The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

What did you do to your Boss 302 or S197 today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Re: What did you do to your boss today?

Took her out for some spirited driving and bottomed out the Kooks side pipes. And the rattle returned. Seems the side pipes twisted a bit and they were hitting the pinch weld. Easy fix. While I was under there, I adjusted the UCA and locked her down. She's pretty much ready for my first track day of the season at High Plains Raceway in a few weeks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Got back from Watkins Glen at 10:30 last night and unloaded the trailer and truck. Great couple days with good friends. Two hitches, lost a session due to a galled lug stud which we repaired with a 3" grade 8 bolt (will remember to bring the spare studs and hubs to VIR/Mid Ohio) and a big thunderstorm right after lunch. Did manage 3-30 minute sessions and 90 miles on track, no records set but a bad day at the track is better than a good day at work. Will be turning the 21 around with pads and rotors and another cleaning prior to loading up for this weekend.
Steve

TMSBOSS said:
Track day at Blackhawk farms with DD336.

Good times for Mustangs.

Bad day for Corvette, expired engine. Also for a Honda which went into a corner with 4 wheels and came out with 3. Suspension still attached to wheel. OOPS.

First Boss track day ever for mine. Thanks TMSBOSS for all the help. Had a blast. Thanks so much for the NT05s they worked well and I was happy. All in all a great first experience other than Track Attack. Had a Mitsubishi driving out his mirror and spin out in front of me last session. Was able to get away no problem. I will have to start looking for some new rubber soon, as no way I'm gonna stop tracking now....way to much fun!! Gotta love out cars! Good luck at VIR!!!!!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Deputydog336 said:
as no way I'm gonna stop tracking now....way to much fun!!

My condolences to your wallet. Welcome to the club :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

DD336

When you are broke.....It ain't my fault!!!

Glad you had a good time.

Just back from tire shop. Had alignment changed. Now have 2.4- camber. Also have a fried left front. Not enough camber. New tire mounted.

Brakes going on now. Will load up for VIR tomorrow.

Will be a great time.

neema said:
You've been busy Ashley!

You have no idea, replaced whole front end body work, replace one tire, changed to braided brake hoses, repaired crushed side exhaust. Changed rear gears to 3:31's added a diff breather. ect.ect.ect. I guess I have been busy

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Session 2 at the Glen today the clutch pedal stuck to the floor at the top of the Esses. Managed to limp to the infield and got a tow back to the Paddock.

Pulled the pedal up and the clutch worked for 2 cycles and then stuck to the floor again and dumped Brake Fluid out of the front of the Bell Housing. Line from Master Cylinder to Trans is fine -- no leaks, so I'm guessing it's a failed Slave cylinder -- probably soaked the clutch too, which will mean that's trashed :mad:.

Good news is that we got some great laps at the Glen :) :)

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Black Boss said:
Session 2 at the Glen today the clutch pedal stick to the floor at the top of the Esses. Managed to limp to the infield and got a tow back to the Paddock.

Pulled the pedal up and the clutch worked for 2 cycles and then stuck to the floor again and dumped Brake Fluid out of the front of the Bell Housing. Line from Master Cylinder to Trans is fine -- no leaks, so I'm guessing it's a failed Slave cylinder -- probably soaked the clutch too, which will mean that's trashed :mad:.

Good news is that we got some great laps at the Glen :) :)

Is the RXT a metallic or ceramic surfaced clutch??? If so, it should clean up.

Call McLeod and ask them.

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Black Boss said:
It's Ceramic. Anyone know whether it will clean up and if so how?

Thanks!

Brake kleen should take care of it if it isn't really bad. After cleaning a couple times check and see if the friction material looks stained, if so the fluid is saturated into the lining. Keep spraying it with brake kleen until it evaporates to a "dry" look.
See you Sunday
Steve

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

Black Boss said:
Not going to VIR this weekend, doing Mid Ohio with Chin on Monday & Tuesday, and then VIR a week later.....

Enjoy!

Cool. Should have plenty of time to swap out the throw out bearing.

I wish I had time to make all the tracks you are heading to.

Maybe next year.

Enjoy.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

Good news, no Brake fluid on the clutch, however must have picked up some gravel into the Bell housing via the Trans scoop during the tow in down the gravel road on the infield that then found it's way into the clutch during the 2 successful re-engagements before the slave gave up fully - flywheel needs to be turned to remove a score....

Trans scoop and under trays were full of gravel.....

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Black Boss said:
Good news, no Brake fluid on the clutch, however must have picked up some gravel into the Bell housing via the Trans scoop during the tow in down the gravel road on the infield that then found it's way into the clutch during the 2 successful re-engagements before the slave gave up fully - flywheel needs to be turned to remove a score....

Trans scoop and under trays were full of gravel.....
Good news, you are having the work done at a dealer? You are good for Monday right? Don't forget the crank relearn.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN

Replaced front lug stud that galled out on Monday at Watkins Glen, now have four front spares and five rear spares in my tool box. Also have the 3" grade 8 bolt we used to get me back out for the last 2 sessions. Went through the front and rear brakes and found some things that were causing a shudder that I thought were brake pad transfer. Right side Howe ball joint loose, so adjusted the lash on both. Right side needed quarter turn, left needed one eighth. More disturbing was left side control arm pivot bolt was loose and the arm arm was able to move fore and aft. Tightened bolt to spec and movement is gone. Everyone with 302S type suspensions please check bolt torque regularly.
Loading up for VIR and Mid Ohio tomorrow with 2 sets of slicks and the horrible Toyo R888s for rain tires. Can't burn those puppies down!
Steve

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan

steveespo said:
Good news, you are having the work done at a dealer? You are good for Monday right? Don't forget the crank relearn.
Steve

Yes -- Had assumed I could pick up a high Tranny Lift at Harbor Freight, but it's online order only. Dealer was booked so a local performance shop is doing the work, including the re-learn.....

TMO Supporting Vendors