The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buland

One of the rare Boss LS in Switzerland
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

ordered for the ghig a sound tube delete kit, 4 pioneer TS-D6802R speakers mit metra adapters, recieved restrictor plates from rick (thank you), and the one touch turn signal adapter. the jlt oil seperator is also on its way to me.

planned but not yet ordered:
ls pedestral spoiler
k&n drop in air filter
FORD RACING 2012-2013 BOSS 302 LOWERING SPRING with a adjustable panhard bar
Ford Racing Wheel kit ls style
replace the factory stereo head unit
and much more

Tulsa, OK

Swiss Boss said:
Nice work!

How big is it?

Thanks man! It's about 6 inches in the front and then tapers to around 4 inches by the fenders where it connects to the spats. Thanks for paving the way; I used your "how-to" post quite a bit while building mine.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !

Started the Boss up for the first time in about 40 days. This time I actually drove it since we had a nice sunny day here in Seattle. Go Hawks!

Fomoco302 said:
Installed the Kooks side pipes. Now the sound is getting right !

Do you have them installed on the stock Boss H-pipe or on a Kooks H-pipe?

Can you describe the difference in the sound?

Complete bmr front suspension package
Carbon fiber driveshat
Spec clutch
Id1000 injecters added

All for now
Friday it starts eating corn during the dyno session

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!

GottaBoss said:
Do you have them installed on the stock Boss H-pipe or on a Kooks H-pipe?

Can you describe the difference in the sound?

Stock Boss pipe with plates removed. Definitely minimizes the infamous "jake brake" sound. I have to get my son to do a drive by so I can hear what others are hearing. From inside the car it's a nice, throaty growl.

Fomoco302 said:
Stock Boss pipe with plates removed. Definitely minimizes the infamous "jake brake" sound. I have to get my son to do a drive by so I can hear what others are hearing. From inside the car it's a nice, throaty growl.

Would they fit with the spacers in place? I have electric cutouts and would be interested in the Kooks side pipes for looks and sound but don't want to give up the cutouts which take the place of the spacers and plates in the stock setup. Kooks is telling me that the will fit with the cutouts installed but I've read that they may not.

Fomoco302

GottaBoss said:
Would they fit with the spacers in place? I have electric cutouts and would be interested in the Kooks side pipes for looks and sound but don't want to give up the cutouts which take the place of the spacers and plates in the stock setup. Kooks is telling me that the will fit with the cutouts installed but I've read that they may not.

I don't know what you mean by spacer. Can you give me more detail?
Thanks

Fomoco302 said:
I don't know what you mean by spacer. Can you give me more detail?
Thanks

I haven't had them off for awhile and am not with the car now but as I recall there is both a thin restrictor plate to control sound and a thicker spacer where the side pipe connects to the H-pipe. The spacer is around 1/2" thick. Both of these come out when the electric cutouts are installed.

Edit: this

P1010652.jpg

GottaBoss said:
I haven't had them off for awhile and am not with the car now but as I recall there is both a thin restrictor plate to control sound and a thicker spacer where the side pipe connects to the H-pipe. The spacer is around 1/2" thick. Both of these come out when the electric cutouts are installed.

Edit: this

P1010652.jpg

Yes, exactly......that!

Do the Kooks side pipes fit on the stock H-pipe with that spacer in place?

(thanks for the edit)

Fomoco302

GottaBoss said:
Yes, exactly......that!

Do the Kooks side pipes fit on the stock H-pipe with that spacer in place?

(thanks for the edit)

To be honest if that spacer is there I never noticed it. All I have ever removed was the restrictor plate and the metal gasket behind it. :eek:
If it's a stock piece then yes it fits.

Fomoco302 said:
To be honest if that spacer is there I never noticed it. All I have ever removed was the restrictor plate and the metal gasket behind it. :eek:
If it's a stock piece then yes it fits.

Thanks for the info. Yes it's stock and it's there to allow a space for the electric cutouts.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado

GottaBoss said:
Thanks for the info. Yes it's stock and it's there to allow a space for the electric cutouts.

Possibly on the '13s 'cause there definitely isn't one on the '12s.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel