Oswego, OR
W2W Racing
10-20 Years
I did a surge tank as well, I ran my tank all the way down to 6% and still had a solid flat 58psi at the rail at all times.

I'm working with a radium retailer to make a kit for S197 and S550 cars.
yep, and i calculated it'll take ~18s @ WOT with my current fuel(dual 465s)/power (750rwhp) to empty the ~1/2 gallon can, which in the real world is never gonna happen. short of going to a fuel cell w/ foam and in-tank surge setup, this is about as good as it gets.

fwiw, aaron and i go way back to when i was in an elise and he was just getting his company off the ground in the lotus market a decade ago - he's a short drive across town from me. if your vendor can do the legwork and bring a strong business case for making a kit, he'll easily jump on board.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Rocklin, CA
HPDE
5-10 Years
hydramat, fuel foam on the hump, etc aren’t big enough bandaids; you will still fuel starve on CCW configs under 1/2 tank, especially as you go up in power and/or switch to E85. plumbing in a fuel surge tank fixed all my problems:

View attachment 15254
Surge tanks are pretty common in other platforms too - I almost went that route myself with my old track car. It was either that, modify the tank baffling or get a fuel cell. Surge tank was the most reasonable option for what I was doing.

ChuckBilodeau

TMO Intermediate
Question for you Terry:

I'm building a 2020 ecoboost base for road racing. I ordered a bunch of parts from you, thanks again. I followed you thread closely for inspiration and tips.

I went with the Wilwood racing brake system (14'' cuz series rules require 18'' wheels, tires are 245 anyway so grip is limited). I might eventually upgrade the system but this is what i'll use for now to keep the costs down. I followed your advice to switch the master cylinder and brake booster to the PP1-2 spec. Thanks again for sharing.

My question is regarding the ABS. Did you keep the same pump, control unit and computer? I don't think the pump has anything to do with the bias but not all ABS systems work equal. Are there potential gains by switching out the entire unit and computer for the GT350 system which is supposed to be 'track tuned'?

I have not tried my setup yet.

thanks

johnson.ba

TMO Intermediate
Arizona
Question for you Terry:

I'm building a 2020 ecoboost base for road racing. I ordered a bunch of parts from you, thanks again. I followed you thread closely for inspiration and tips.

I went with the Wilwood racing brake system (14'' cuz series rules require 18'' wheels, tires are 245 anyway so grip is limited). I might eventually upgrade the system but this is what i'll use for now to keep the costs down. I followed your advice to switch the master cylinder and brake booster to the PP1-2 spec. Thanks again for sharing.

My question is regarding the ABS. Did you keep the same pump, control unit and computer? I don't think the pump has anything to do with the bias but not all ABS systems work equal. Are there potential gains by switching out the entire unit and computer for the GT350 system which is supposed to be 'track tuned'?

I have not tried my setup yet.

thanks
I believe the ABS unit is the same across trim levels. The ECU tuning for the ABS is different across trims to account for the available grip the different trims have from factory.

Fair

Go Big or Go Home
Supporting Vendor
Plano, TX
Yes, we have noticed the same thing. We recently replaced the ABS unit out of an S550 that had physically damaged the OEM one. Every light on the dash lit up, but after taking it to Ford they were able to reprogram the ECU and modules and "married" the new S550 ABS unit to that car. It all worked fine. We used a used similar year unit, but it was not "exactly" the same. And like johnson.ba reported, it still works fine.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel