• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

You had me there for a second!!!

Now I want to do this mod. I'll sell the nitrous kit to pay for it :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!

steveespo said:
Well I got the CJ intake all buttoned up and the car reprogrammed...

Did you do the cams as well? In for dyno results / further drivability results :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child

JScheier said:
Did you do the cams as well? In for dyno results / further drivability results :)
John, no cams, that will wait until I have to replace the whole long block. Car is sick without them. I actually wonder how much advance and overlap the TiVCT can produce with stock profile. I know not as much as the CJ or Comp cams but its not necessarily the lift but the amount of area under the lift curves that allow for increased volumetric efficiencies.
In other words bigger cams through technology. I would love if Shaun or other tuners or a Ford Racing Powertrain engineer could elaborate even if only in generalities. I do know that a lot of aftermarket cams need phaser locks to prevent piston to valve contact, meaning they are already physically near the mechanical lift and duration limits.
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

steveespo said:
John, no cams, that will wait until I have to replace the whole long block. Car is sick without them. I actually wonder how much advance and overlap the TiVCT can produce with stock profile. I know not as much as the CJ or Comp cams but its not necessarily the lift but the amount of area under the lift curves that allow for increased volumetric efficiencies.
In other words bigger cams through technology. I would love if Shaun or other tuners or a Ford Racing Powertrain engineer could elaborate even if only in generalities. I do know that a lot of aftermarket cams need phaser locks to prevent piston to valve contact, meaning they are already physically near the mechanical lift and duration limits.
Steve

Mechanically, the GT heads don't have room for much, if any, higher lift cams. Via the tuning, cam advance, retard, and effective LSA are all adjustable so very different characteristics can be programmed to act like many different cams for different conditions. To some extent, longer duration cams can limit your adjustability as they approach PTV contact...hence the need for physical limiters with some big cams.

Until you change to Boss heads or get into the engine, I wouldn't bother with cams yet either. Looking forward to your updates!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.

steveespo said:
Monoblade yes, over 1200cfm flow. How they make any low end torque with it I don't know, but when I told Shaun at AED I had the twin 65 he said and I quote " nope, get a SCJ throttle body, tuning the twin 65 is like a Boss intake with a 90 mm, you need more air then that if you want to make power"

I said, won't that kill the torque and he said no.

We'll see what the dyno says.
Steve

Nice. I'm interested in the dyno as well. :)

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.

Waiting for it to come back from the shop with the extensive brake upgrade I purchased. Only thing I didn't do was the brake lines. Soon though.

Grant 302

14346597476_c5a81a5d29.jpg

14366362271_e7d2239aaa.jpg

Grant 302

NFSBOSS said:
I want a set. 8)

I got two tags for you. You'll need to source the caps from two cans of:
859df94b-f6d2-452e-81af-42704da59b63_400.jpg

PM or email your address and I'll have them in the mail next week. Key rings are on the tags.

Grant 302 said:
I got two tags for you. You'll need to source the caps from two cans of:
859df94b-f6d2-452e-81af-42704da59b63_400.jpg

PM or email your address and I'll have them in the mail next week. Key rings are on the tags.

Do you have two more?

Looks like a BMO "For Sale" opportunity 8)

Grant 302

Black Boss said:
Do you have two more?

Looks like a BMO "For Sale" opportunity 8)

Sorry, I don't...just found them on ebay. They come in several Boss 'matching' color combinations.
got them from this seller:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/rotary13b1/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
But they're widely available if you search for "REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT FABRIC KEY CHAIN" There are also "INSERT BEFORE FLIGHT" ones that would be good for keys. Got one like that for a friend with a GHIG.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....

Just mounted the Hoosier 295/315 combo for Weds at LRP. Also ordered H&R race springs, coilovers not in the budget now but thus should be a big improvement (?).

Will be selling P Springs soon. Great shape, $110 + shipping.

-Pete

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....

Black Boss said:
Did you need spacers up front?

I put 1/8" on per Cloud9's recommendation, but both he and I don't think they are needed with the Enkei wheels.

PeteInCT said:
Just mounted the Hoosier 295/315 combo for Weds at LRP. Also ordered H&R race springs, coilovers not in the budget now but thus should be a big improvement (?).

Will be selling P Springs soon. Great shape, $110 + shipping.

-Pete

Nice. I went from P springs to H&R race as well. I've been happy with the change.

Just over here chasing AZBOSS ::)

Centri5.0 and I got a few steps closer racecar status..... We started pulling out the interior trim, seat belts, airbags, and stereo equipment today. AC controls are gone but the physical removal of the system will occur at a later date. We decided to go with the watson racing plain center stack on the dash. May add some switches/gauges on down the road.

patrickshelby said:
Yes, I saw that!
Quite a good trick :)
End of the story: Could not bleed the clutch / removed trans / bled the slave cylinder on a banch / re installed trans / all is fine.
Did not have any code by starting the engine but got a few minutes limp mode going test the car (while pushing it to check the new clutch would shift upwards from 6K rpm).
The track day (June 4th) was the ONLY day within two weeks that it rained like HELL
Did not drive...
Will do better next time :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest lap times

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel